Would this work??

Forum for kitesurfers
JGTR
Very Frequent Poster
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Would this work??

Postby JGTR » Sun Sep 23, 2007 1:32 pm

Hi all, have been getting really stuck into unhooked moves on my Torch 3 but have been having a few problems with the leash attachment. I ride bows aswell and like the fact that when unhooked on a bow if I drop the bar the kite just depowers and falls to the water, with the Torch I either ride suicide which is ok for raileys and small moves but if I mess up a kite loop it spanks me into the water real hard, but on the other hand if I attach the leash to the 5th line the kite ends up in a mess, usually canopy down on the water and can be a pain in the arse to relaunch, additionally the kite can roll over and get in a bow tie = damaged kite :(

The other day I came up with an idea. Basically its a small length of line that goes from the chicken loop to the attachment point. What is supposed to happen is that when I drop the bar rather than the kite coming all the way down on the 5th line, the line only allows approx 6"-8" of 5th line to be pulled in, hopefully depowering the kite much like a bow allowing me to just grab the bar and ride off.

I think the safety will still work as when you operate the safety the ring on the chicken loop should just slide off (NB this is designed round the Naish Shist System chicken loop). The only problem I can see is the extra line may get caught up when unhooking etc.

Hopefully the pic below will help

What do you guys think??

Jay 8)

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Sun Sep 23, 2007 1:46 pm

sure, could work.

But why not make the depower line longer?
Add a movable stopper and all should be fine?

JGTR
Very Frequent Poster

Postby JGTR » Sun Sep 23, 2007 1:59 pm

I did think about that, but my depower line is as long as possible and I'm still getting spanked if I mess up a kite loop :roll:

I have a Slingshot adjustable stopper but won't it damage the line as it has a screw stop?

woodfu
Frequent Poster

Postby woodfu » Sun Sep 23, 2007 2:53 pm

What about changing the length of the travel in the shift system? Say to two or three meters rather then 5. That would be similar to the freestyle leash on the naish sles, though I don't think it would depower the kite to the same extent.

JGTR
Very Frequent Poster

Postby JGTR » Sun Sep 23, 2007 3:25 pm

Do you mean the stopper on the 5th line???

woodfu
Frequent Poster

Postby woodfu » Sun Sep 23, 2007 4:35 pm

Yeah if its possible to change the length of travel that would be a cleaner alternative. Not that i don't think your idea wouldn't work either.

BWD
Very Frequent Poster

Postby BWD » Sun Sep 23, 2007 6:37 pm

Is it regular or "double depower?" maybe d-d could be better, or change the deployment length like woodfu said? I'd ask someone who has used both...

Your idea looks good except if it were me I would worry about hooking back in with the dangling lines. I would try to keep that stuff above the CL.

Regarding pain, regular release to 5th is probably kindest on the body, I think.

I use a home made pulley like rrd, but with leash to end of 5th.
Post on it now and then, see pic. Pretty good results over a year + of use.

Clamcleat lets me set 5th tension on the fly.
Having the little bit of friction added makes the fifth leash deploy slower than a straight pull, which can be good. No guarantees in bad looping crashes, though.
Disadvantage - more line= occasionally a pain. Caution in waves.
Having the 5th "automatically" tension as I depower the bar let me add a few inches of throw to the C rope. The balance of tension keeps bar pressure light and kite shape adjusted to keep flying well when really really depowered. So I (77kg) can ride a 15 (fuel) from 12-~22 knots comfortably.
When I crash, the slower deployment can let me start relaunching the kite before it gets all the way on its back, if I start soon enough.

Sorry if this is tangential, but thought it might interest you....
Attachments
current 5th rig.JPG
current 5th rig.JPG (52.73 KiB) Viewed 1629 times

JGTR
Very Frequent Poster

Postby JGTR » Sun Sep 23, 2007 7:26 pm

I have both Naish bars, the DD and the Shift, I don't use the DD....it does work but if its that windy that I need to use the DD I switch to my SLE, plus the 5th line can get jammed up in the DD setup when going unhooked.

I prefer the Shift as it it alot cleaner and less to go wrong/get stuck.

Your idea looks good though, but not sure if its what I'm after, is it similar to the DD system on the naish?

The only problem that I have changing the deployment length on the 5th line is that on really windy if I release the kite onto the 5th line to self land it, it can be really hard (nearon impossible) to get to the kite by pulling the 5th line in as it still has quite a bit of power

viktor
Frequent Poster

Postby viktor » Sun Sep 23, 2007 8:25 pm

If you have the kite de-powered on the 5th and loop it are you sure that it will not damage the kite as load is transfered to the 5th?

JGTR
Very Frequent Poster

Postby JGTR » Sun Sep 23, 2007 11:18 pm

My idea is only meant to depower the kite when you drop the bar, not when actually flying the kite, if that makes sense?

Return to “Kitesurfing”