Forum for kitesurfers
Bryden
Medium Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Lightwind Board (Which Type?)

Postby Bryden » Tue Oct 09, 2007 7:06 am

OK, rather than getting too much into specific brands/models, what type of board is best for planing/going upwind in light wind. I'm looking at 10-12 knots and using a 14m SLE kite. My options are:
a) large twin tip (think Spleene Door 64 or even homemade)
b) surfboard (6 foot plus?)
c) skim board (w straps).
d) other?
Looking to see what has worked best for those of you out there. My current 140 cm Element only starts going around 14 knots or so (probably due to my lack of skill, but still...) and it would be great to be on the water rather than the beach.

Windrider
Very Frequent Poster
Location: Kailua, Hawaii, currently riding EH and OR kites (2013 Razor rocks!)

Postby Windrider » Tue Oct 09, 2007 7:24 am

Since you already have a good twin tip, I'd say get a directional or skim. I've never tried a skim, so I can't comment there. But, a directional is a lot of fun. I have a 6'1" directional and a 7' directional. Both are fun. The 7' is my light wind wonder and starts at around 10-12 mph, and I can ride it up to low 20's if I use a small kite. My 6'1" is more fun because its smaller and jumps like a champ. Also, plenty of fun in the waves or chop-hopping. The 6'1" kicks in at about 12 mph and is good to however high I want to go. I got a super second hand deal from a local shop on the 7' board ($150), and a good new deal from a local shop on the 6'1" (low $600). Right now, my 6'1" is my general goto board for most fun. Incredibly light, strong, and fast. Jumps even if you just barely think about it...

I really like having a twin tip and a directional. Mixes it up and keeps it interesting.

Interesting note is that, though I don't have one, everyone I've met who has a fish style directional really likes them a lot and praises their lightwind/upwind capability. Probably worth a test ride if you are at a place with good local shops where you can try one. Shops around here seem to let you rent a board and then apply the rental fee against the purchase of whatever board you buy from them. If you know the shop people well, they might let you demo it for free.
Last edited by Windrider on Tue Oct 09, 2007 7:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

pierre.d
Very Frequent Poster

Postby pierre.d » Tue Oct 09, 2007 7:38 am

try a fish ... a lot of fun in small waves

R a i n e r
Frequent Poster

Re: Lightwind Board (Which Type?)

Postby R a i n e r » Tue Oct 09, 2007 8:31 am

Bryden wrote:...and it would be great to be on the water rather than the beach.
If that's your aim the Door is the best choice!
I haven't seen anything going upwind with less wind - especially with the new Monster Door! :thumb:

endorphin
Frequent Poster

Postby endorphin » Tue Oct 09, 2007 8:37 am

go for the http://www.szene-solutions.com/dbpro.htm

this board is more loose and holds the edge much longer than any other big board!
It's incredible fast, handmade out of highest quality materials, has excellent pop and is really light.

Try it, you'll love it.

I'm not connected to szene-solutions in any case, but the dicke berta pro would be my choice in the future (as i have a Slingshot Glide, and have tried all types of other doors and boards like this)

bragnouff
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Local Beach: New Brighton
Gear: Boards: Alkita boards
Zeeko Slash/AirWave/Scrambler
Amundson Johno
Foils: Spitfire XLW/ XXLW. GoFoil NL130/160/190
Kites: FS Peaks
HB Legion
Wings:Zeeko Carve
HB Flair/Guide...
Brand Affiliation: GK enthusiast / Zeeko & HB Pimp

Postby bragnouff » Tue Oct 09, 2007 10:11 am

Depends where you ride...
If you're lucky enough to have decent waves, then a buoyant surfboard will be good, just use your kite to get a wave and surf.
Else if you're still lucky to have flat water, then a board like a door - what I call a flaqueboard(TM)- will give you some real advantage in terms of upwind, early start. Actually riding with no fins on a board like this will definitely push its advantages even further, reduce the drag, increase the speed and apparent wind, take advantage of the ground effect in the shallows and overall more lively and fun to ride, and lighter on the feet also. There are a few brands offering boards like that with a full fin setup, that's a total nonsense! No need to supersize either (140x40 as a door-ish shape is more than enough for 85kg). Note that this kind of board is really fun in waves also, up to shoulder high.

Last case, if you don't have waves, or flat water but just a nasty chop, basically you're screwed... as the chop will nullify all your attempts at building some board speed. You'll need an extra two knots before having fun.

olsen
Medium Poster

Postby olsen » Tue Oct 09, 2007 10:17 am

If u have enough money get a foilboard
For sure the best lightwind board ever!
It goes upwind like hell with my 11 like hell. Even the silverarrow and a door has no chance to beat it!

believe me :dance3:

Olsen

R a i n e r
Frequent Poster

Postby R a i n e r » Tue Oct 09, 2007 11:28 am

olsen wrote:If u have enough money get a foilboard
For sure the best lightwind board ever!
It goes upwind like hell with my 11 like hell. Even the silverarrow and a door has no chance to beat it!

believe me :dance3:

Olsen
With all due respect - I don't Image

olsen
Medium Poster

Postby olsen » Tue Oct 09, 2007 6:54 pm

But it´s true man....
with the silverarrow it would be the best lightwindcombo ever
With my 11 it just takes 6-8 knots to go upwind.

it´s not easy to ride a foilboard but as soon as you are out of the water there is nearly no friction and you can speed your board up by "pumping" just like you do when you want to stay in a wave!

Tone
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Tone » Tue Oct 09, 2007 8:34 pm

olsen wrote:But it´s true man....
with the silverarrow it would be the best lightwindcombo ever
With my 11 it just takes 6-8 knots to go upwind.

it´s not easy to ride a foilboard but as soon as you are out of the water there is nearly no friction and you can speed your board up by "pumping" just like you do when you want to stay in a wave!
haha i wish i had your "6 to 8 knots" where i live.... no fufcking WAY does an 11m work in that wind.

Return to “Kitesurfing”