Likely spot for my LE to be leaking???

Forum for kitesurfers
dt
Very Frequent Poster
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Likely spot for my LE to be leaking???

Postby dt » Mon Jul 23, 2007 7:12 pm

The leading edge of one of my three year old kites has a slow leak. Is there a likely culprit like the valve? The kite looks great and has always been rigged on sand. Can sand find a way inside and wear a small hole? Is there a place where this is more likely to occur? I think the hole is going to be hard to find because it is probably small. After two hours of kiting the LE pressure drops from 7 lbs to about 5lbs.

Any advice would be appreciated.

dt

Mulholland
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Mulholland » Mon Jul 23, 2007 7:40 pm

I don't think this is an easily answered question. At three years it could be anywhere, from valves, to seams (which I would suspect) to a pin-hole in the bladder...Why don't you just pull it out and see? You can do it!

experienced1
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Cabrinha
Brand Affiliation: Cabrinha

Postby experienced1 » Mon Jul 23, 2007 7:47 pm

I have found that the best way to find a slow leak is to leave the bladder installed in the LE casing and pump it up very hard. Then start in the middle and spray with soapy water. the air will come thru the casing causing the soapy water to bubble, about where the leak is.
steve

Coloradokiter
Medium Poster

Postby Coloradokiter » Mon Jul 23, 2007 8:50 pm

The soapy water sprayed on works good and be sure to try the valves first. that's where I found mine to leak and it did the same thing as yours leaked slowly over time.

dt
Very Frequent Poster

Postby dt » Mon Jul 23, 2007 8:52 pm

Steve,

Thanks for the method. I really like that idea because the bladder can take so much more air pressure when it is still in the kite. Also, this way I can probably leave a lot of the bladder in the kite while patching the hole.

Your Best friend, Doug

dt
Very Frequent Poster

Postby dt » Tue Jul 24, 2007 4:19 pm

It was the valve. I increased the valves plug diameter by heating it with hot water and then pushing the pump nozzle into it. Then I put it in cold water to lock in the new shape. After putting it back together I pumped it up and left it over night. This morning it feels as hard as it was last night. Mission accomplished.

Thanks again for the help.

dt

kitegrommet
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby kitegrommet » Wed Jul 25, 2007 7:36 pm

I snuck into the hotel pool with my leaking bladder, I'll try the soapy water next time :)

Return to “Kitesurfing”