Impact vest buoyant enough?

Forum for kitesurfers
gail4ce
Rare Poster
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Impact vest buoyant enough?

Postby gail4ce » Tue May 22, 2007 8:17 pm

My coworker Ryan is still harassing me with questions about what gear to get.. thanks for all the feedback on the Link, it seems he'll take my original advice and buy my old 5-line Wipi Matrix (which is a great kite btw) to beat up before he gets a new flat kite, maybe the Link if they're still on sale.

Now he's killing me with the harness and vest issues..

If he gets the impact vest style, is there enough buoyancy or should he go waist and life vest?

He'll be learning in the Bay area so he'll be likely floundering around a lot in cold water and strong currents, although not for long as he's really been killing it on the trainer :thumb:

PS He's looking for a trainer kite sponsor as he's nasty on it!

Tweaky
Medium Poster

Postby Tweaky » Tue May 22, 2007 8:30 pm

When learning having flotation really helps and makes things safer and easier to get up. After about a year you can go to a thinner impact vest and then nothing if you feel like it.

xspataro
Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby xspataro » Tue May 22, 2007 10:04 pm

im also in the same situation, just that without the currents... Ive been really thinking in getting a floatation or impact vest. I finally came to the desicion of buying an impact... a flotation is too big and chuncky, when i dont really need THAT much floatation. Im a begginer so i do find floatation usefull, but i think an impact one would be better for kiting.

But still, i have the same question, how much does an impact vest helps in your floatation like from 1-10

thnx a lot
im sure the original poster would also appreciate these anweres

KiteSmurfer
Frequent Poster

Postby KiteSmurfer » Tue May 22, 2007 10:46 pm

that would depend on the impact vest - some are super thin some are made of thicker softer form - how long is a piece of string?

nab1000
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: 757, 252
Style: Wake
Gear: LF HiFi's, Influence 138, LF Cabs
Brand Affiliation: Wave Riding Vehicle Surfboards

Postby nab1000 » Tue May 22, 2007 10:49 pm

i have an 06 DaKine impact vest that floats very well... its not coast gaurd approved but it can pretty easly hold me above the water. THe 07 model is different but would think it would have enough floatation in it as the 06. I mostly use the impact vest for new tricks and not for flotation though.

You can get good impact/life vest from wakeboard shops and they are not bulkey at all.

-here is a good life jacket that you might look into http://realkiteboarding.com/index.cfm?p ... uctID=8962

The dakine impact vest might be your best bet though, however, the 07 model is not something i have used yet, so not sure about the flotation
- http://realkiteboarding.com/index.cfm?p ... uctID=8523

North_Wind
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Rhosneigr
Big Bay, Cape Town
Style: cruising and jumping
Gear: Duotone

Postby North_Wind » Tue May 22, 2007 11:19 pm

I use the North vest which is certainly floaty enough .... makes me bob around like a cork. Better still, it is a cool black colour and the flotation pads are in the shape of a six-pack making me look ripped which, sadly, when I remove my gear, I am not.

North Wind

gail4ce
Rare Poster

Postby gail4ce » Wed May 23, 2007 12:30 am

KiteSmurfer wrote:that would depend on the impact vest - some are super thin some are made of thicker softer form - how long is a piece of string?
Kitesmurfer - from Ontario! So am I - your post made us laugh out loud - I'm sure our non kite fanatic coworkers are getting tired of us laughing and talking about gear but had to give you props on that one!

G

KiteSmurfer
Frequent Poster

Postby KiteSmurfer » Wed May 23, 2007 12:38 am

I've got a liquid force one on order - designed to be used with a waist harness.

I tried on a bunch of other impact vests in the local wakeboard shop and few of them would have worked with a waist harness - to many clips to dig in or too bulky.

Where abouts in Ontario are you? I am in London and am getting my vest through this company: Windtraxx powerkiting

KiteSurfingKen
Frequent Poster

Postby KiteSurfingKen » Wed May 23, 2007 4:57 am

I use a Kayak Paddling Vest most often. It has good side, front, and back protection plus good mobility.
There are Adjustable straps all over. Once adjusted I tie them up so they don't dangle.
A pocket in front for gloves or other items.
A strap around the bottom to keep it in place.
And it is Coast Guard approved so I can also use it with my Jet Ski too.
The wind on our lake is fickle sometimes and having the extra flotation is nice when it quits and you are half a mile offshore (in the middle of the lake).
Good Winds,
Ken

Northern Monkey
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: East Coast, Western Cape, South Africa.
Style: Wave and Freestyle
Gear: Kites: Rabbits: 5m 7m, 9m, 10.5m
Twinnies: Wainman Joke UG Crypt 2011
Waves: Firewire 6.0 Gerraty 6.0 UG Skim
Brand Affiliation: Wainman

Impact Vest

Postby Northern Monkey » Wed May 23, 2007 10:54 am

A friend of mine a pro kitesurfer and fellow instructor nearly lost his life this season when his Tabu rode up under his ribs whilst performing a kiteloop handlepass in 20+ knots. He ruptured his spleen causing internal bleeding. He was an hour from certain death. Had to have his spleen removed and is on antibiotics for the next two years.

Since then he has adopted the impact harness from Dakine and never looked backed. This seasons vests are allot more versitile in their construction allowing for movement and flexibility.

NOT PIMPING JUST LOOKING OUT FOR OTHERS!!

Monkey
Attachments
Matrix.jpg
Matrix.jpg (13.9 KiB) Viewed 3333 times
Impact-Harness.jpg
Impact-Harness.jpg (24.43 KiB) Viewed 3333 times

Return to “Kitesurfing”