Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

TOO Much Wind ...

Forum for kitesurfers
PaulMcD
Medium Poster
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby PaulMcD » Tue Oct 09, 2007 3:31 pm

This was a very interesting thread for the most part with both Jon and Rick providing some very good advice and dialogue. Experimental Player (how about your real name) and others have ruined a good discusion. The real purpose of my message is to offer a defense of Jon. I know Jon well and he cares about kiting in all it's aspects including safety. He is one of the nicest and most approachable top level kiters you will ever meet and always finds time to chat with novices and experts alike. One of our local kite spots got a bit overcrowded this summer and local beach goers were getting upset. Jon took control of the dialogue, got everyone to agree to a few simple rules and peace reigns. He did so with his signature easygoing style. I would suggest that experimental player perhaps remain safely ensconsed on his BP rig.

Dunoyer
Rare Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Dunoyer » Tue Oct 09, 2007 3:39 pm

I would like to understand the ins and outs of fifth lines with flat kites

Skyway Scott

Postby Skyway Scott » Tue Oct 09, 2007 3:50 pm

PaulMcD wrote:This was a very interesting thread for the most part with both Jon and Rick providing some very good advice and dialogue. Experimental Player (how about your real name) and others have ruined a good discusion. The real purpose of my message is to offer a defense of Jon. I know Jon well and he cares about kiting in all it's aspects including safety. He is one of the nicest and most approachable top level kiters you will ever meet and always finds time to chat with novices and experts alike. One of our local kite spots got a bit overcrowded this summer and local beach goers were getting upset. Jon took control of the dialogue, got everyone to agree to a few simple rules and peace reigns. He did so with his signature easygoing style. I would suggest that experimental player perhaps remain safely ensconsed on his BP rig.
I agree. I don't know Jon personally, but if you say so, that's good enough for me.
Props to Jon.

I too am really curious about this stuff. I have been landing hybrid kites the way Jon demonstrates for about a year (top front line). I have even modded my bars so that I don't have to grab the line. It works up to about 25k most of the time. I have noticed when it fails, it is usually really windy, or gusty, and as I try to land the kite, wind gets under the LE, "turns the kite over" and it often gets litt, right through the power zone.
This is bad! Therefore, I would be hesitant to try it in 40 on an oversized kite.
Slamming it into a tree and tearing the kite to shreds seems the safest to me (no, I am not joking around) if all by yourself in this scenario. Or just saying "goodbye, Mr. Kite!"

What method has lowest odds of totally kicking your ass (on a large kite in high, unpredicted winds)?
In a couple of our spots, letting totally go (leash and all) is the last option, due to a highway, otherwise I wouldn't be so interested in this thread. Does anyone have high confidence of self landing a hybrid/bow in extreme winds with an oversized kite? Injury to the kite is fine in my mind, btw.
I just don't want to let it go and have possible harm occur on the interstate nearby.

Thanks for any inputs about really high wind events.

Obviously, avoidance of the situation is key and I hope to not have this happen. But, we have had some really whack stuff come through this year that wasn't all that obvious to a casual obverser. 15 to 35+ happened at least 6 maybe 9 times over the past 6 weeks here.

Thanks.

BigR
Very Frequent Poster

Postby BigR » Tue Oct 09, 2007 4:30 pm

15 to 35+ happened at least 6 maybe 9 times over the past 6 weeks here.

More than that I think.

But , ( I think ), Jon's method has less odds of working correctly as the wind increases. And wondering if the kite has a 50% chance of self landing in +30kts , or less than 25% in +40kts is like playing russian roulette with more bullets in the chamber as the wind increases

so far I've also played around with that method in +35kts on a 9m but my kite respectfully disagreed and offered to be caught by an obliging sea grape tree instead

Experimental player
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Experimental player » Tue Oct 09, 2007 5:57 pm

Im Jay see you at the beach, maybe south Africa for me next.
I would visit to florida, but it looks like shit wind, posers and not so powerful waves.

Use a depowering 5 line kite in strong wind OR :accident:

:accident: will happen to you or someone else down wind.

Listen to people who kite regularly in strong winds
Dont be a dumbow, keep your 100% depowering safety attached at all times when its windy.

Skyway Scott

Postby Skyway Scott » Tue Oct 09, 2007 7:05 pm

Yeah, don't come here EP.
That's a good choice.

JON MODICA
Medium Poster

Postby JON MODICA » Tue Oct 09, 2007 9:47 pm

Experimental player wrote:Im Jay see you at the beach, maybe south Africa for me next.
I would visit to florida, but it looks like shit wind, posers and not so powerful waves.

Use a depowering 5 line kite in strong wind OR :accident:

:accident: will happen to you or someone else down wind.

Listen to people who kite regularly in strong winds
Dont be a dumbow, keep your 100% depowering safety attached at all times when its windy.
POSERS????

Kelley Slater, CJ and Damien Hobgood, Damien Leroy, and Andy Hurdman all are posers????

Everyone else.....thank you for the kind words!~!!!!

good winds
-Jon Modica

Skyway Scott

Postby Skyway Scott » Tue Oct 09, 2007 11:40 pm

Don't forget St. Pete native, Billy Parker 8)

Experimental player
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Experimental player » Wed Oct 10, 2007 3:34 am

Posers and name droppers.

Use 5 lines in strong wind. Safest on sliders too.

Dax
Very Frequent Poster

Re: TOO Much Wind ...

Postby Dax » Wed Oct 10, 2007 4:31 am

RickI wrote:The wind is getting stronger fast, you suddenly have too big a flat kite* up, you're standing onshore there is no one downwind of you.

You are holding your bar all the way out but the power isn't dropping off enough. You are afraid things are going to bust loose with you getting dragged, maybe even lofted any second.

What should you do?

* flat kite = SLE, BOW, Bridled leading edge inflatable, etc..
I'd use the REV w/ front line safety, explained around 1:10 in this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OiKY8S9HGFs

I have tested in up to 35 knots. Kite drops out of the sky with no spins. More info here:

phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=2341590

Return to “Kitesurfing”