North Interested in Naish's GEOTECH?

Forum for kitesurfers
Cucho
Medium Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby Cucho » Fri Jul 20, 2007 8:16 am

And can any of you explain what would be the advantages of Geotech...?

It looks awful anyway...

Windrider
Very Frequent Poster
Location: Kailua, Hawaii, currently riding EH and OR kites (2013 Razor rocks!)

Postby Windrider » Fri Jul 20, 2007 8:26 am

It sounds like it makes the canopy of the kite more self supporting so that it doesn't rely on the wind to give it optimum shape. The claim is that this will make the kite more efficient at all wind ranges because the kite is always optimally shaped.

That's from their Helix mini-website. You should read it. Sounds like an interesting idea that might make a big difference. Like the Batwing kite, and the F-one Delta.

Kind of cool because we have three divergent innovations all coming out this year. Each may be better than existing. Which will be better than the others? Got to have to comparisons by the same rider riding all three to present opinions. I would vote for some good "regular" rider, not a pro, to do the comparison. Pros have too particular of an expectation in what they want from a kite. Some would want a surf kite. Others may want a FreeStyle kite. I would want to see a comparison from a better than average FreeRide (wave, jump, cruise) rider.

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Fri Jul 20, 2007 8:28 am

I remember also kites with straight segments in the front tube. Not sure if the R1 had it. But it is not new as sq said. But this and the Naish looks more like straight segments than the kites before.
I don't think this is within the patent from Naish, since it does not have any sigma shape, as far as I can see.

But be sure, all companies will test a sigma shape to see what can be done with it...it is all prototypes and might never get on the market.

storm
Rare Poster

Postby storm » Fri Jul 20, 2007 8:34 am

Isn't Geotech just the same as 3d segmented strut technology of 2002 and call it something different in 2007?

http://www.kite-surf.com/news/images/bi ... sheet2.gif

Call it what you want. I call it marketing gibberish...

Your call.

tautologies
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tautologies » Fri Jul 20, 2007 8:35 am

xray wrote:And IMO you're making a mistake on what geotech is...
It's not so much the straight lines of the LE but much more the complete straight lines of the canopy between the struts....
Correct me if I'm wrong...
thats my impression too...that the canopy keeps being straight even when depowering, which minimizes the flapping and negates the need for battens...

I think most leadingedges are made up from smaller straight lines..that makes the c shape..otherwise the leading edge would be wrinkly no? But the geo tech makes this extreme, so the it also keeps the canopy very straight and doesn't get wrinkles....somebody with more knowlede on this please correct me..mine are conjectures form what I have heard here and on the beach and read here..

a.

JulienSey
Rare Poster

Postby JulienSey » Fri Jul 20, 2007 8:35 am

In any case, this doens't look like a sigma shape...

j1finnn1
Frequent Poster

Postby j1finnn1 » Fri Jul 20, 2007 8:38 am

What the hell is that thing?

dennisk
Medium Poster

Postby dennisk » Fri Jul 20, 2007 9:24 am

Hmmm I have good hopes for this Geotech idea.

From my sailing days I know that you should always try to keep air flowing cleanly over the sail. In sailing you have small strings on your sail indicating if airflow is clean or turbulant. By changing the tension on the sail you can change the curve of the sail an keep airflow optimal (non-turbulant). With more tension on the sail it's possible to get greater angles when going upwind and more speed.

So translated to kiting, this could mean that these kites wil have smaller profiles and fly closer to the edge of your wind-window. Also better upwind capability and more speed.

Downside could be that when turbulant air does develop the kite will stall instantly and completely (Hindenburg). So I am not fully convinced about that geotech is better when you fully depower your kite. In low power conditions a very curved sail should have better flying properties....

james
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: My own
Brand Affiliation: My own

Postby james » Fri Jul 20, 2007 9:43 am

geo tech refers to the canopy NOT the LE.

the principle is to have the canopy following straight lines between each strut. giving a cleaner air flow as there is no lose material that is unsuported to flap when changing the sheeting angle

The pic of the north looks like it has a conventional canopy, and just a straight section between each strut, and that isnt anything like the Sigma shape of the Naish.

its funny, and i am no photoshop expert but the kite just looks very clear on that background, is it even genuine? and if it is how regular posters just happen to be in the right place at the right time to to take a perfectly lit focused shot of kites that are in development amazes me, nothing to do with North trying to divert a bit of attention.

James

Naish UK

tautologies
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tautologies » Fri Jul 20, 2007 10:05 am

james wrote:geo tech refers to the canopy NOT the LE.

the principle is to have the canopy following straight lines between each strut. giving a cleaner air flow as there is no lose material that is unsuported to flap when changing the sheeting angle

The pic of the north looks like it has a conventional canopy, and just a straight section between each strut, and that isnt anything like the Sigma shape of the Naish.

its funny, and i am no photoshop expert but the kite just looks very clear on that background, is it even genuine? and if it is how regular posters just happen to be in the right place at the right time to to take a perfectly lit focused shot of kites that are in development amazes me, nothing to do with North trying to divert a bit of attention.

James

Naish UK
ok thanks for the clarification.

I don't think that is a photoshopped image..I think the image is from the gorge, and the mountain in the back is just far away...thus giving it a grey look..

A.

Return to “Kitesurfing”