Forum for kitesurfers
feli
Medium Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

anyone on STARKITES?

Postby feli » Sat Jun 02, 2007 9:48 am

Since i found out about Starkites i wanna try the Stopper-system. They use an ADJUSTABLE Spinlock that works on a plastik center-line (similar to the centerline of Cabrinha kites).
BUT IT IS NOT POSSIBLE TO BUY ONLY THE SPINLOCK!!! And who spends about 300 euro for the complete bar when all you need is the tiny Spinlock?

So i am thinking about to buy a complete kite though i need a smaller one for strong winds.

Has anybody experience with these kites? I am a beginner and use Cabrinha SB2 only. Are they similar???

kitesurfgrancanaria
Medium Poster
Gear: flysurfer

Starkites

Postby kitesurfgrancanaria » Sat Jun 02, 2007 7:00 pm

I have an 13 and a 8.
The 8 is an amazing kite, it may seem too fast on the beggining but after a couple of sessions you'll love it
Definitely recommended.
Cheers. CRIS

lucie
Frequent Poster
Style: freestyle
Gear: Airush Diamond kites and Airush Diamond board.

Postby lucie » Sat Jun 02, 2007 7:21 pm

I haven't flown this years starkite. I learnt on one last year - I had the 8m and loved it. I flew it in everything from 14kts to 30+kts - weight 55 kgs, 127 x 38.5cm board and on flat water (in fact the avatar to the left is me riding the 8m a couple of months after I started learning). The bar was - I now realise - quite heavy but I understand that you can take off the pulleys this year and the bar will be lighter. Having said that, the pulleys worked great for me when learning as turning errors were softened. If this year's starkite is as good as last year's then I would go for it. The only adjustment I made was to put a flexifoil quick release on the chicken loop, as I didn't like the original one a whole lot - and to be honest the stopper came off my bar after a few goes, but I found I didn't need the stopper anyway.

I really like starkites - but have been given Ozones to fly this year - which is why I've not got this year's starkite. I left my old 8m with the beach boys in Vietnam in March, as they couldn't afford a kite of their own. They loved flying it! Last weekend the wind was too much for my 11m Ozone so I went out on last year's 5m starkite which I borrowed from a local school and it was the best session I have had for a few months. It was like putting on a pair of comfy old shoes.

Sorry for going on. I miss my kite and wish I hadn't given it to the beach boys in vietnam - but hoping some good karma will come to me as a result!!

ronnie
Very Frequent Poster

Postby ronnie » Sat Jun 02, 2007 9:13 pm

This site is selling the bar for 190 euro.
http://www.flysurf.com/frontblocks/shop ... 2-3183.htm#

ronnie
Very Frequent Poster

Postby ronnie » Sun Jun 03, 2007 7:52 am

Hi Feli,
The Cabrinha Omega has light steering in 1:1 mode. A friend tried my 9m Omega back-to-back with a 12m Switchblade and says the Omega is lighter (which may not be a fair test) and I also found it easy to steer with one hand on a 55cm Contra bar. He said it was perfect for cruising upwind with one hand. If you do get a Starkites bar, it should work with quite a few other non-pulley bow kites.
Ronnie

feli
Medium Poster

Postby feli » Sun Jun 03, 2007 6:23 pm

thx for your advice!

Think i would like to try the SLS stopper system of the bar before i am going to buy a complete kite.
IF IT IS WORKING AS I NEED IT, I LL BUY FOR SURE A SMALL KITE (8m) OF THIS BRAND ...according to your respose the kite has a good response and moves fast...thats what i am looking for:)

The Spinlock has to work fine because i am going to do my first jumps right now:) YIPIEEEE

windsuks
Very Frequent Poster
Style: surf/old school
Gear: Airush/North/Ozone/RRD

Postby windsuks » Sun Jun 03, 2007 7:08 pm

Dont mean to brand bash, but from what I've seen of them they seem very unstable in the sky, even inverting at the zenith!

Just my observations.

Europ2
Frequent Poster

Postby Europ2 » Mon Jun 04, 2007 8:00 pm

ronnie wrote:This site is selling the bar for 190 euro.
http://www.flysurf.com/frontblocks/shop ... 2-3183.htm#
Yes but to get them at this price, you need to buy the kite with it, 250 euros for bar without kite

munteruk
Frequent Poster

Postby munteruk » Tue Jun 05, 2007 1:50 am

feli wrote:thx for your advice!

The Spinlock has to work fine because i am going to do my first jumps right now:) YIPIEEEE
Just to be sure that you know - a stopper isn't necessary for jumping. It can be helpful if you want to do one or no handed jumps but if you're just starting to jump then you'll probably want to keep both hands on the bar.

Good luck and have fun with it.

If you are just looking for an off the shelf yachting component (I thought spinlock was a specific product or company?) try a sailing chandlery - starkites must have sourced the component from somewhere. You may be able to just buy the one part you need rather than the whole bar.

feli
Medium Poster

Postby feli » Tue Jun 05, 2007 5:15 pm

Yes i would jump with two hands on the bar. But i can´t because i have just one arm. That´s why i am surching for a stopper system that workes as i want it to. :bye:

Return to “Kitesurfing”