Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Riding Directional boards

Forum for kitesurfers
Windrider
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Location: Kailua, Hawaii, currently riding EH and OR kites (2013 Razor rocks!)
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Riding Directional boards

Postby Windrider » Sun Jul 15, 2007 9:23 pm

I just got a Cabrinha 6'1" TowSurf. I've only had it out twice in fairly light wind so I haven't yet gotten the full feel of it. As far as directionals go, my previous experience is riding a 7' Naish SkyPirate. I can handle the SkyPirate pretty well, but it felt too long for the waves, so I wanted a smaller board. I also wanted a board that I could let my son use as a surfboard. The absence of the front foot pad made the Cabrinha work much better as a surfboard/kiteboard than just as a dedicated kiteboard. A little wax on the board, and foot traction is no problem... not slippery at all with wax.

Question: I noticed that when riding the TowSurf, I go upwind a whole lot better if I don't use the back footstrap. It seems that, if my foot is in the back footstrap, then angle of the edge on the water reduces the amount of edging surface I get. If I put my back foot more towards the middle of the board just behind my front foot then my upwind ability is much better. I'm guessing that this changes the angle of the board on the water, and presents more of the length of the board as an edging surface. Is this normal for this type of directionals? Is this because of the tapering shape?

I tried a Fish for a very short time in very light winds (mahalo to Tautologies for the test ride) and didn't notice that his Naish Fish had this behavior. The Fish seemed to really steer from the back of the board whereas my Cabrinha steers from more of the middle of the board. The Fish felt good, like you could pivot it around like a skateboard on its back wheels. The Cabrinha TowSurf handles more like a conventional surfboard. Just surprisingly different handling between the two shapes.

Funny thing is that I bought the Cabrinha to ride both strapless and strapped, and it seems that it might ride best strapless. Can't wait to get it in some waves with reasonable wind power.

I like the length and width of the board. I was hitting most of my gybes on the Cabrinha. I was gybing it like I gybe my SkyPirate. When I get more wind, I'll try to work on a smoother, faster gybe... I'm figuring that this should be much more do-able on the Cabrinha because of its smaller size.

Another note on the Cabrinha 6'1" TowSurf.... it's really light! I have to acclimate to that lightness especially when jumping. My other boards are the 7' SkyPirate and a LF Drop Ltd. 138. This new board is much, much lighter. It feels like it is non-existent (no weight) when you jump it. I have to get used to this feeling to learn how to land it!

tautologies
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tautologies » Sun Jul 15, 2007 10:21 pm

You're welcome :-)

Looked like a nice board...I think you have to have your back foot over the fins once you start turning hard on the waves though :-) For upwind moving a little forward is good...or so has my experience been.

A.

mv
Very Frequent Poster

Postby mv » Mon Jul 16, 2007 12:45 am

I have tried to ride my surfboard strapless and strapped. I found the same thing as you. I get better upwind tracking with my foot out of the back strap. I have since settled on a hybrid mode. I only have the front strap on the board. This helps me get up on the board and jump over waves but with no back strap I can move my foot all over the place and get the best foot position for any condition.

Windrider
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Windrider » Tue Jul 17, 2007 12:03 am

mv wrote: I have since settled on a hybrid mode. I only have the front strap on the board. This helps me get up on the board and jump over waves but with no back strap I can move my foot all over the place and get the best foot position for any condition.
The front strap alone is adequate to keep the board with you in a jump? I was very tempted to try that same approach.

simonm
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sahara
Favorite Beaches: Invercargill
Style: Mod
Gear: I always wanted a pony

Postby simonm » Tue Jul 17, 2007 12:41 am

If you spill it with only one foot strapped in, then you will very much increase your chances of leg injuries.

joeag
Medium Poster

Postby joeag » Tue Jul 17, 2007 4:12 am

One foot in the strap (front) and one foot off the board (back) landing a jump on my surfboard is how I tore my medial collateral ligament. Not good. I'm going to try strapless now!

Windrider
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Windrider » Tue Jul 17, 2007 4:19 am

So, for jumping, sounds like either both feet in straps or out, not half-half. But, for simply going upwind, then one-in-one-out is fine? For riding waves, then either way will work as long as you have power?

mv
Very Frequent Poster

Postby mv » Tue Jul 17, 2007 5:28 am

Windrider wrote:
mv wrote: I have since settled on a hybrid mode. I only have the front strap on the board. This helps me get up on the board and jump over waves but with no back strap I can move my foot all over the place and get the best foot position for any condition.
The front strap alone is adequate to keep the board with you in a jump? I was very tempted to try that same approach.
It takes practice but it can be done.

mv
Very Frequent Poster

Postby mv » Tue Jul 17, 2007 5:30 am

simonm wrote:If you spill it with only one foot strapped in, then you will very much increase your chances of leg injuries.
I keep the front foot strap very loose so it is easy to kick the board away and pull out my foot.

liv2surf
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Waddell Creek, Scott Creek, Miramar-Half Moon Bay, Coyote Point, Pillar Point Harbor-HMB
Style: waves & foil
Gear: Cabrinha Drifters 7, 9, 11. Firewire Dominator surfboard (quad), no straps. SS SpacePickle adapted to foil (LF Foilfish foil), two foot hooks, front and back.

Postby liv2surf » Tue Jul 17, 2007 6:31 am

joeag wrote:One foot in the strap (front) and one foot off the board (back) landing a jump on my surfboard is how I tore my medial collateral ligament. Not good. I'm going to try strapless now!
That is how I tore my MCL, also. Back foot slipped off tail of my surfboard when paddle surfing.

Return to “Kitesurfing”