Forum for kitesurfers
deltawake
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby deltawake » Tue Jun 05, 2007 12:11 am

Toby wrote:all these names for just a grab are ridiculous... :duh:
You have to respect the origins of the sport. It all came from skateboarding anyway. If you're the kind of person who like to progress and cares style then it is important. Some grabs with some trick are way harder to do and some people ( in many different board sports) want a way to define what they're doing.
Just take the time to learn - it could save you from looking like a kook on the water :thumb:

kjelleren
Very Frequent Poster

Postby kjelleren » Tue Jun 05, 2007 1:54 am

Kiteboarding came from Skateboarding? Not on my planet.

geopeck
Frequent Poster

grab names

Postby geopeck » Tue Jun 05, 2007 4:48 am

all the grab names came from skating. Noone else has ever really needed to grab the board as much as vert skaters did. And leaning in or back or out enough to grab the board indy or stalefish *really* changed the projection and flow of the trick, sometimes meaning a lot more commitment.

Grabbing the board in strapped sports does feel good but it doesn't really mean much more than if you did a 360 while scratching your head or rubbing your belly - in fact, that would be really impressive if you did both.

deltawake
Very Frequent Poster

Postby deltawake » Tue Jun 05, 2007 5:34 am

True. Grabbing while strapped is not needed but it does make a lot of stuff both harder to do and smoother to look at. Like it or not it is a part of the sport. Style is what makes the difference between a good rider and an excellent one - even when riding waves. So if you want to do "wake style" learn the trick names and the grabs and be true to the roots.

canefan
Rare Poster

Postby canefan » Tue Jun 05, 2007 5:37 am

that PKRA website is garbage, imo. I mean showing a boost, hooked in backroll for a wakestyle backroll? way more confusing than it should be. just check out wakeboarding sites and they have the real moves for the wakestyle stuff. but yea, hoochies/OOH/backroll are good next tricks along with frontrolls and go from there.

and as for the different names of the grabs, its a lot easier to say indy grab instead of toeside between the bindings grab. :lol:

pndLA
Frequent Poster
Favorite Beaches: brazil, west-oz, capetown, MRU, Lanzarote, Tarifa...
Style: Waves & Foil
Gear: Slingshot / Ozone / North / LEVITAZ Foils
Brand Affiliation: Slingshot, Ozone, North, Gaastra,

Postby pndLA » Wed Jun 06, 2007 10:28 pm

names for grabs are not ridiculous!
they symbols for roots of the sport!

SS Kiter
Frequent Poster

Postby SS Kiter » Thu Jun 07, 2007 1:29 pm

4rest
Medium Poster

Postby 4rest » Thu Jun 07, 2007 5:07 pm

Grabs in sports where you're attached to the board are more than just style or difficulty. In Snowboarding grabs are used to help you hold a tight tucked position so you can keep your balance above the board and not get deflected into a strange position by the wind or your own flailing body parts. They're important for other reasons than with skateboarding.

I have skateboarding roots, and grabs are really important to me. Not so much the name, but you can't really do a nose bone without a grab. How silly would a nose grab be without a nose grab? See my point? They're used to unify your body with the board into a position that is conducive to the trick you're trying. At least in non-pkra riding...

Local Beach: st. joris bay
Favorite Beaches: klein curacao
Style: Strapless, freestyle, wakestyle
Gear: Liquid Force
Brand Affiliation: Kite repair

Postby posty » Fri Jun 08, 2007 12:41 pm

4rest wrote:Grabs in sports where you're attached to the board are more than just style or difficulty. In Snowboarding grabs are used to help you hold a tight tucked position so you can keep your balance above the board and not get deflected into a strange position by the wind or your own flailing body parts. They're important for other reasons than with skateboarding.

I have skateboarding roots, and grabs are really important to me. Not so much the name, but you can't really do a nose bone without a grab. How silly would a nose grab be without a nose grab? See my point? They're used to unify your body with the board into a position that is conducive to the trick you're trying. At least in non-pkra riding...
absolutely right! :thumb:

endorphin
Frequent Poster

Postby endorphin » Tue Jun 12, 2007 9:17 pm

I think this sport should also have its culture.
If someone only wants to cruise around with his kite and make some bigger or smaller jumps for the rest of his life - its ok for him but i wouldn't have fun.
For me, thats like being a couch potato for your whole life, not moving from in front of your TV till you die.
I love the wide variety of a freestyle sport and of a sport which you can practise in nearly all conditions.
But i have to say that i come from the freestyle bmx section.

kind regards,
Thomas

Return to “Kitesurfing”