finalsound
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Tybee Island GA, Mud Lake ID
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Wakestyle/PKRA Style Question...

Postby finalsound » Mon Oct 22, 2007 3:25 pm

I'm kind of new to kiting, been riding a year. Long enough though to start developing my taste as far as style is concerned. I love what Hadlow is doing in his new video, as well as the Lenten stuff, and the North riders in the Vegas 08 demo video. But I do feel a bit out of the loop as far as the background dialog about riding styles. I think I understand the criticisms of old school boosting freestyle, dangle-passes etc, but I've also heard people criticizing the riding style in the PKRA. I'm not really sure what is meant by "PKRA way of riding." Can anyone explain the nuances within the wakestyle school for me? Maybe examples of riders, what the PKRA is encouraging etc? Anyone who's been around a while and has any thoughts on this please chime in. :)

nab1000
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: 757, 252
Style: Wake
Gear: LF HiFi's, Influence 138, LF Cabs
Brand Affiliation: Wave Riding Vehicle Surfboards

Postby nab1000 » Mon Oct 22, 2007 3:51 pm

true wakestyle is done with your kite as close to the water as possible. 45 degrees.... ect.... we critisize the pkra judging and everything because let just say langeree goes and throws a double handle pass or double "dangle pass" with his kite straight above him, so he has more lift, but less power. He will recieve more points than hadlow if hadlow goes and throws a switch back mobe with his kite at 45 degrees. Hadlows trick is twice as hard, powerfull, and stylish but still recieves less points. If you watch hadlows video he describes where he wants to take the sport, and the way he describes it is just where wakestyle needs to be. Powerful and stylish.

my opinion though that TRUE wakestyle style can only be done with full wake bindings.

Mash-denmark
Rare Poster

Postby Mash-denmark » Mon Oct 22, 2007 4:36 pm

nab1000 wrote: my opinion though that TRUE wakestyle style can only be done with full wake bindings.
Why?
this is the only point about wakestyle as i don't understand yet. What can you do with bindings, as you can't do with straps?
Otherwise, I totally agree with you, powerfull and style is the way forward :wink:

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Mon Oct 22, 2007 4:42 pm

as far as I know, the judging is the other way around!

the lower the kite, the more power and the more points you will get!
The higher the kite the less power you have, but will also get less points.

That's why people are less interested in the comps anymore, since they want to see BIG AIR combined with the unhooked and hooked tricks.
Just ask the normal people on the beach what they want to see!

To make the sport more interesting it should be all about height scoring the most percentage, then technical difficulty. Remember Red Bull King of the Air events on Maui? THAT is an awesome event!

http://www.kiteforum.tv/component/optio ... Itemid,30/
http://www.kiteforum.tv/component/optio ... Itemid,30/

It's time to change and serve the mass again. Why are 70% bows and 30% C kites sold? Because the mass demands it!

Pedro Marcos
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Pedro Marcos » Mon Oct 22, 2007 6:41 pm

Ill try to keep it simple:

Lower kite angle doesnt mean more power.

What PKRA judging criteria is looking for is Speed and good kite angle that allows riders to the tricks without hanging on the bar or dangling.

--->>> THEY DONT WANNA SEE SMALL CRAP!!! <<<---

also

--->>> THEY DONT WANNA SEE HIGH HANGING ONTHEBAR/ DANGLING CRAP !!! <<<----

So a mobe with the kite high hanging on the bar its just as bad as slow board speed kite at 30º no pop mobe.

They way to go is kite at 45º-55º , MAX really MAX board speed and travel in the air as high as u can doing the trick with power and style.

Ahh, and you can also loop it like a madman like len10 does it fits really well in my book :)

and also (this one goes for toby)

If its really windy show off that triple spin boardoff tailattack 10meters high in the air travelling along all the competition area, im pretty sure no one will penalise you for that :)

PMM

nab1000
Very Frequent Poster

Postby nab1000 » Mon Oct 22, 2007 9:24 pm

If you look at the past judging decisions on pkra competitions you will see extreme elements explanations saying that the judges scored in favor of the person throwing the double handlpass because its ?harder? over the person throwing the lower powerful moves.

