Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

RRD quality - warranty issues

Forum for kitesurfers
R Soul
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Location: Str8 From The Horses Mouth... Ravens and Shinns... Love 'em.
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby R Soul » Wed Nov 21, 2007 1:09 pm

Hi Jeff,

I'm not an RRD flier, I just feel this guy has been treated badly by lack of customer service.
A brand can make the best kites in the world, but if the back up is poor, the brand will suck!
j1finnn1 wrote: ...For the '08 kites, the clip is covered with neoprene to mitigate chafing on the canopy....
So from that, we can deduce RRD has noticed a problem and have rectified it for the 08 line-up.
j1finnn1 wrote: ...Also, let's not forget that most of the aforementioned major brands mentioned in this thread had their OWN problems in '07 :)....
Thanks,
Jeff
Deep Blue Sports
Yep, they certainly did... and they all escaped by providing generally good support.
My friend split his Torch from top to bottom on it's second use. He was having a very powered session, and it just went.
Rider problem? Defect? Who could tell, but it was a new kite and was replaced very quickly without an arguement.

For sure there was a problem with this design, as it has now been changed, but there's an even bigger problem with the support from the dealer and/or RRD.
timstijntjes wrote:
...I tried, the dealer is Italian as well, didn't really help, besides giving me the email of someone at RRD... and I agree, this is something the dealer should solve for me.
What a joke!
The dealer passed on an email address? What was the problem, he's too busy kiting to help out himself? Even if RRD had turned him down flat, he should've persisted.

RRD has had a good year, now it's time to stand up and be counted.

Jeff, as a dealer yourself now, can you not contact RRD and see if they can help this poor guy out, rather than use this thread to pimp yourself?
You can gain some kudos, here!

We pay alot of money for equipment these days, dealer or brand loyalty isn't an automatic thing... it has to be earned!

timstijntjes, I hope you get the desreved result from this thread, good luck!

RS... Fighting for a fair deal for all, regardless of brand!

wakeboy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby wakeboy » Wed Nov 21, 2007 10:30 pm

I know Roberto (he's a nice guy and always interested in r+d) from rrd as i live where they have their base, I also fix kites for a job and can see that what you have described is indeed not a rider error, it is a kite design/fault. However, Rrd are good kites and this is the only major problem i have seen in their kites, this last year i have spent a lot of time sewing up the leading edges of naishes that seem to like opening up as all the stitching comes undone! So each company makes balls ups.

In this case if the kite is not new new and you've used it a bit, also depending where you live, your kite is covered by different warranties. I see many people claiming the kite is at fault when really they are the idiots, but in this case i think that is not the case.

If you've been offered 50 percent of retail (is that by importer or RRD?), that's pretty good. get them to ship it to you for free though... they are a business after all and they are trying to make money, not give stuff away for free but i think in this case goodwill would definitely be important. If you are not happy with what you've been left with. a repair on this would not be cheap either unless you do it yourself with sail tape and a sewing machine, it's not difficult and the kite would fly fine afterwards. The guys at RRD are very reasonable people and im not sure what has been said but i reckon if you email RRD direct and talk to Claudio at RRD HQ (find the email address on the site) he is very nice guy who if you treat them with respect will listen to what you have to say for sure. If that doesn't work and you feel ignored i can talk to him for you as i know him and he would listen to me for sure, however the business decision lies with them, let us know how it goes.... they are all decent people just dont hit them hard and they will respond be direct and clear though as they are Italian and being subtly persuasive is not their game... be clear from the outset and polite and see what happens.

scott gibson
Rare Poster

Postby scott gibson » Fri Nov 23, 2007 4:17 am

This is definitely a warranty issue and I would not accept 50% you will have to get Roberto's attention to this poor design and get a new kite. You have every right to be outraged at this flaw in workmanship. A kite maker that will not warranty this will not be around very long, what a piece of crayola. Call Roberto directly and have him get on the phone to the factory and ship out a new one. That rip was just waiting to happen, if not now then next week.

butisx
Rare Poster

..replacement ?

Postby butisx » Fri Nov 23, 2007 10:14 am

..sorry I don't understand why some of us speak about replacement..!!
Where is the proof that the white clamp breakes the kite ??
I mean that all the kites when it breakes ,happened just close to the strut!!
Could someone proof I'm no right.Hard impact pn the water ,and clamp or not the kite ripped close to the strut,especially in strong wind and smaller size.
Replacement is a thuft issue,all the riders breakes his kite and claim agains the manufacturer,but I know the kite are made to fly not to go full speed on
the water....I guess as It's the law,if this guy is able to proove the the fault comes to the clamp RRD has to replace it...but really have someone on this forum a kite ripped different to this even without the white clamp ??
:?: :?: :?: :?:

North_Wind
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Rhosneigr
Big Bay, Cape Town
Style: cruising and jumping
Gear: Duotone

RRD

Postby North_Wind » Fri Nov 23, 2007 11:03 am

I hope you can sort this out with RRD without having to start thinking about the law. Having read the thread and looked at the pictures I think they should be replacing your kite without further delay.

If one starts thinking about the law then note that in many countries (though I do not know about Brasil) your contract is with the dealer (not the kite manufacturer) and the responsibility to repair or replace falls on the dealer not the manufacturer. The dealer in turn has rights and remedies at law and under contract as against the importer, and so on ...

North Wind

BWD
Very Frequent Poster

Postby BWD » Fri Nov 23, 2007 7:43 pm

butisx
You can clearly see in the picture where the tear started, as the fabric there is distorted around the point it where was punctured by the clip. It looks a little "crumpled" right at the puncture, and the tear spreads out from that point.
this pattern should be familiar if you have ever had a rip in a canopy from a sharp pointy thing (clips, sticks, rocks, etc.).

Me!
Medium Poster

Postby Me! » Fri Nov 23, 2007 11:27 pm

Bro, get ya money back

then get a Rev 7 .. :wink:

flyaway
Frequent Poster

Postby flyaway » Mon Nov 26, 2007 9:44 am

How did this problem resolved?
Any news from the unlucky guy?

Yesterday a friend of mine burst it´s hypertype 12 model 2007 just like that, a new one, bought last week, and only flew 3 times...
In this case as the kite was new, it came from the store without the plastic clips.
I think this is not a problem of the one pump pastic clips, but a 100% design issue!

timstijntjes
Rare Poster

Postby timstijntjes » Mon Nov 26, 2007 12:41 pm

flyaway wrote:How did this problem resolved?
Any news from the unlucky guy?
Not really, on email with RRD no changes in the offer of 50% on a new kite. (I am not interested in spending more money on them) Wanted to talk to Roberto but missed him a few times while looking for him in Cumbuco. Will try again today, maybe he is more customer minded.

Any news, I'll post it here.

whiskas
Medium Poster
Style: Wake
Gear: LF Element with Escalade bindnings. Eh Wave 7, 11, 15

Postby whiskas » Mon Nov 26, 2007 2:02 pm

I think this has been mentioned before, but at least in the EU, during warranty (one year regardless of product) it is the manufacturers responsibility to prove it was NOT a fabrication fault, which will probably be difficult to do in doubtful cases. One then has another year warranty where it is the consumers responsibility to prove that it WAS a fabiraction fault (probably virtually impossible).

Return to “Kitesurfing”