INVERTING

Forum for kitesurfers
tautologies
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 0
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby tautologies » Thu Jul 12, 2007 10:20 pm

EricHertsens wrote:
I have spend lots time studying most SLE and Bow type kites on our Cabarete waters, my observations are.

Most of the "older" bow and SLE designs invert because of to loose rear lines or sudden depower in strong gusty wind or turbulence from other kites. This is easily avoided by keeping a slight pressure on the steering lines by either a stopper ball or by hand by being conscious about it.
This inverting was one of the reasons that I initially was against this type of kite. However several of my colleagues plus myself have solved these problems. Today modern bow designs do not invert anymore. I honestly have to say that I never seen one of our kites invert in flight when properly rigged.

EH
Exactly (and thanks for the reply). We now know how to avoid having inverted kites, because there was enough curiosity to ask the right questions... :-)
If people, and I wasn't talking about you, but the ones that seem more interested in defending their kite (which I to some extent can understand since we love out kites a lot) then getting info on how things happen. I am guessing for you designers it is also interesting to hear what (and how it) went wrong so you can improve the design.

A.

duinkiter_rod
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 0
Style: freestyle/wakestyle
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby duinkiter_rod » Thu Jul 12, 2007 10:29 pm

I have one more question for EricHertsens:

I've heard you were designing an Ultra flat kite. I think i understood that an 7.5m² would have the same low-end as an 16m² c-kite (that is what i think to have heard), is that thrue?

EricHertsens
Rare Poster

Postby EricHertsens » Fri Jul 13, 2007 5:25 pm

tautologies wrote: I am guessing for you designers it is also interesting to hear what (and how it) went wrong so you can improve the design.

A.
I'm lucky that Cabarete is such a diverse place, we get to see all the kites together and its a excellent source of feed back, from our repair shop we know what not to do. All our kites run for a year in Cabarete before they get released to the market or to out OEM customers. This was hard to do with the sudden demand for bow type kites and we relied heavy on feedback from outside of Cabarete. Now in the second season our 2008 kites have been Cabarete schools and locals for 6 months. So we can focus on taking our ultra flat to new heights.

EricHertsens
Rare Poster

Postby EricHertsens » Fri Jul 13, 2007 5:39 pm

duinkiter_rod wrote:I have one more question for EricHertsens:

I've heard you were designing an Ultra flat kite. I think i understood that an 7.5m² would have the same low-end as an 16m² c-kite (that is what i think to have heard), is that thrue?
its actually a 6.6M that gets a 70KG guy going in very light winds +- 13knts, a 11M is on the way and a 9M is on the drawing board.

It was Bruno that opened my eyes about a year ago when he was shredding it up on a 6M in no wind, after seeing that I could not sleep well anymore ;) and started to design ultra flat based on my experience I had from developing my Ripper and Beast kites.

Anyway, Ultra flat will be for the more experienced rider that can appreciate it. During the 2007 Dominican Nationals, Luis Alberto (abuelo) placed second in the open freestyle on the EZE 6.6M proto. The Ripper which is also very flat took 1-4-5 of the same event.

if you need more info, then PM me because it might be seen as pimping..

Return to “Kitesurfing”