Langeree won the final round, earning the top spot in the podium with more technical riding, landing a mobe 7 off a big wave, butt-checking a front mobe 5, a huge KGB, blind judge 3, late pass mobe, indy frontside 540 off a wave and a double back mobe. Hadlow landed a powered back to blind air-pass, regular and switched slim, regular and switched mobe but no double pass moves. The power he rode with did not outweigh Langeree’s technical variation and height.
The qeustion isn't about what should be in the PKRA, its about what wakestyle is.

Why are the majority of people not riding what the pros ride? Thats because they push it. For example i bet 70% of people at your local slope arn't riding pro models, or atleast dont know how to use them for what their made for. but this is not an argument over bows v. c-kites. it's about what

I think all competitions should be like the Triple-S. http://realkiteboarding.com/index.cfm?p ... em&id=1311

Drande
Medium Poster
Style: wakestyle
Brand Affiliation: Liquid Force, O'Neill

Postby Drande » Mon Oct 22, 2007 9:58 pm

a bit out of topic, but:
I would say that working just on crowds taste is kind a cheap.
If some artist will work just on crowds taste, hee will never sucseed and will never reach higher level bacause crowd mostly doesnt understand too much of da thing.
If someone is working just on average public , its bichy and cheap
What you are pushing, Toby, is wrong.
To score hight more than difficulty is gey and will stop progres.
Highest level must be head higher than normal people taste.

:bye:

Pedro Marcos
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Pedro Marcos » Mon Oct 22, 2007 10:12 pm

nab1000 wrote:If you look at the past judging decisions on pkra competitions you will see extreme elements explanations saying that the judges scored in favor of the person throwing the double handlpass because its ?harder? over the person throwing the lower powerful moves.

Langeree won the final round, earning the top spot in the podium with more technical riding, landing a mobe 7 off a big wave, butt-checking a front mobe 5, a huge KGB, blind judge 3, late pass mobe, indy frontside 540 off a wave and a double back mobe. Hadlow landed a powered back to blind air-pass, regular and switched slim, regular and switched mobe but no double pass moves. The power he rode with did not outweigh Langeree’s technical variation and height.
The qeustion isn't about what should be in the PKRA, its about what wakestyle is.

Why are the majority of people not riding what the pros ride? Thats because they push it. For example i bet 70% of people at your local slope arn't riding pro models, or atleast dont know how to use them for what their made for. but this is not an argument over bows v. c-kites. it's about what

I think all competitions should be like the Triple-S. http://realkiteboarding.com/index.cfm?p ... em&id=1311
Top6 riders heats are always very hard to decide, thats why there is 5 judges, sometimes decisions are 3-2 which means it was really close and probably a matter of personal taste of each judge. I know personaly who is writing that reports and in that case what he wants to say is that the tech dificulty was superior in favor of kevin against the "more power" of aaron. Meaning that Aaron was more powerfull, but Kevin was fine too and the diference between the tech was too big to give it to Aaron because of that "extra" power.

I judged PKRA last 2 years, sometimes i didnt agree on finals 3-2 decisions, but thats why there is 5 judges.

Windguy
Frequent Poster

Postby Windguy » Mon Oct 22, 2007 10:57 pm

TRUE wakestyle can only be done behind a boat.........hence the term WAKEstyle. All you 45 degree only kiters are just wakeboarder wanna be's that can't afford a boat and don't have any friends to drive it. I think comp judging should require both elements. Huge air and wakestyle. Watch Hadlow on the flexifoil website on the Ion 2 page. It's filmed in South Africa and he does some wakestyle and 50 foot airs. It's the 50 foot airs that please the crowds and get chicks.

nab1000
Very Frequent Poster

Postby nab1000 » Mon Oct 22, 2007 11:58 pm

wow windyboy first of all the qeustion was "what is wakestyle kiting" not "what riding style should everyone ride" so stop hating on wakestyle you wanna be dangle passer.

damn this is worse than a middle school cafeteria.

Return to “Kitesurfing”