Forum for kitesurfers
chasinthewind
Medium Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Leading Edge perforated - Patch or Sew?

Postby chasinthewind » Thu Sep 20, 2007 8:19 am

I bought an Ozone Instinct Light 12 around 4 weeks ago, yesterday whilst on a session my kite crashed and landed on a small sand bar portruding from the water, whilst re-launching i must have caught a sharp shell or coral and it has made a lovely little slice on the center of the leading edge.

The bladder is untouched as the kite stayed inflated, i just noticed the laceration as i was packing it up.

Ozone supplied me with a patching kit, I used the sticky dacron spare they gave me and patched it up.

Just wondering is this meant as a temporary fix until you get the leading edge sewn or would i be fine riding with the dacron patch?

Gutted only 4 weeks old and sliced already! :( (great kite though)

ethanknight
Medium Poster

Postby ethanknight » Sat Sep 22, 2007 4:25 am

Canopies you can usually get by with some sail tape but not the leading edge or struts. The leading edge takes some of the most force when you crash a kite. It would be a VERY good idea to have it stitched up by a pro. If not you may rip it open even more. Check out Grandpa Don in Jacksonville. I think he has a link through like Extreme Kites website(maybe another one not sure). He does very good work for a good price. hahah Trust me I've had my share of repairs to send him and they've all held up perfect.

surf-turkey

Postby surf-turkey » Sat Sep 22, 2007 6:57 am

had a kite that got about a 2 inch tear on the leading edge, could see the bladder. Used sail tape, 2 pieces, one inside the tube and one on the outside of the tube. Flew it for the next 6 months. I crashed that kite hard alot and never had any problems with the tear or the repair job. Guess it just comes down to whatever you will be comfortable with in your mind when flying it.

wakeboy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby wakeboy » Sat Sep 22, 2007 9:32 am

sew it, otherwise if the kite bend s in a relaunch the tear could run and pop!! thats fine also though as more work for me... :lol: fix it!

BullsShit.com
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Moks', Kailua, Town
Favorite Beaches: Town
Style: old school
Gear: Eclipse Thruster 8, 12. Nano 6
Underground 128 /39 (custom) 07(08)
Mystic harness, Blue Planet shorts, Off Da Lip rash guard
Victoria Secret under wear
Brand Affiliation: being a good friend

Postby BullsShit.com » Sat Sep 22, 2007 9:48 am

take a picture of it so we understand better.
but: as soon as you take it to get stitched, they will have to open the LE, meaning un-stitching and patching and so on.
If you can reach the damaged area by hand through the zipper, take the patch and apply from the inside, and another from the outside.

As long the cut is not all the way through, you will be fine.

Take a picture of it and show us.

Also, take a look at kitefix.com

thebroz
Medium Poster

for professional repair

Postby thebroz » Sat Sep 22, 2007 12:27 pm

If you want it done right Tim Elvertson does great work check out his web site http://www.windfiredesigns.com/repairs.html
Unfortunately I have had to use his services twice, very pleased.

Broz

surf-turkey

Postby surf-turkey » Sat Sep 22, 2007 4:35 pm

If you can reach the damaged area by hand through the zipper, take the patch and apply from the inside, and another from the outside.

As long the cut is not all the way through, you will be fine.
Yep, as I said above. Also, my cut was all the way through and I still never had problems. Again, lots of really hard kite drops and never a problem. Unless you can't reach it through the zipper, don't give into the fear....

Return to “Kitesurfing”