Rocketfish 6' 2008

Forum for kitesurfers
TurcoLoco
Medium Poster
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Rocketfish 6' 2008

Postby TurcoLoco » Wed Oct 24, 2007 9:37 pm

Weighting 100 kg I am seriously considering the board.
Would like some input of people who ACTUALLY rode it.
Thank You

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Rocketfish 6' 2008

Postby Peter_Frank » Wed Oct 24, 2007 9:39 pm

TurcoLoco wrote:Weighting 100 kg I am seriously considering the board.
Would like some input of people who ACTUALLY rode it.
Thank You
Search in the forum, has just been up as a topic !

It is much smaller than last years Rocketfish's though...

TurcoLoco
Medium Poster

rocketfish

Postby TurcoLoco » Wed Oct 24, 2007 9:59 pm

I have last years 5'5" and like it when well powered.
I have to sail with my back foot off the strap a lot.
I wonder how bouth boards compare not in measures but in actual sailing.

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Re: rocketfish

Postby Peter_Frank » Wed Oct 24, 2007 10:27 pm

TurcoLoco wrote:I have last years 5'5" and like it when well powered.
I have to sail with my back foot off the strap a lot.
I wonder how bouth boards compare not in measures but in actual sailing.
For my weight 73kg, the 5'5 was too big/wide, and I almost needed the aft strap further aft than possible.

So weight DOES make a lot of difference !

And also how experienced you are in waves - you dont write about that ?

I dont know - but I have the feeling the 6'0 2008 wont be bigger than your 5'5 2007 :wink:

But a different board - you will (I think) be able to push harder in the cutback, without slipping out, with the 2008 :P

I dont know, I only ride the 5'6 2008 - and listen to what experience and a few others say about the 6'0.

Kindly, Peter Frank

TurcoLoco
Medium Poster

rocketfish

Postby TurcoLoco » Thu Oct 25, 2007 12:14 am

Peter,
If the 6' wont bo bigger than my 5'5" why carry the extra lengh?
This is one of the things I would like compared.
I am experienced.
Thank you.

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Re: rocketfish

Postby Peter_Frank » Thu Oct 25, 2007 7:27 am

TurcoLoco wrote:Peter,
If the 6' wont bo bigger than my 5'5" why carry the extra lengh?
This is one of the things I would like compared.
I am experienced.
Thank you.
The extra length is for being able to lay the board forward/flat and have a good drive in the wave - meaning okay planing with weight on the front foot (but not earlier than a shorter wider board), but especially REALLY good control and stability in fast bottom turns and in chop also.
Because it is slightly more rockered and has thinner edges and a bit more narrow tail, and longer.
You can usually also control your speed and wave positioning better (easier), when a bit longer and more curve.

You also get better grip when hitting the lip hard (usually).

Whether the board will "feel" bigger or smaller, is individual preferences.
Too long or too heavy, and it does not feel good in small waves, for me.
Others has the opposite view here 8)

I can not say much as I dont know the 6'0 as I wrote - but can give an idea of what the differences might be, also in general terms :P

If the board is TOO rockered or tail kick (more than we are talking about here), the board turns excellent and easy and in ANY radius, and gives often good grip also :thumb:
BUT, you will get a slow board, so your bottom turn will be very very different, and the speed down the line also decreased - and this wont feel good either, when too much...

I like a board that has fairly good speed, and not too long, myself. But it is because I ride very different wave sizes, also VERY small often, because it is fun. But I also dont like boards too wide and flat, as they dont "fit" in the wave, and are too difficult to bury hard in the wave/lip on full speed/powered cutbacks.
No matter whether big or small waves.

Thats just my taste - and believe me, there are as many different likings (or more) as there are different likings about colours 8)

Above is just some rough general terms, please dont take it as more as that :D

Kindly, Peter Frank

fearlu
Frequent Poster

Postby fearlu » Mon Nov 12, 2007 4:25 pm

Loving the new 6'0". FAR more responsive and snappy than last year's big one (5'10"). It's also a significantly smaller board overall (except length) and I rode it yesterday at Waddell Creek, nicely powered, small waves, awesome handling. LOVES to be slashed as hard as you dare and will certainly handle more critical vertical sections than the previous model.

That said, I doubt it has the low-end of the 5'10" but for real waves it just friggin' RIPS. The plastic fins worked fine too (I thought they may be too flexible) but I never felt like they were inadequate and we were pretty well over-powered around 3 PM or so (averaging low 30s for a while.)

If you are looking for a production wave-tool you should ride this thing. It is a very high-performance shape and when compared side-by-side to the custom PRO models from John Amundson it looks pretty much the same design-wise. Great board, highly responsive, light weight, great finish, turns on a dime, smacks the lip with confidence and sticks well while railed-over. A very precise slashing device... I'm STOKED!

Wawando
Very Frequent Poster
Location: Portugal - Guincho; Rebel2012 5m, 9m & 2011 7m; Amundson 5'9&6'

Postby Wawando » Mon Nov 12, 2007 7:21 pm

fearlu wrote:Loving the new 6'0". FAR more responsive and snappy than last year's big one (5'10"). It's also a significantly smaller board overall (except length) and I rode it yesterday at Waddell Creek, nicely powered, small waves, awesome handling. LOVES to be slashed as hard as you dare and will certainly handle more critical vertical sections than the previous model.

That said, I doubt it has the low-end of the 5'10" but for real waves it just friggin' RIPS. The plastic fins worked fine too (I thought they may be too flexible) but I never felt like they were inadequate and we were pretty well over-powered around 3 PM or so (averaging low 30s for a while.)

If you are looking for a production wave-tool you should ride this thing. It is a very high-performance shape and when compared side-by-side to the custom PRO models from John Amundson it looks pretty much the same design-wise. Great board, highly responsive, light weight, great finish, turns on a dime, smacks the lip with confidence and sticks well while railed-over. A very precise slashing device... I'm STOKED!
Hi,
Can you tell us about what other boards you tried and how does it compare?
Thanks!

fearlu
Frequent Poster

Postby fearlu » Mon Nov 12, 2007 11:12 pm

I've only ridden 3 other directionals lately. Last year's RF 5'10" (which I own), last year's Naish 5'4" and a custom Amundson 5'9". I prefer the new RF 6'0" to all three. The closest performance-wise was the custom. No surprise here right? I always thought the A-customs turned SO much more quickly than the RF models but now I don't think you are giving much up with the production model-- it's that good. Then again, I haven't ridden the latest custom PRO model so...

powerkiteaddict
Very Frequent Poster

Postby powerkiteaddict » Tue Nov 13, 2007 2:14 am

fearlu wrote:Loving the new 6'0". FAR more responsive and snappy than last year's big one (5'10"). It's also a significantly smaller board overall (except length) and I rode it yesterday at Waddell Creek, nicely powered, small waves, awesome handling. LOVES to be slashed as hard as you dare and will certainly handle more critical vertical sections than the previous model.

I rode the 6 and th 59 in the same session in about 18knots and shoulder high waves-I ahd exactly the same impression-STOKED on both boards-eventually went with the 59 (I'm only 75kg) and liked that it was looser than the 6 (but not much). I was also worried about the plastic fins-but they seem to work-release really well off the top.

I am LOVING the 59-a gem of a board-my mate has a 59 Amunsdsen hand shape-and really-there's so little diffrence between them-and I think the production is probably more durable. GREAT boards. I have NO affiliation with any manufacturer.

PKA

Return to “Kitesurfing”