Tom183
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby Tom183 » Mon Aug 06, 2007 3:35 am

Rockstar wrote:Why so abusive??

Why so defensive??

Chip on your shoulder! Classic case of Foil user syndrome !
Wow, what a compelling argument! I'm convinced now - all foil users are paranoid...
Tom183 wrote:The test was nothing more than they said in the article - amount of force on the CL with the bar all the way in vs all the way out (on just 4 kites). Funny how certain LEI advocates got their panties in a bunch when a foil came out ahead even in such a narrow test...

kitester
Very Frequent Poster

Postby kitester » Mon Aug 06, 2007 8:21 am

This is the same old story and all it does is confuse people or make them mad. I have flown twin-skined, brideled ram air kite many times. I used to have a 15.5 PI and loved that kite. Flying a ram air kite needes a similar but different technique. But you also need the right tool for the job. Conditions, skill level and area play a big part in your choice of gear (or it should). Brideled ram air kites are infact better wings. They have a cleaner shape and a flater crosssection than inflatabels. But all that does not matter. Because they tend to fly closer to the wind they can often overfly it. When c-shape do this they "Hindenburg" and we end up relaunching. Bow kites too. At least they are less likley to fall and most often just drift back untill there is enough pressure under the kite to lift it agian. But when ram air kites are caught upwind of the window (because of wind shifts or gusts) they can lose pressure inside the kite and deflate. As they fall tension on the lines is lost and the and the deflated "bag" drifts down wind into the power zone. when the lines tension agian the kite starts to regain its shape and fly. Since it is right in the power zone and since the whole wing is flying it can quickly develop a lot of force and drag a kiter hard. Any kite that launches from a downwind position will pull hard untill it reaches a point where the angle of attack is small enough to let the wind escape past the trailing edge. So what does it all mean in terms of real world kiting. If you fly in a place where the wind is very steady and does not change direction a ram air kite might be a good choice. But wind is a very unstable thing most of the time. On the water especially in surf ram air kites might not be the best choice for most riders. Even the best relaunching kites have problems in the surf. A few quarts of water inside a ram air kite will keep it from relaunching. Most kiters will find inflatabels (especially bows) more user friendly and safer. Having said that, I sure would like to try out one of those FS Speeds. Any demos headed North Florida?

Carlos_C
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Southend, Lancing, Hunstanton, sea Palling
Gear: Fuels, Speed 4, Sonic 2

Postby Carlos_C » Mon Aug 06, 2007 10:19 am

Kitester - the difference between the psycho 1's and the new psycho 3 and speed II's is unreal, you really rarely get collapses - if ever...stability on a corretly trimmed kite is rock solid

The kites still don't turn as fast as the ridgid inflatos - but are getting very close

RC-Kiter
Frequent Poster

Postby RC-Kiter » Fri Aug 24, 2007 8:13 pm

From flysurfer.com:
Good winds arrived at the 4th day of the PKRA Event in St. Peter Ording, therefore the Freestyle event took place, where Flysurfer teamrider Sebastian Bubmann came into action. In the 1st round Sebastian was up against Mallory de la Villemarque (ranked #4 in the world), Sebastian threw down some big kiteloops, a slim, blind judge and a 313, sealing the win and advancing through to the next round where he was up against Randy Hereman, after a close heat he lost and can take revanche in the doubles.

We made a very small video from 1 of the heats, Sebastian is using a PSYCHO3 6m and a Flyboards by Spleene Rip 128, wind conditions picked up speed throughout the day maxing out at 21 knots. Click here to see the competition video.
Video: http://www.flysurfer.com/gallery2_code/ ... r_0001.wmv

Well pump me up, please tell me exactly where the kite is holding the rider back and where is it aerodyamic inferior :bye:

Pump me up
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Gear: Inflatables

Postby Pump me up » Fri Aug 24, 2007 11:50 pm

You call that a good result???

Start posting your triumphal propaganda when one of your riders cracks the top 20 in a PKRA year (it's not going to happen).

The tragedy with Bubman is that, maybe, if he had been using an inflatable, he may have made it through to the next round. So, think about it Seb, if you are reading this thread... Is it REALLY worth taking Flysurfer $ if it is holding-back your career?

kiterfighter
Very Frequent Poster

Postby kiterfighter » Fri Aug 24, 2007 11:52 pm

MV who the hell cares if a speed 17 does better in 9 knots? How fucking lame is that to ride at the speed of a good lawnmower? All the foil guys I know who switched to LEI say they will never go back. The arguments are just ignorance on your part.

