Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Rescues - How to help rescue other kiters?

Forum for kitesurfers
Windrider
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Location: Kailua, Hawaii, currently riding EH and OR kites (2013 Razor rocks!)
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Rescues - How to help rescue other kiters?

Postby Windrider » Wed May 09, 2007 7:18 pm

In the context of trying to help other people in the water, any pointers on best techniques for rescuing a board, a kite, a person?

I have tried rescuing a board before with some luck. Drop down in water next to floating board; grab it with one hand using thumb under grab handle leaving fingers free to grab onto my bar. Put both hands on my bar with their board dangling from my thumb, and gently power up. Once underway, might be possible to fly my kite with one hand while holding their board in my free hand. Just go slow and keep chanting the mantra, "Slow and easy. Any progress is good progress...."

Never tried rescuing a person, but I would expect to drop down in water close to them. Let them grab onto my harness' back strap, and then simply body drag both of us, not even trying to stand up.

Would never try to rescue a kite. I have no idea on how to approach it.

Tommyboy
Medium Poster

Postby Tommyboy » Wed May 09, 2007 11:30 pm

Who has a (good) method for rescuing a kite? Good question.
I think trying to pick the kite up out of the water is out of the question.
What about just grabbing a wingtip and pulling it in like you would when rescuing a person? Not standing up at all just body dragging. this would work ,and has for me. Just be sure you dont get tangled in the lines which can be pretty scary, pretty quick. :o

kitepilot
Medium Poster

Postby kitepilot » Wed May 09, 2007 11:44 pm

Greets,
I saw a guy attach his kite leash to the wingtip pig tail attachment point and drag a kite in successfully. This was after I unsuccessfully tried to pull kite in with my free hand, It was filling up with water and to heavy for me to pull in. A lot less resistance from the wingtip and the leash was strong enough to pull it in. I was impressed, and think that if I had to rescue a kite I would let out air from Leading edge bladder and use the same technique.
KP

tautologies
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tautologies » Wed May 09, 2007 11:53 pm

I've just grabbed the leading edge runaway kitws and dragged the whole rig in ....bar bouncing 30 meters behind me. Someone at the beach sees it and comes out and grab it in the water...

It really isn;t any harder than grabbing board, or having a person hold on to your harness....I haven't tried having anyone be on eht board yet...

In underpowered conditions it is harder though....since you have to work so hard with you bar.

A.

Windrider
Very Frequent Poster
Location: Kailua, Hawaii, currently riding EH and OR kites (2013 Razor rocks!)

Postby Windrider » Thu May 10, 2007 12:20 am

Video! VIdeo! We need a video on rescuing techniques for rescuing boards, people, and/or kites!

Yo! MissionMan! You out there?

caribeanwind
Medium Poster

Postby caribeanwind » Thu May 10, 2007 1:27 am

You Need A Boat!!! :thumb:
Attachments
calima.jpg
calima.jpg (41.5 KiB) Viewed 1665 times

Beachbum1236
Frequent Poster
Style: All around.
Gear: 13m 2008 Slingshot Fuel, 2008 9m Slingshot Fuel, 2006 Slingshot 17 fuel, 2010 132 Len10 Lunacy, Custom bar configuration.
Brand Affiliation: Exuma Kitesurfing, Slingshot.

Postby Beachbum1236 » Thu May 10, 2007 2:03 am

caribeanwind wrote:You Need A Boat!!! :thumb:
Attachments
P10301634.JPG
Recommended Horsepower 20.
So, I put a 50 Horse on it...
gotta have something to play with during summer time
P10301634.JPG (106.44 KiB) Viewed 1643 times

Lord of the Boards
Frequent Poster

Postby Lord of the Boards » Thu May 10, 2007 2:12 am

Rescue a board:

Stop next to the board. Power the kite, so you can start and steer with one hand on the bar. Grab the board with your front hand on the handle or strap. Start off by steering the kite with your back hand.
Making a turn: Get the kite to 11 (or 1) and make a boardpass with the rescuued board behind your back. Steer the kite with the other hand and make the turn. You can also let go of the board, mak the turn, and pick it up again. Never attach the board to a leash, because you can injure yourself.

Rescue a kite:

Stay upwind of the kite, in case it rolls over/ is being picked up with the wind. Grab the wingtip. Make sure you keep your kite in the directioen away from the rescued kite. Bee carefull not be caught by the lines of the rescued kite. They are always upwind of it.
If you have the wingtip, make the kite roll over on its back. If possible, detach the lines on one side (safer for you). Work your way up to the middle of the LE or to the 5th line.
If you are sure you have a good grip on the kite, power your own kite, to steer it with one hand.
Make sure you can let go of the rescued kite at any time, without having trouble with the lines.
Sign in for someone to take over the kite from you once you are on the beach.

Rescue a person:

Stop next to the person and tell him to lay down on his board and grab the handle on your harness. Pull him to shore. Never mind where, as long as he is on land, he will be safe.

These are my experiences with rescue. If there are better ideas about rescue, I'd like to hear them.

Basic rules: If you can, you have to help. But you only have to help if you are sure about what you're doing. Always rescue the person first. If he's safe you can think of rescueing the equipment.
If a kite or board is not rescued, sign in the coastguard, so they won't be searching for someone who is already rescued when they find the kite or board.

tautologies
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tautologies » Thu May 10, 2007 2:24 am

Beachbum1236 wrote:
Hey, be careful with putting too much engine on a boat that has a recommendation...we experimented with that and even after strengthening the rear we ended up breaking the whole back wall (where it intersects with the floor) off the boat...and yes we were about 3 miles from shore...we managed to drive it back in, but too slow the water would pour into the boat...too fast it looked like the engine would come into the boat..we could actually see water running between the back wall and the floor. It was fairly terrifying knowing the water was about 40 degrees...

a.

Beachbum1236
Frequent Poster
Style: All around.
Gear: 13m 2008 Slingshot Fuel, 2008 9m Slingshot Fuel, 2006 Slingshot 17 fuel, 2010 132 Len10 Lunacy, Custom bar configuration.
Brand Affiliation: Exuma Kitesurfing, Slingshot.

Postby Beachbum1236 » Thu May 10, 2007 3:05 am

tautologies wrote:
Beachbum1236 wrote:
Hey, be careful with putting too much engine on a boat that has a recommendation...we experimented with that and even after strengthening the rear we ended up breaking the whole back wall (where it intersects with the floor) off the boat...and yes we were about 3 miles from shore...we managed to drive it back in, but too slow the water would pour into the boat...too fast it looked like the engine would come into the boat..we could actually see water running between the back wall and the floor. It was fairly terrifying knowing the water was about 40 degrees...

a.
thanks for that T. It's just the Coast guard trying to be over protective.:lol: You should come down during regatta. All of the Long island Boys with their 15ft Whalers (old style) with 90-115hp engines are driving around. But I have taken all of the safety precautions, (extra tools, cooler, beer, kill switch, and an extra tank of gas anytime i drive it around) lol. I'll be as carefull as I can.

thanks for the concern!! :thumb:

Return to “Kitesurfing”