Naish Helix and Slingshoot Rev 2008

Forum for kitesurfers
xstar
Medium Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby xstar » Mon Sep 24, 2007 3:07 pm

Funny stuff elainepeel shame Fran dash your 11m on the rocks today!!
Having tested the helix 12M and revs it depends on what you want from a kite?
Both kites perform amazingly I was blown away by both. I would say the rev is slightly more hardcore than the helix.
The low end is better on the Rev 11 I found.
I have tested the rev in 12-15knots and also fully lit today at 24knots the airs were sick and unhooking is spot on the re-launch is a joke you could do it blindfolded. All the reviews I had read were not hyping the kite at all its reality.
Today in 19-24knots similar weight riders were out on the 11,9 & 7m revs and all able to have fun riding.
Riding a Naish thorn 131 and weigh 80kg
I brought a quiver of revs
The Helix would be a great kite for people that are looking for a nice relaxing time and some smooth riding.
When riding the helix I could land all my tricks with ease and found the kite very smooth and stable.
I think you need to test them both, I went for the revs as I like to unhook and was looking for a kite that is supersafe and unhooks well with a large windrange so i can have a 2 kite quiver.

chicagokitesurfer
Very Frequent Poster

Postby chicagokitesurfer » Mon Sep 24, 2007 7:42 pm

I rode both in the last weeks, and more than once each. I have a couple REVs now, but rode the Helix 12m and a smaller size in the gorge a month ago, not sure what the size was anymore, maybe an 8m? Can't remember. Anyway,

-The stability of both kites is good.
-The Naish kite low end seems light. It wants a lot of wind. The REVs have better low end for sure.
-Both kites turn fast. REally fast, both almost turn too fast for me. I still prefer to ride my Fuel if I want to handle pass because I don't want to get worked while in inverted and accidentally turn the kite too fast. My shoulder is still sore from a few that seemed to want to rip my arm off. Still getting used to it.
-construction SS REV wins hands down. I don't think anyone can argue this effectively. SS has badass kites built to take some shiz.
-REV is less expensive than the Helix
-I always liked the SS bar, so the REV wins on what you hold in your hand, imo.
-REV more input required, more juiced feel under the kite
-Unhooking both turn too fast for me in the small sizes, so still getting used to it, no opinion yet.
-rode the 9m REV underpowered and still getting upwind no problem. Low drag, fast kite. Good upwind ability. Others on naish helix 12m that day. I'm 195lbs on a 137cm board that day. Not many riders heavier than me on the beach. Some people on 16m Ckites holding em down, including one friend, who is 165lbs. I didn't think the 9m would get upwind. Jumps were great - 20ft - and had plenty of time to execute. Trick on the REV is to crank the kite just before landing to get hott. Both kites have good hangtime in their respective windranges. helix very stable and smooth and tricks are no problem either.
-REV kite I have now (9m) needs to be pumped pretty good, so does the Helix though I never pumped one, just borrowed it. But I think both require good pressure.
-bar pressure is very light on both kites. Good for the elbows!!!

Fatfish98
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Fatfish98 » Mon Sep 24, 2007 8:10 pm

Looks like REV all the way then :thumb:

xstar
Medium Poster

Postby xstar » Tue Sep 25, 2007 11:47 am

I got out on the rev 9m last night it was 25knots gusting to over 30.
I had used a Cabrinha Xbow 2 9m in similar winds about a month before and the air and hangtime I thought could not be beaten?
The rev pi$$ed on them and the jumps felt less blue oyster bar.
All I can say is I wanted to make love to the rev once I came in, chuck out the girlfriend and get close to those wet crispy sheets and just get wrapped up in her canopy.
The airs were obsene and the kite was so easy to keep under control in these conditions, I dropped it once with the danger of some rather large waves and it popped back up instantly!
I'm fully stoked over these kites.

shymac
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Stevenson Point break; Sandbar HR; 3-mile; Hatch; Mosier; S.beach Newport. Timberline, Mount Hood Meadows, Whistler, Baker, Steamboat.
Favorite Beaches: SOCAL/PNW/HI/BCS/????
Style: Depends on the condition.
Gear: 2012 RPM 4.5/6/7/8/9/10/12/14

Boots/Strapless/Skim/Wakestake/Snowboard
Brand Affiliation: Free Agent

Postby shymac » Tue Sep 25, 2007 8:26 pm

:thumb:
Attachments
9.jpg
9.jpg (79.28 KiB) Viewed 1736 times
4.jpg
4.jpg (78.6 KiB) Viewed 1736 times
2.jpg
2.jpg (66.54 KiB) Viewed 1736 times

Gary
Medium Poster

Postby Gary » Thu Sep 27, 2007 7:48 pm

Hi,

An australian guy was at the beach the other day, he had just bought a new Rev 9m, he was super stoked on it, explaining how it was so much better than the link and how it somehow had some of the fuel fell in it.
He then get to test a cult 9m that a naish rider had.. he was then bummed, because he said he wish he had tried the cult before he bought his REV, as he liked the Cult a lot better and would have buy the Cult instead.
He said more stable, better bar feel, better handling of the gusts, overall more depower, better turning and he also liked the bar better,the bar was the one with the trimming below the bar, it is much more compact than the slingshot one.

G.

tautologies
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tautologies » Thu Sep 27, 2007 8:10 pm

Gary, thats interesting, I must say I would like to have a go on the Rev...but I am super stoked about my helix just getting some really nice kiteloops dialed...I think on of the best parts of the Sigma kites is how it seems to be a lot closer to C-kites in terms of control and pull, than other SLE's I've tried...

I am thinking that might have something to do with it. Dunno though...

a.

kiteingcolin
Medium Poster

Postby kiteingcolin » Thu Sep 27, 2007 8:31 pm

i had both the helix 14 mtr and the rev 9mtr on demo for a week,

i sent them back and bought a 9mtr warroo and 14 mtr royal era

helix was slow, heavy bar and slow, and on 2-1 setting was very heavy on the bar, but quicker, but little low end power,

the rev was slow, and unstable, very unstable, and it inverted on me,

both bars were great

both kites were not great

Dr_Rosen
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Dr_Rosen » Thu Sep 27, 2007 9:13 pm

kiteingcolin wrote:i had both the helix 14 mtr and the rev 9mtr on demo for a week,

i sent them back and bought a 9mtr warroo and 14 mtr royal era

helix was slow, heavy bar and slow, and on 2-1 setting was very heavy on the bar, but quicker, but little low end power,

the rev was slow, and unstable, very unstable, and it inverted on me,

both bars were great

both kites were not great
Why did you buy 2 different brands? (I just bought Era 10+14)

kiteingcolin
Medium Poster

Postby kiteingcolin » Thu Sep 27, 2007 9:28 pm

the warroo 9 mtr for the price of £330 was half the price of an era, and the smaller era and small warroo are both great kites,
and i could not say the extra era price was worth the difference,
the 14 was worth the cash
as it is so so different and much better for low end than any other kite i have tried, and the bar pressure is very low,
which is worth a lot to me, as sailing in light winds with a heavy bar is a right pain

Return to “Kitesurfing”