Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Lightwind board for a light guy - what size??

Forum for kitesurfers
woosh
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Tourmaline
Silver Strand
Mission bay
Favorite Beaches: Tourmaline
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Lightwind board for a light guy - what size??

Postby woosh » Wed Jun 27, 2007 2:36 am

I'm about to buy my first lightwind board and need some advice. I know lightwind boards has been discussed a lot, but most of the discussions regarding lightwind boards has been composed by medium or heavy weight riders (who probably are pretty tall also and have large feets).

As a (short, 170cm) light rider weighing in at 135 lbs (~62 kg) and small feets (Europeean size 40-41 and US size about 7), I'm not sure that what's right for heavy and tall riders will work for me. For example in snowboarding it becomes harder to edge the board if you buy a wide board and have small feets. It should be the same thing when kiteboarding?

Another question is if I really need as big board as the medium weight riders?

First I was planning to go for the Spleene Session, but then a friend called me and said "It's not not really that great upwind in light wind. It's simply to narrow" (it's 43 cm wide and maybe the one he tried was the 1,5 cm narrower 2006 board).

Now I'm thinking of buying the Nobile 666 Ext instead, which is 46/48cm wide, and I would go for the 46cm then. But I've read some user comments about it being pretty difficult riding switchstance, and I'm guessing that's because it's wide(?) The guys saying this has been putting down as much as 180-210 lbs on the board, which is like 150% of my weight, and probably has 15-30% bigger feets.

Bottom line:
Would it be much harder (and maybe even too hard) for me to control and have fun with that width, and do I really need it? It should be an issue for girls and the younger crowd too...

And I want to point out that what I'm looking for is primarily a board for light wind. I'll use another board for stronger winds (if I have to). In the same time I don't want to have a board that won't fit the car or travel bag
(140cm+) to get 1 extra knot lowend.

My only board (and first) board is a North Dragon S (132x35) and it does not take me upwind in poor wind (9-13 knots) conditions. I'm only on a 12 m bow, but I'd rather buy a lightwind board than a bigger kite right now. I also want to be able to glide around in light wind :D For the record im planning on swapping the Dragon for a F-one Demon SE 128.

steveb
Frequent Poster

Postby steveb » Wed Jun 27, 2007 4:11 am

I'm afraid I have to disagree with your buddy, the sessions a great upwind board.
Others the Crazyfly I think they have a 137/44 and a number of other wide short choices http://www.prokitesurf.com. The nobile. Caution has a wide short board but I forget the name.
For upwind the spleene snowboard style radius boards rocket up wind, if you want more play style boards with good light wind performance I'd start to look for anything short and wide with a little less rocker.

munteruk
Frequent Poster

Postby munteruk » Wed Jun 27, 2007 4:13 am

The North board you have is pretty narrow. Even my little 122flx is 36cm wide!

I think that given your light weight you can get away with a light wind board that isn't a door-like as the heavy guys need. Perhaps mid to low 40's. As you guessed - too much width under a light rider can reduce the top end significantly.

Just make sure that the board's rocker also suits the light wind intent.

scklandl
Very Frequent Poster
Style: all

Postby scklandl » Wed Jun 27, 2007 4:52 am

im 5' 8" and 160 lbs size 9.5 feet

my big board right now is 135x44, on my 15m SLE I notice the width, in wears out my ankles after an hour.

on my 11m, I can ride for 4 hours and not think of the width once.

Id say go less <44... 42 maybe 43. If its shaped right, rocker plays a huge part in getting you up on plane and speed. outline and flex determines carvability (and fun factor) 133-140 depending on how tall you are AND HOW WIDE A STANCE THE BOARD OFFERS. WIDER IS BETTER

the nobile 666/ ext is a very fun shape
the crazyfly proline LW is better at low end but turns worse

woosh
Rare Poster
Silver Strand
Mission bay

Postby woosh » Wed Jun 27, 2007 5:12 am

scklandl wrote:im 5' 8" and 160 lbs size 9.5 feet

my big board right now is 135x44, on my 15m SLE I notice the width, in wears out my ankles after an hour.

on my 11m, I can ride for 4 hours and not think of the width once.

Id say go less <44... 42 maybe 43. If its shaped right, rocker plays a huge part in getting you up on plane and speed. outline and flex determines carvability (and fun factor) 133-140 depending on how tall you are AND HOW WIDE A STANCE THE BOARD OFFERS. WIDER IS BETTER

the nobile 666/ ext is a very fun shape
the crazyfly proline LW is better at low end but turns worse
So what you're saying is that if I use it as a lightwind board only I will probably not be equally disturbed by a board that's a little too wide?

I'm 5' 6''. Hoping to be on the water as soon as anyone else is.
Maybe the ext would be perfect if it was 2 cm narrower, or maybe it will work anyway :) Fun factor definately sounds like something I want.

WANTSOME

Postby WANTSOME » Wed Jun 27, 2007 6:03 am

Your friend must be mad..

The shape of that spleene session does mean its quite narrow in the middle of the board but its actually wider in the tips than the EXT`s..

R a i n e r
Frequent Poster

Re: Lightwind board for a light guy - what size??

Postby R a i n e r » Wed Jun 27, 2007 7:40 am

First of all: Lucky you! With 62kg light wind is your thing!
BTW: The Spleene Session will surely go upwind at least as early as the Nobile666 ... at least!

woosh
Rare Poster
Silver Strand
Mission bay

Re: Lightwind board for a light guy - what size??

Postby woosh » Wed Jun 27, 2007 6:13 pm

R a i n e r wrote:First of all: Lucky you! With 62kg light wind is your thing!
BTW: The Spleene Session will surely go upwind at least as early as the Nobile666 ... at least!
Good to know that the Session is equally good upwind. Anyone who have ridden both and have an opinion about the difference, or have another equally light wind board to compare with? How they handle in chop for example. With the EXT, does it feel like you are riding a wider board or does the smaller tips make it sink down more in the water when you're edging, or is the force you have to push back as large anyway? Sorry if I get a bit too technical here. I really wish I could try them out back to back myself instead.

Any other board suggestions?

Any light riders out there who shares my problem?

PaulMcD
Medium Poster

Postby PaulMcD » Wed Jun 27, 2007 6:37 pm

Does anyone know who stocks Spleene Session here in the US?

PaulMcD
Medium Poster

Postby PaulMcD » Wed Jun 27, 2007 6:47 pm

Does anyone know who stocks Spleene Session here in the US?

Return to “Kitesurfing”