Does an old "putter" in your GOLF bag really help

Forum for kitesurfers
piratedan
Rare Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby piratedan » Thu Oct 11, 2007 11:57 pm

joeag wrote:If you are lucky enough to be moving from Houston to Maui, you should just shut up and happily pay the $85 board bag fee!

I know that you muppet. that's why i said "Suppose that even if I do have to pay it'll be fair trade for a new life kiting and sailing on North Maui right?" I'm not bitching about that... I'm just agreeing with what everyone else is saying in that Airlines need to sort their policies out. It's ridiculous that we get charged and other sports get a free ride. Thanks for the advice though mate. See you in Maui

joeag
Medium Poster

Postby joeag » Fri Oct 12, 2007 6:06 pm

Cool on you piratedan - keep an eye out for me I will have the "elmo" shirt on. :)

PS - get some aloha spirit (and learn to take a joke) while you are there, you will need it since you will be a "haole" and will need to have a sense of humor to live in the islands.

Peace.

piratedan
Rare Poster

Postby piratedan » Fri Oct 19, 2007 10:21 am

Made it out to maui with no problem at the airport. Checked in at the continental desk and just asked if i could check in my "golf bag" there or if I had to take it somewhere else like an oversized baggage check or something. They said no and checked me right through. I got the new mystic golf bag and fit two kites, two boards, harnesses and all my kit. This bag's sweet. Doesn't have any separate board bit, but I simply kept my boards in their own bag in the golf bag. It worked Great!

nab1000
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: 757, 252
Style: Wake
Gear: LF HiFi's, Influence 138, LF Cabs
Brand Affiliation: Wave Riding Vehicle Surfboards

Postby nab1000 » Wed Dec 26, 2007 8:34 pm

anyone ever have any problems traveling with delta?

scklandl
Very Frequent Poster
Style: all

Postby scklandl » Thu Dec 27, 2007 4:32 am

just flew jet blue with a "dakine" bag that doesnt say golf anywhere. They never asked what was in it and never checked measurements.

all they cared about was weight. check with your airline but this "golf" thing is pretty haokey and a halfbaked idea. leave out the golf club and save yourselves some weight.

nab1000
Very Frequent Poster

Postby nab1000 » Thu Dec 27, 2007 5:33 pm

yah i think i'm going to go with it is kites and a snowboard......

np131
Rare Poster

Postby np131 » Thu Dec 27, 2007 7:28 pm

Sent 4 different requests (using different ID's) to the airline trying to get somebody to slip up and say yes you take the kite equipment. I could print if off and give to the check in area to avoid any hassles. Asked if I can pad my golf bag with material like foam life jacket and boogie board to protect my 'expensive clubs' and they all replied the same. If anything outside the clubs and balls are in the bad they will charge 10 bucks per kg for the entire bag . One replied if they find a hat or shoes in the bag I would get penalized for the entire weight of the bag..Nice..

So I tried to explain the kiteboard is smaller and ligther then the allowable snowboard.. this is the response I received an hour ago ..

"
Thank you for taking the time to e-mail Skyservice Airlines Customer Relations. Please be advised that although kiteboards may be lighter and smaller than snowboards, they are not included among those pieces of sporting equipment which we accept as a courtesy. If it is possible for you to pack your board in your checked baggage that is preferable, if not, please be advised that your kiteboard will be accepted on a standby basis and at a charge of CAD $10/kg for anything over your allowed 20 kilograms.

On behalf of Skyservice Airlines, we wish you a Happy Holidays and thank you for choosing Skyservice. "

So now there is a possibility they wont even take my board next week. Nice ,,what part of happy holidays dont they understand. This is a remote area with no rentals of any sort ,,, could be a long week of body dragging (it they dont loose my kites :(

Eduardo
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2003
Favorite Beaches: Anywhere with a left break
Style: waves and foiling (X big-air junkie)
Gear: Ocean Rodeo and Cabrinha kites. North and Slingshot boards. Lift foils.

Postby Eduardo » Thu Dec 27, 2007 8:37 pm

whatever the official rules, it's mostly about the 50 lbs limit.

But if you're still worried...

At big airports, you get a lot of chances. Skycaps at curbside will always get your back through for a small tip. If you go inside and get hassled, you can always say "I'm going to my car to repack". Then you come back and likely get a less grumpy person. Repeat until successful or your flight leaves.

Otherwise, to be on the safe side, sweet talk and distract. Don't focus on the bag. Talk about how you're so tired but you can't even imagine how rough and long their day has been, etc. etc.

Dre
Rare Poster

Other Option

Postby Dre » Thu Dec 27, 2007 9:34 pm

Instead of carrying a putter, you could put like 15 golf balls at the zipper end of your bag, then if you have to open it, make them go flying everywhere and take 10 minutes to get them back in. Then act pissed!

Just a thought.

DRE

nab1000
Very Frequent Poster

Postby nab1000 » Fri Dec 28, 2007 3:38 am

i took the boots off my board to use as a carry on and fit a 134x41cm board in a tinny snowboard bag, and got my dakine bag (that i wrote golf team on) :thumb: packed with 2 kites and 2 bars and its now under demensions.
:lol:

I meen how can they tell me its not a snowboard...... Its a new experimantal liquid force snowbaord that i'm taking to puerto!

the only problem now is that i have to be at the airport at 4:30 :(

Return to “Kitesurfing”