Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Big waves & bad wipeouts

Forum for kitesurfers
surfingwithkites
Very Frequent Poster
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby surfingwithkites » Sat Aug 25, 2007 9:14 pm

big is relative and yet somewhat irrelevent. Even a head high wave could do serious damage if you got lines around you and a wave hit the kite. Of course in small stuff it is easy to keep the kite in the sky, things happen slowly, etc. but in any case, when things really go wrong, the real safety is in

1. being able to get rid of the kite

2. being able to then take care of yourself and get back to shore

The reality of the sport is that people hang on way too long either hoping they will get in control or hoping their safety systems will work and save them (ie knives, quick releases, depower, boats, another kiter, jetskis etc) part of it is no one wants to endanger others with a loose kite, part of it is no one wants to let their kite get damaged, and part of it is many kiters get in over their heads, don't have much experience in big surf, and cling to the kite because they wouldn't have a clue what to do without it.

Fortunately bigger days are rare and most people just sort of run along in front of the wave anyway and don't really engage and so there are few injuries so far. Should be an interesting topic as the sport moves forward/sideways/backwards.

As for me, I prefer to ride unhooked. It's just safer.

Wawando
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Location: Portugal - Guincho; Rebel2012 5m, 9m & 2011 7m; Amundson 5'9&6'

Postby Wawando » Sun Aug 26, 2007 12:58 am

Hi,

The floating conclusion came when one of us had a wipeout due to excess of speed in 4m swell in th outside.
He is THE big ball man himself.
He really almost died drawned.
Since that episode we cooled down. I and most others refreigned from getting out in really big sea because when it hits it is really strong.

fyi, Guincho is the westmost point in europe, so we get some powerfull and fast swell here added to the fact that the beach is fairly small and inbetween rocks, for the huge currents that big sea brings.
So when thing goes wrong our focus is stay alive & getting back to sand as soon as possible.

Do we really need to be out when the swell is too big? I have 3 kids, a lovely wife and a bunch of marvelous friends :thumb:

See you.

blowhard
Very Frequent Poster

Postby blowhard » Mon Aug 27, 2007 4:01 pm

Wawando,
I'm in your camp
Live for the living
can't beat it
be safe
keep pushing the line back a little further
each time
tiny amounts.

I'm thinking the more I hear of Portugal the
more I like it ,My pal said it's just like Oregon fish in the streams and wildlife everywhere
most everybody is in the cities and the countryside is wide open

from the west most point in in America (lower 48)
:bye:

kiterron66
Rare Poster

Postby kiterron66 » Wed Aug 29, 2007 1:37 am

I don't think people can get a knife from behind them if they are really being dragged. ( A DaKine seat harness with the knife over your butt)
I use a DaKine knife (parachute knife) and change them every now and then. I have opened the web strap on the holster, put it around one of the straps in front and then resewed it with a curved needle, heavy thread and cement.
I have it on both waist and seat harnesses. As part of getting ready I make sure that the knife is in the holster and it is not twisted and can be touched in front with both hands
A few days ago I finally used the knife to get free of another kite which had come loose from it's kiter. It worked. The rider caught up and self rescued in, his kite intact.
You probably can find better parachute knifes on the internet skydiving supply stores, but I haven't done this.
You won't need a knife hardly ever but when you do you really do

Dionisis
Medium Poster

Postby Dionisis » Wed Aug 29, 2007 3:31 am

sflinux wrote:This product has always been on my wishlist of things to buy:
http://www.spareair.com/product/models.htm#model170

It's an air canister that will give you 30 breathes to get back to the surface. Would be priceless if you found yourself in the impact zone, getting hammered by Monster swell.
And would give you the extra minutes you'd need to cut yourself free if you are ever trapped by your lines, etc under water.
Does this thing work? Have anyone tried it?
Well i have seen this before but i really doubt that you can find time to use it. I have tried only once to surf at 7-8ft waves (not even comparing with the monsters that you are rinding) and as the wave crashed on me, i haven't feel so much pain again in my life and shock. I remember the only thing i could do underwater is praying to be in the surface. By the way that f#cken wave broke the board in two pieces.

surfingwithkites
Very Frequent Poster

Postby surfingwithkites » Wed Aug 29, 2007 6:38 am

Portugal is the best wave kiting on the planet. Perfect conditions, perfect waves, perfect women. My friend is there right now and says he may marry a local girl and stay forever. So windy that the fur grows thick they say.

Wavemaniak
Frequent Poster

Postby Wavemaniak » Wed Aug 29, 2007 9:29 am

I think I know who your friend is...Great rider I must say.

The first days he got good conditions, but by now the wind and waves are not cooperating that much...
As for girls, Guincho is pretty much a Meca... You have to be there to bellive... 8)

chirojoseph
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: All of Quintana Roo Mexico
Style: wave kite, wave FOIL kite
Gear: zeeko, Shinn, Fone, SShot, Naish, AXIS surfboards

florin..

Postby chirojoseph » Wed Aug 29, 2007 6:46 pm

they say Florinapolis in the south of brazil has great wave kiting and FEERRRking incredible girls, clubs, and wind. Maybe we could get a little contest going on between the locals of Portugal and southern Brazil..you know, pictures of great kiting in great waves and great clubs FILLED with sexy women...that would surely rocket this thread into all-time history!!

hehe
kyro

blowhard
Very Frequent Poster

Postby blowhard » Thu Aug 30, 2007 5:04 pm

somehow I detect some sarcasim in the tone of which is better!?

Does either Portugal or Brazil have some rights?
I fucked up my miniscus last year going backside and want only rights until it blows out :girl:

whitecap
Medium Poster

Postby whitecap » Thu Aug 30, 2007 5:33 pm

just a couple pics of the waves that Zeev and Gideon are talking about...pretty fun...
Attachments
big scotts.JPG
big scotts.JPG (99.8 KiB) Viewed 926 times
duo.JPG
duo.JPG (87.83 KiB) Viewed 926 times
trio.JPG
trio.JPG (64.44 KiB) Viewed 926 times

Return to “Kitesurfing”