Also why donn't folis take over the market? Because they suck compared to LEI even though they last longer!

chemosavi
Very Frequent Poster
Style: If Ghengis Kan, I kan too!
Gear: Grass fed Carbon Fiber
Brand Affiliation: Peace in the Middle East

Postby chemosavi » Sat Aug 25, 2007 2:17 am

kiterfighter wrote:MV who the hell cares if a speed 17 does better in 9 knots? How fucking lame is that to ride at the speed of a good lawnmower? All the foil guys I know who switched to LEI say they will never go back. The arguments are just ignorance on your part.

Also why donn't folis take over the market? Because they suck compared to LEI even though they last longer!
kiterfighter, it's a real pisser those damn jerks out there on their foils in 9 knots scoo-tin around, doin jumps and acting like theyz having fun.

Kinda makes a true lei man feel like doing something rotten to make up fer it.

Like you's really the hot potato and theyz jess jerks engagin in a different sport but not true kitesurfing as you see it.

Feel your pain, man. Feel your pain. Pain is good. Make a man out-a-you even if theyz all havin the fun, you'll be a man and they be havin the fun. It really is the shits. Jess the shits

DrLightWind
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Matheson Hammock Park Miami
Favorite Beaches: Crandon Beach, Hobbie Beach, Keys, St. Lucia, St. Marteen,
Style: Old School
Gear: Flysurfer15m and 21m Speed3 DLX
RealWind Mutant 148 X 40 and Directional 190 X 48, F-One TT 128 X35, Dereck Semi Directional 143 X 38 and 177 X 46.

Postby DrLightWind » Sat Aug 25, 2007 2:29 pm

Toby wrote:Day 7 - PKRA - Gard Kitesurf World Cup 2007

In summary, it was a day for the foil kites as Armin Harich (Flysurfer, Germany) finished in 1st place with Sean Farley (North, Mexico) and Sami Gali (Best, Spain) finishing in 2nd and 3rd places respectively.
I believe everybody has their right to define where is their light wind border line even PMU.

Appears to be Speed2 Foils are light wind busters (NOT THE SPEED 17) when people are windsuffering.
I fly both Inflatable & Foil Type for the condition or depends what I want to do.
If the wind is light or I'm looking for big boost 25 feet in 14 knots
and unbelievable hangtime I use my 15m Speed2, (myth will be busted with proof)
but if I'm looking for a multiple loop session and powered up I'm using my 10m Switchblade.

So to crack the "mystery" go beyond FOILS & INFLATOS of endless PEE-LOSOPHY to control your anger,
be real with yourself IF YOU'RE WINDSUFFERING GO KITE IN LIGHT WIND & be with nature (enlightening),
the hidden :door: :door: :door: :door: :door: :door: :door:
just like the morning breeze has secret to tell you (the "mystery"), don't go back to sleep :!:
In stead of arguing and farting your gasous shadow anger in front of your PC :bye:

mv
Very Frequent Poster

Postby mv » Sat Aug 25, 2007 4:10 pm

kiterfighter wrote:MV who the hell cares if a speed 17 does better in 9 knots? How fucking lame is that to ride at the speed of a good lawnmower? All the foil guys I know who switched to LEI say they will never go back. The arguments are just ignorance on your part.

People that have to ride in 9 knots care for one. At 9 knots the Speed2 19m goes a lot faster than a lawnmower. If foil riders switched to LEI because foils were not their thing then more power to them. Unlike some people in this forum I do not care what kind of kite people use.

Foils will not take over the market because there is no reason to. LEI kites are great and many people like them. I prefer foils so I buy them. I really hate pumping up kites.

I do not feel that foil kites suck. That is my opinion of course. However, take today for example. The wind was 20 knots so I went down to the local spot. There were an assortment of kites already on the water when I arrived. Most were 12m C's and SLE kites with a bow thrown in for good measure. I was the heaviest kiter on the beach and put up my FS P3 10m with my FS Session 141, In one tack I was futhur upwind that all other kiters who were already on the water. I suprised myself with that one.

Another example. Local spot, 2 heaviest riders, myslef and my friend, both of us on Speed2 19m kites. We are crusing way upwind, jumping, and having a great time. Others riders show up and not a single one can get off of the beach.

Another example, no one shows up to the beach in winds that I can ride in.

Does that mean that my kites are better than anyone elses? No, it just means that I like my kites and they work for me.

kiterfighter
Very Frequent Poster

Postby kiterfighter » Sat Aug 25, 2007 4:45 pm

Hey if your havin fun in 9 knots go for it. For me I'd rather do something else. If I have to rig a 19m kite, then I go home. It's not windy fellas.

However,

Your not jumpin for shit in 9 knots that just total BS. If those tiny jumps rock your boat than again, you probably really enjoy shuffle board too.

I have a life so I won't be joining you. :lol:
Last edited by kiterfighter on Sat Aug 25, 2007 4:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Kitesurfing”