Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

New boards in the market made my old board (2005) obsolete?

Forum for kitesurfers
Fer1000er
Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: Takoon
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

New boards in the market made my old board (2005) obsolete?

Postby Fer1000er » Mon May 14, 2007 1:11 pm

I'm asking for your help, because I'm feeling that the marketing of new board is getting in to my brain...and creating the feeling that maybe I need a new board....so maybe somebody already went for a similar process and can give some feedback.

I love my only all around board, a twintip 125 x 36 (cardboard 2005) I'm 65Kg, but like before Bows...I was loving my C-shape kites....and Now I'm asking myself how I could have enjoyed so much a C-shape kite.....

I base all my decision on Kiteforum comments from users like you...and this never fail...now my analisis is telling me that boards like NOBILE, UG and others, are clearly designed and build in a different way.

So the question is: New Boards are making old boards obsolete?

Thanks for your help

Fernando
Last edited by Fer1000er on Mon May 14, 2007 2:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.

tautologies
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby tautologies » Mon May 14, 2007 2:02 pm

I think the boards in 2005 were very good...there are developments, and changes, but calling them obsolete is an exaggeration...I must say I've gotten better on my 07 Thorn than I was before, but I think the board suited me a lot better than the shorter UG flx..which is still a good board. So no, I don't think 05 boards are obsolete..but I do think there has been some development in technology...

What fits or not is individual as well...and depends on conditions, and riding style.

A.

panchito
Very Frequent Poster

Re: New boards in the market made my old board (2005) obsole

Postby panchito » Mon May 14, 2007 4:28 pm

Fer1000er wrote:I'm asking for your help, because I'm feeling that the marketing of new board is getting in to my brain...and creating the feeling that maybe I need a new board....so maybe somebody already went for a similar process and can give some feedback.

I love my only all around board, a twintip 125 x 36 (cardboard 2005) I'm 65Kg, but like before Bows...I was loving my C-shape kites....and Now I'm asking myself how I could have enjoyed so much a C-shape kite.....

I base all my decision on Kiteforum comments from users like you...and this never fail...now my analisis is telling me that boards like NOBILE, UG and others, are clearly designed and build in a different way.

So the question is: New Boards are making old boards obsolete?

Thanks for your help

Fernando
Are you happy with your board ? if yes keep it.... so simple

New boards ( most of them ) have a better flex, different shapes and nowadays cause of the bows they are now getting wider ( 41 cm + ) so they offer you a better low end and same high end as older boards...

I changed my custom 130 x 39 board when I moved to Bows, now I have a 136 x 43 board and would never go back to a " small " board ever...

Have been testing several new generation boards 130/132 x 40/41 and I found them all to be just to nervous for my taste...

But again , its all a question of personal taste..... try some 07 boards and you will know it better...

Saludos

eldadgold
Very Frequent Poster

Postby eldadgold » Mon May 14, 2007 5:08 pm

i have a fone style 2005.
i am thinking of changing to a newer board.
i tried takoon karma
fone deamon, trax.
nobile 666
naish thorn,sol
my board is by far better for me and for what i'm looking for.

so i guess the answer is- no.

damo
Medium Poster

Postby damo » Mon May 14, 2007 6:43 pm

I to have a 2005 F-OneStyle and have no intenion of changing it, Its as good as any board i have seen this year, Rides so smoooth and buttery love it. :thumb:

munteruk
Frequent Poster

Postby munteruk » Tue May 15, 2007 3:32 am

I think board improvements have slowed down a little. The changes are incremental, not revolutionary. Snowboard construction and controlled flex are common now and some manufacturers have been doing this since 2004.
If you're happy with the board then I would disregard the marketing hype and keep riding it.

Kite design on the other hand is charging along at full tilt. There have been some huge gains made since 2005.

laz
Very Frequent Poster

Postby laz » Tue May 15, 2007 3:47 am

my 05 LF drop 130 suckz. i got it new for only 200 i quess you get what you pay for. that thing weighs like twice as much as a board should. and holds a edge horribly and is soo stiff it hurts your ankles and knees alot when its rough. the board has amazing pop though and cool graphics. i think its time i need to upgrade once i get the cash.

tautologies
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tautologies » Tue May 15, 2007 5:12 am

munteruk wrote:I think board improvements have slowed down a little. The changes are incremental, not revolutionary. Snowboard construction and controlled flex are common now and some manufacturers have been doing this since 2004.
If you're happy with the board then I would disregard the marketing hype and keep riding it.

Kite design on the other hand is charging along at full tilt. There have been some huge gains made since 2005.
EXACTLY!!!!! Although I think the Thorn is the best board I have ever ridden, it doesn't make a two year old board obsolete. Neither would any other board, especially as has been said in this thread already if you like the board you ride. If you compare it to a board from 2001..then yeah it'll be completely different.

..but of course you might just be ready for something new, which is a different matter. My riding changed, and I was ready to try some new boards...

A.

spork
Very Frequent Poster

Re: New boards in the market made my old board (2005) obsole

Postby spork » Tue May 15, 2007 5:16 am

Fer1000er wrote:So the question is: New Boards are making old boards obsolete?
Yes, your 2005 board is quite definitely obsolete. You should send it to me to replace the board I bought used for $100 in 2003. :D

dazza5172
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Middleton, Port Willunga, Mid Coast
Favorite Beaches: Middleton, U-Turns
Style: Wave
Gear: North Rebels, North Rocket Fish, North Freestyle Fish

Postby dazza5172 » Tue May 15, 2007 5:57 am

Replace foot pads and straps if they are getting hard and worn out, gives you new super comfort and that fresh feeling.

Many times a new board feels so good because of these things too.

Daz

Return to “Kitesurfing”