Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

UK Accident

Forum for kitesurfers
SPUDLEY
Rare Poster
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby SPUDLEY » Mon Oct 01, 2007 3:21 pm

Random wrote:I wander what kite the kiter was using.

I wouldn't be suprised if it was a bow. Over the last 3 weeks I've witnessed a number of near accidents with people flying bows. All of them came down to ignorance - people launching with the bar fully in, then backstalling the kite and getting yanked forward something chronic as they let go the bar.

None of them were using leashes as the primary (and only) safety on a bow is to simply release the bar.

HMMMMMMMMMMMM
Seems funny, you use the word "ignorance" Yet did you offer advice to what sounds like learner kiters you are watching, make mistakes.
As for the comment on bow kites not having leashed safety where the kite is released to one line, which kite were you watching? not aware of any lei kite that does not have release to one leashed line. :roll: perhaps i'm just ignorant. :wink:

Tom183
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Tom183 » Mon Oct 01, 2007 3:24 pm

This happened in late September - how many people on the beach at that time of year?

Obviously the kiter wasn't far enough out for conditions and their skill level, but I don't think you can blame the sport as a whole if the beach was mostly empty.

Random
Frequent Poster

Postby Random » Mon Oct 01, 2007 3:37 pm

SPUDLEY wrote:Seems funny, you use the word "ignorance" Yet did you offer advice to what sounds like learner kiters you are watching, make mistakes.
As for the comment on bow kites not having leashed safety where the kite is released to one line, which kite were you watching? not aware of any lei kite that does not have release to one leashed line. :roll: perhaps i'm just ignorant. :wink:
Nice attitude you have there pal.

First time was someone on a Waroo (of course) and the second was someone on a Naish Boxer SLE (I think). I'm afraid I don't spend my time looking at how people are holding their bar when they launch, instead I make sure that the kite is in the right position in the window and that they are ready for me to release. But then what do I know, maybe I need lessons from a master like yourself.

I was astonished that the people who sold the Naish told the rider that he didn't need a leash as it was a bow :o

paulie
Frequent Poster

Postby paulie » Mon Oct 01, 2007 3:46 pm

SPUDLEY wrote: not aware of any lei kite that does not have release to one leashed line.
The 06 Ozone Instinct had no flag out to a leashed line.....

Hairy
Medium Poster

Postby Hairy » Mon Oct 01, 2007 4:02 pm

I was astonished that the people who sold the Naish told the rider that he didn't need a leash as it was a bow
As far as I know, this was a common attitude at the start of last season when bows became mainstream. I thought they'd eventually realise that kitelines break, bridles break and pulleys can wear out and jam :x

sw67
Medium Poster

Postby sw67 » Mon Oct 01, 2007 4:12 pm

Each kiter has to look at the beach they fly at and do a mental risk assesment before setting up. My beach is quiet and at low risk esp at low tide as most walkers stick to the grass or high water line.

I fly bows ( slingshot TD 1 & 2 ) and connect my leash to the front line safety rather than the depower rope as i am still learning and things can go wrong

I have not had lessons but have used large power kites , both fixed bridle and depower for 3.5 years now and when i see some learners just out of lessons crashing kites all over the place i wonder if time on power kites is just as important as lessons

I am sure the kiter involved will have a good look at what went wrong and make sure it does not happen again - as for insurance there is no excuse for not having it in the UK as its only £15 per year
Last edited by sw67 on Mon Oct 01, 2007 4:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

si-fly2
Medium Poster

Postby si-fly2 » Mon Oct 01, 2007 4:27 pm

Tom183 wrote:This happened in late September - how many people on the beach at that time of year?

Obviously the kiter wasn't far enough out for conditions and their skill level, but I don't think you can blame the sport as a whole if the beach was mostly empty.
UK beaches can be pretty busy this time of year as we often get a late summer.

I was out yesterday and the beach was busy with walkers and people stopping to watch the kites!!
Si.

Tom183
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Tom183 » Tue Oct 02, 2007 4:28 am

si-fly2 wrote:
Tom183 wrote:This happened in late September - how many people on the beach at that time of year?

UK beaches can be pretty busy this time of year as we often get a late summer.

I was out yesterday and the beach was busy with walkers and people stopping to watch the kites!!
Si.
Thanks - that puts it in context. Sounds like maybe the designated launch area for summer months could be extended to include early autumn or something along those lines.

Dax
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Dax » Tue Oct 02, 2007 4:41 am

Holy shitballs peeps, we cannot let this kind of thing happen. This sport doesn't need it.

If you see somebody kooking out your beach and they are putting other people in danger put your hook knife to use.

SPUDLEY
Rare Poster

Postby SPUDLEY » Tue Oct 02, 2007 6:54 am

Random wrote:
SPUDLEY wrote:Seems funny, you use the word "ignorance" Yet did you offer advice to what sounds like learner kiters you are watching, make mistakes.
Nice attitude you have there pal.

First time was someone on a Waroo (of course) and the second was someone on a Naish Boxer SLE (I think). I'm afraid I don't spend my time looking at how people are holding their bar when they launch, instead I make sure that the kite is in the right position in the window and that they are ready for me to release. But then what do I know, maybe I need lessons from a master like yourself.

It was your attitude that prompted my response.
Bow bashing is getting pretty tiresome from the elitist few of you out there.

Return to “Kitesurfing”