Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Whateverhappened To The 06 "Bladderless" Nemesis?

Forum for kitesurfers
Beachboy
Frequent Poster
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Whateverhappened To The 06 "Bladderless" Nemesis?

Postby Beachboy » Mon Nov 12, 2007 12:10 am

What happened to the 06 Best Bladderless Nemesis who's release was announced on these pages in 05? Was it a hoax? Since it never materialized... what was the technology involved? Vaporware? Sky hooks? Are there any bladderless inflatables in our future?
Attachments
Nemesis 06.jpg
Nemesis 06.jpg (8.71 KiB) Viewed 2676 times

tautologies
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby tautologies » Mon Nov 12, 2007 7:26 am

My GUESS is that it was never really a product, but a drawing to show prior art when the bows came out, to limit the probability of a successful bow patent defense. As far as I remember the text following the image said that they had been working on it for years already, and that is would be the nemesis 06. I think it was also designed to take some of the momentum out of the Carbinha and to some degree Takoon's bow sales where Best dropped the ball and didn't see how popular the shape would be.

I don't think there ever was a kite like that, and I don't think they ever tested it...what comes in our future who knows...to categorically deny it will ever happen would be stupid though.

of course this is IMO.
a.

schmoe
Very Frequent Poster

Postby schmoe » Mon Nov 12, 2007 9:07 am

Agreed, just a panic response. probably invented by a graphic designer 10 minutes before it was published on the web.

mickpilch
Very Frequent Poster

Postby mickpilch » Mon Nov 12, 2007 1:10 pm

To be fair I think they were working on bladderless technology...

Not so sure on that drawing though :wink:

tautologies
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tautologies » Mon Nov 12, 2007 1:32 pm

mickpilch wrote:To be fair I think they were working on bladderless technology...

Not so sure on that drawing though :wink:
I actually don't think so..if they were, then I don't think the Hellfish incident would not have happened since they would already know how to stitch the material properly. Especially since they claimed working on it from 2004. Again, it's just my thoughts on the matter...

To me there were simply too many things that didn't add up.

a.

fkb
Medium Poster

Postby fkb » Mon Nov 12, 2007 3:27 pm

Like why would anyone want to get rid of bladders? It would make the kite heavier, more expensive to make, and more expensive to repair, all for what?

I haven't had a bladder leak in 3 years!

I think the patent guess is right... and also some spin to put out some good news after the hell fish fiasco. Standard business tactics :)

I admit they almost lost me in 2005 with all the hype but hey it's business they all do it. They won me back when they started with the waroo and now the 08 waroo is really a great and completely different kite. The newer companies these days are pimping just like Best did back in it's early days... it's fun to watch, and really it's all part of getting the name recognized.

I still laugh at how much resistance Best got... being banned from places, etc, all because they wanted to sell kites for LOW prices instead of raking people over the coals for $2000 for a single kite.

Ok end rant.. hahaha.

What I'm trying to say is, I love this sport.

sq225917
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1996
Local Beach: Cleethorpes, Hunstanton, Lytham
Gear: Eleveight and Flysurfer

Postby sq225917 » Mon Nov 12, 2007 4:08 pm

The bladderless concept is still a 'work in progress'.

The reasoning behind it is to remove the weight of the bladders from the kites. if you've ever held a full set of bladders for a kite then you know how much they weigh. A set for a 15m comes in close to the 5lb mark. So saving some or all of that weight is going to allow us to make a kite that handles better in ligther winds and extend the usability of the low end of the kite.

Using Cuben for the LE and struts get us maybe 70% of the way towards this goal. The trick with using Cuben in this way is that it has to be radio frequency welded and the attachment parts to the canopy also have to be welded in place.

The real stumbling block with this is that no sail loft has the hardware to create the structures, they are all gerared up for stitched construction only and to tool up for production of a bladderless airframe requires a huge investment in new manufacturing gear and a wholsale switch in manufacturing process. Pretty much the same sort of jump as going from mechanical counting machines to integrated silicon ship powered computers. it's a huge step.

The materials are developed and tested but the means of consistant manufacture is still a way off, and that has been the hold up.

Add to this a huge switch in rider requirements from being happy with seperate inflation systems, to a requirement for 'single point inflation, ez-pump, one pump' set ups and it's all back to the drawing board once again as Peter tried to integrate these into the bladderless concept.

So the 'air-spars' exist, samples have been made and tested, but we never geared up for full scale production, other aspects of development overtook the desire to make a bladderless kite and it got moved onto the back burner.

Will it ever come back to the top of the to-do list, who knows? i'd love to see it hit the beaches, but that will only happen if they can be made for the right price and at the minute that's looking like a long shot...

Rockstar
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Rockstar » Mon Nov 12, 2007 8:19 pm

The idea seems feasable ,even though it is impractical at the moment.

Inflatable boats don't have bladders,or blow up beds.

Footballs have bladders,but not basket balls etc. ??

One day..........

eastcoastkite
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Gilgo NY/ Jockeys ridge OBX
Style: waves, freestyle, freeride
Brand Affiliation: Eclipse Kiteboarding www.eclipsekites.com

Postby eastcoastkite » Mon Nov 12, 2007 10:16 pm

A bladder-less kite is feasible and very possible with a few fabrics and production methods I know of. The idea is to reduce weight, basketballs and blow up bed materials are WAY to heavy. :lol:

SQ is correct not possible with the current factories. I dont think the cuban fiber is the answer to bladder-less kites for example what if you have a blow out?? A stitched repair will not work in this case, you would need to sew up the kite and install a bladder, unless you make some special type of patch...

The question is, will the kites performance be worth the investment to start production. It will happen sooner or latter, but my guess is later.

Ozone Kites AUS
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Lennox Head, NSW, Australia
Favorite Beaches: There is a reason I live in Lennox Head.
Style: Old Coot. strapped surfboard
Gear: Ozone 6/8/10/12 Reo V5, 11/14 Enduro v2, Zephyr V5, Edge V9 10M, Alpha V1 8/10M, Hyperlink V1 9/12m, Chrono V3 13M UL Axis Patrol 1.48, Firewire Vanguard 5'2" and Evo 5'1" and Delta Designs ReVamp 5'9" Ride engine carbon elite, rope slider.
Brand Affiliation: Ozone, AxisBoarding

Postby Ozone Kites AUS » Mon Nov 12, 2007 10:39 pm

Nice save Simon :lol:

@ Eastcoastkite - Much, much later IMO!

Cya and

Goodwinds

steve

Return to “Kitesurfing”