Forum for kitesurfers
not2oldyet
Rare Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

3 LIne kite Dangerous??

Postby not2oldyet » Thu May 17, 2007 1:15 pm

Why did they stop making the UFO SOF-X 3 line kite. Are they dangerous?

AdrenalinDriven
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Wakestyle
Gear: Those dangerous C shaped ones

Postby AdrenalinDriven » Thu May 17, 2007 8:16 pm

Why would anybody want a three line kite? Can you draw a picture? I see no logical way that would be beneficial

scklandl
Very Frequent Poster
Style: all

Postby scklandl » Thu May 17, 2007 9:42 pm

ALL our kites are "three liners" (a minor exception could be debated for those with an active fifthline system but I dont count that cuz its a ridiculous/ retarded/ reDUMBdant/ and ineffcient system)

SOFX was trying to catch the anti 5 line backlash so they basically made a Y bridle shorter than anyone elses system and called it a three line kite. No its no any more dangerous than any other kite unless put in the wrong hands. Its still a CL depowerable C kite like anyother from 05 (06??)

not2oldyet
Rare Poster

3line kite dangerous?

Postby not2oldyet » Thu May 17, 2007 10:59 pm

thanks for the info- better safe than sorry

jakemoore
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2003
Gear: More wing than kite

Postby jakemoore » Fri May 18, 2007 12:27 am

What boggles me even more is why Flysurfer went from 3 to 4 lines. I thought having only 3 lines was great. You do need a fatter centerline.

Jake

not2oldyet
Rare Poster

3 line kite

Postby not2oldyet » Fri May 18, 2007 1:43 am

this is the case on the UFO the centre line is much thicker. Thing is i never recd. any instructions about the outside lines and i keep getting conflicting information; some say its not a safe kite that its too hard to land, that it turns slow that the bladders burst and others say its a good kite. I inflated the kite and it seems like its well built could there have been some improvements in the kites that were sewn in the latter part of 2006.

surfingwithkites
Very Frequent Poster

Postby surfingwithkites » Fri May 18, 2007 2:06 am

I saw a three line kite in new cal. Looked very stable but turning was really slow. Maybe that is the problem?

munteruk
Frequent Poster

Postby munteruk » Fri May 18, 2007 4:06 am

surfingwithkites wrote:I saw a three line kite in new cal. Looked very stable but turning was really slow. Maybe that is the problem?
If the Y bridle is short and the single line long then the kite has a tendency to rock around the intersection of the Y. I think this slows down the turning because it allows the kite to rocking doesn't cause the kite to turn as effectively as distorting/twisting the canopy with steering line tension.

AFAIK, the other issue with a three liner is that you lose the ability to flag out onto a front line safety. Depending on the design of the kite and the attitude of the company, this could be a show-stopper.

Return to “Kitesurfing”