Boxer SLE survey - Use 2:1 or 1:1

Forum for kitesurfers
makalu
Rare Poster
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Boxer SLE survey - Use 2:1 or 1:1

Postby makalu » Sat May 26, 2007 2:39 pm

Just got a 15 sle. Rigged 2:1 bar out of the box.
Local conditions, 10 to 12 knot wind, flat water.
The kite behaved absolutely horribly. Just didn't
want to stay in the sky. Kept falling into the water.
And would not relaunch too ( at our launch the
wind's good high up, but very week at the water
level).

Carried it back ashore and switched to 1:1 setup. Went
and this time it rocked. No issues
relaunching too.

Checked with couple of local great lakes area instructers
who use sle's, both prefer 1:1 setup.

So this survey

Do you ride 1:1 or 2:1, and under what conditions.

I would only want to ride 1:1 now, switched from
C kites to this first SLE. Turning seams to be a little
slow compared to the hype on naish site, And offcourse
it doesn't do anything to your biceps too :wink:

uncleneil
Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby uncleneil » Sat May 26, 2007 2:52 pm

1:1 always. If you want to ride a pulley bar, ride a c-kite. Pullies on the bar on bows SUCK!!!!!!!

tautologies
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tautologies » Sat May 26, 2007 10:15 pm

I generally ride mine on the 1:1 but if the wind is strong enough / stronger I ride it 2:1..I'd prefer the 2:1 in strong wind, and waves....

\Now of course, I have not tried the 15, but my 9 turns really fast (I'd say above average...and way faster than my old 10 C-kite (I'll not mention any brand here) which would be the comparable size due to the projected area... , and I don't think it is hype at all....but maybe you need to ride the kite in more powered conditions....
:-)

Also, if you even need self landing, try the "pro attachment" on the bar...I've been landing it like that the last few session, and the kite just sits down on its side, and wait for me to come over and put it down. Really nice.

A.

Rolavi2
Medium Poster

Postby Rolavi2 » Sun May 27, 2007 2:05 am

I had the same issue the first time I used the 12 and 15 slightly underpowered. Use 1 to 1 now on all (15,12,9 & 7.5) execpt 7.5 on occasion. IMHO: I love them and find them very quick tuning. The 15 is a very big powerful kite. I personally compare it to 2006 18m c-kite for power and find the kite nible in comparision.

I just got a Naish 5'5" fish and may try 2-to-1 for downwinders in the surf.

tautologies
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tautologies » Sun May 27, 2007 3:33 am

Rolavi2 wrote: I just got a Naish 5'5" fish and may try 2-to-1 for downwinders in the surf.
I just had mine out now, and what a blast. It does ride differently from thruster boards, and has a much more sliding feel to it. If you feel that you slide out try to push harder on your back foot...also consider taking off the back foot strap :-)

I've ridden it more strapless lately, but had the straps on today. It doesn't (of course) dig in as well as the 5'4'' quad, but you can ride it in super light winds....and once you get the balance it can actually make a nice splash off the lip :-)

A.

cglazier
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Naish, Flysurfer, Alpine, Moses

Postby cglazier » Sun May 27, 2007 3:57 am

Everyone around here rides their Boxer SLE kites 1:1.

You will love the 15m, it is the most responsive big kite I have ever owned. Turns quick, easy to kiteloop, brings fun back into light wind kiting.

:wink:
Chris Glazier

DBKITER
Medium Poster

Postby DBKITER » Sun May 27, 2007 4:54 am

Tried to do a lesson today with 07' 9m boxer SLE in 2 to 1 mode.,
absolutely HATED IT because low end was so good there was no need to turn it!,
just pull in bar and go!!.Thought kite turned about as fast as a 2001 16m ARX!!.
I will switch out to 1 to one, and see what happens.
If I wanted a kite with those characteristics, I would be teaching at a cable park!,
hope 1 to one improves handleing!, thank god we have Torch if it doesn't. :o

Rolavi2
Medium Poster

Postby Rolavi2 » Mon May 28, 2007 11:58 am

A.

I tweaked my mcl a little in Hatteras last week so I will be riding my new board strapless when I get back on the water. Good excuse to dial my directional strapless skills.

What fins came on your fish? Mine has little flexible plastic fins. Not too impressed and could imagine the board sliding out a lot with those fins.

Rolavi

Rimbo
Medium Poster

Postby Rimbo » Mon May 28, 2007 12:18 pm

Got the 9 since januari. Used it 1:1 only. But when the wind will be blowing above 30 knots, I will try the 2:1...

Got the 12 since last week, used it only once in 14-15 knots. Also on 1:1, no need to use it 2:1. Low bar pressure, but the steering is a hell of a lot slower than the 9, really big difference.

And upwind with the 12 was really difficult, while with the 9 it is extremely easy. Use 2007 Nobile 555 130, excellent upwind board, so don't understand what I'm doing wrong.

tautologies
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tautologies » Mon May 28, 2007 2:17 pm

Rolavi2 wrote:A.

I tweaked my mcl a little in Hatteras last week so I will be riding my new board strapless when I get back on the water. Good excuse to dial my directional strapless skills.

What fins came on your fish? Mine has little flexible plastic fins. Not too impressed and could imagine the board sliding out a lot with those fins.

Rolavi
Yeah, I got the same fins...I have not replaced them because the spot I've used the board is so reefy that I grind them down pretty good...I've been thinking about it though. That said I kinda like the sliding feel that it sometimes have, going off the top of the wave and slide out is nice (still I am practicing..not very good at it)...but if you put your foot back you'll really feel the fish tail digging in, and act like a fin...I have a lot of weight on m y back foot, and the board holds a lot of power through a super quick turn...
The only time the board slides out is when I have ridden my 5'4'' quad a lot because the boards turn so differently...but once I ride it for a few minutes, there isn't a lot of sliding out...I try to go from side to side fairly quickly and pronounced in the turns.

When I think of it the fins is the only thing I reacted to on that board, but when I rode it I liked it so much I've never really felt it was a big problem...but of course if the board could get better from it, I'd be happy to try it :-)
..I've been thinking of checking it out with more solid fins...(note to self: remember to check out new fins)....

:-)
A. (sh!t sorry for hijacking the thread)

under is my fish on a light wind day...the board really does dig in...
Attachments
lanikai_kiting_apr07 021.jpg
lanikai_kiting_apr07 021.jpg (97.35 KiB) Viewed 1721 times

Return to “Kitesurfing”