Local Beach: Assateague National Seashore, Maryland
Gear: Ozone WASP wind wing
Naish 8-0 Directional
Sand kart
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0

Royal Era 14 in light air....the movie

Postby Wetstuff » Wed Oct 24, 2007 5:19 pm

I've noticed a few posts about the light air question in general but didn't see much info about this new kite brand. Rather than post some words that can often be pure, pimping Bullsh/t, I'd rather present graphics... You judge for yourself.

It's like paint drying ..but more fun.

http://wetstuff.com/movie/Era14_lightair.htm

j i m

I'm 90kg ..board is a 134x41 Crazy Fly made for Jeff Howard.

ed257
Very Frequent Poster

Postby ed257 » Thu Oct 25, 2007 1:10 am

That is pretty impressive for a 14 meter.

How much wind does it need before you get get some decent boosts (20 ft or so)?

Have you tried the Thruster 14? How about the Nem HP 14?

Ed

Andres_Santacruz
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: All Mexico: Laguna de Tecocomulco, Hidalgo. Acapulco, Guerrero. Boca del Rio, Veracruz.
Favorite Beaches: Progreso, Yucatan. El Revolcadero, Acapulco, Guerrero. La Ventana, Baja California Sur, Mexico. Ilho do Guajiru, Ceara, Brazil.
Style: Big Air and waves and freestyle.
Gear: Ozone Kites: Reo V3 8m, Edge V9 8m, C4 2015 10m, Edge V9 13m, Chrono V3 15m, Ozone Zephyr V5 17m. Core XR5 10m.
Boards: Fone Acid 132 2016, ASP NZ Stealth Custom 135, Axis Limited 140 2018, Axis Ultra 144 2015,Axis New Wave 5'8" Surf, Fone Mitu 5'4 2017 Surf, Camet Custom 139 Foilboard and Alpine Foil Access V3 Foil, Naish Alaia Strapless
Brand Affiliation: I sell Ozone,Core,Slingshot,Naish,F-ONE,Crazy Fly,Axis,Mystic,Manera,Pro-Limit & Dakine.

Postby Andres_Santacruz » Thu Oct 25, 2007 1:48 am

Cool vid Jim, is your camera one of the olympus water proof types, do you stick it on a tripod in shallow water?

Skyway Scott
Been thanked: 0

Postby Skyway Scott » Thu Oct 25, 2007 2:35 am

I noticed toward the end of the video that you took advantage of the extra juice the plane provided. :)

That kite rocks, for sure. We have a few of them here in St. Pete and I have had the joy of demoing them. It's basically a 15m Hyper Type (which is what I have), but tamed down a little in terms of stability with a little more of a C feel to it, as well.

In terms of boosting, I haven't ridden a light wind kite (that can go to medium winds no problem) that is noticeably (if at all) a better booster than the Royal. I have ridden the 14m Thruster.
I think a true 20 footer would take solid high teens of wind at my size, which is 155 pounds. Can anyone jump 20 feet (high) in flat water in less than 15 knots?

frez
Medium Poster

Postby frez » Thu Oct 25, 2007 7:51 am

Yep...I can do 20 feet in 12 knots on a Speed 2 19 using a Nobile 555 134. I weigh 80 kg.

The Flysurfer Speed take a little practise to get massive lift as the amount of power available can easily drag you off edge. Conversely the enormous depower makes even the 19 manageable for me in up to 16 knots.

I have been on the water with HT 15's and the RE 14. There is no comparison in terms of light wind capability between tube kites such as these and the Flysurfers. Don't take my word for it though - give them a go and see for yourself. I have recently bought an FS19 after demoing it. I wasn't serious to be honest but half an hour on the bloody thing had me convinced. Bought it the same day.

In 13/14 knots with the right technique you can boost high enough to shit your boardshorts and the hang time is unfuckingbelieveable.

Wetstuff
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Assateague National Seashore, Maryland
Gear: Ozone WASP wind wing
Naish 8-0 Directional
Sand kart

Postby Wetstuff » Thu Oct 25, 2007 2:03 pm

Frez: C'mon... I've seen Armin be the first one out in Cabarete, and yes, they work .. and I was one of those who thought Peter Lynn got his instructions from God herself ..but stop acting like a Shopping Mall Christian and injecting your propaganda into other conversations. Trust me, people who want something different will seek you out.

Ed257: Actually, you'd be surprised at how willing this kite is. For my size/skill its sweet spot is about 16-20kts. I don't know if I get 20'?! ..I'm afraid of heights and kinda freeze at a certain point in a boost.

Andres: ¿Que tal? It's a simple, Sanyo video camera on a tripod. Here's a couple of cool little clips of our local crew.. The first one is priceless.

http://wetstuff.com/movie/Eric_Troy_splash.htm

http://wetstuff.com/movie/Eric_jump.htm

http://wetstuff.com/movie/Greg_flying.htm

j i m

mykrowyre
Frequent Poster

Postby mykrowyre » Thu Oct 25, 2007 3:12 pm

frez wrote:Yep...I can do 20 feet in 12 knots on a Speed 2 19 using a Nobile 555 134. I weigh 80 kg.
In 13/14 knots with the right technique you can boost high enough to shit your boardshorts and the hang time is unfuckingbelieveable.
Uhuh... calling BS on that one. In 12? 10ft max, in a good gust., more like 6-8.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tXfbMsM924c

Back to topic:
I've ridden the 14era, 14 thruster, 15 waroo, 15 hyper, etc, also.

The 15 hyper and the 14 era were the best jumpers, but the 14 era wins in stability over the hyper but the hyper goes up wind significantly better (this is all because of the bridle design I believe)... The thruster fluttered a bit but jumped ok, not bad but certainly not what is hyped constantly. No higher than my 12 waroo on that day. Not bad but nothing new.

I have video of Scott jumping on the 15 hyper and the 14 thruster back to back and based on that I would choose the hyper (or era in this case). I can't afford one right now so I'm waiting until I can get one used.

There is opinion based on hype, opinion based on experience, and opinion based around inexperience. The challenge is to identify each.
Last edited by mykrowyre on Thu Oct 25, 2007 3:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Brent4336
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Brent4336 » Thu Oct 25, 2007 3:15 pm

I'm sure the FS has more grunt than probably almost any other kite out there, but I'm not looking for grunt alone in a big kite. The fun factor has a lot more than park and ride in the equation. At 180 I'm happy with a 12m era as my big kite. Can imagine the 14 is a lot of fun. Havent tried one yet, but am stoked with a 12. That thing has me powered and boosting on my regular twin in 12 knots. The 10 is the best kite Ive ever flown. That thing is rediculously fun. That vid is increadible but almost painful in its tedium. Not a critisism as I know the point your making with it. Still couldn't quite make it to the end!

Really hope Royal last in the industry and we see years of refinement to what is simply a kick ass design. Simone definitely knows is $hit.

frez
Medium Poster

Postby frez » Thu Oct 25, 2007 3:21 pm

Whoops...can see why my mail might have come across the wrong way there! Not trying to be evangelical at all. RE and HT both nice kites to fly. I guess I got a bit caught up in the 20 footer info request.

It's not BS but I don't have any pics of a windmeter and me on the kite to prove it. Try it yourself and then make the call.

Anyway I'll stay out of this thread as it was not my intention to upset anyone and I didn't mean to pimp.

tstansbury
Medium Poster

Postby tstansbury » Thu Oct 25, 2007 4:01 pm

How is the relaunch on these kites RE HT and new waroo In light wind? The only 08 I have ridden is the rev and the relaunch was crazy easy.

Return to “Kitesurfing”