Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Kiting with back injuries? How bad is your back?

Forum for kitesurfers
cdakiter
Medium Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Kiting with back injuries? How bad is your back?

Postby cdakiter » Wed Nov 14, 2007 1:30 am

I've been experiencing some numbness in my fingers, and muscle spasms in my legs after a very mild crash while kiting. Doctor says I've got a compressed disk and some sclerosis in the lumbar area, possibly causing the muscle and nerve issues.
I've taken a couple months off from kiting, and feel much better, but I have to say I have a bit of hesitation about kiting again.(not to mention the look on my doc's face when I mention kiting again) While it was and is a big part of my life, so is just walking around comfortably.
I guess I'm just looking for words of experience on the matter. I know there's alot of us with bad backs, but where do you draw the line on taking care of your body's future while living now?
So how bad is YOUR back, and is your kiting future bright????
Scott

mv
Very Frequent Poster

Postby mv » Wed Nov 14, 2007 1:42 am

I look at it this way.

You only live once and you never know when you are going to go. I do not want to go out knowing I could have got one more session on the water.

I also have back problems by the way. I have been kiting despite the pain and will most likely continue to do so. I figure there are enough other things in life that can hurt me or kill me so why worry about it. My back injury is a bad disk that is pushing on my never and causing pain in my leg and lower back.

panic
Medium Poster

Postby panic » Wed Nov 14, 2007 1:45 am

I have back problems, and continue to kite as much as possible. Luckily, my chiropractor is a kiter, too!

What really gets my back when kiting is landing hard and flat. The occasional rogue chop will get me sometimes if I'm riding with my front knee locked, so I don't do that anymore, period.

Also, if you think you're coming down too fast, always kick off your board before landing.

Some things you might want to consider:

Switch from a waist harness to a seat harness. My back always hurts less when I wear my seat harness (that being said, I usually wear a waist harness because I like it better!)

Some boards land softer than others. I realize you're not about to go out and buy a new board, but the next time you are in the market, look for a board geared towards wakestyle riding. If you're riding it with footstraps, it will feel heavy and weird, BUT it will land flat much softer.

mv
Very Frequent Poster

Postby mv » Wed Nov 14, 2007 1:58 am

I just thought of a good example of this.

I ran a marathon a couple of years ago on a small island. To get there I had to take a 3 hour ferry ride. On the ferry I met a 73 year old Italian guy who was also going to run the marathon. When I wathced this guy walk around I would never have guessed he would be able to finish a marathon. He walked really slow and looked like he was in pain. On the day of the marathon he passed me about 1/4 of the way through the run and I never could not catch him. He ended un finishing a full 1 1/2 hours ahead of me. I was about 32 at the time. The reason he was able to do this is because he has learned to live with the pain. Talk to anyone in there advanced years and you will probably find out there are a lot of their body parts that hurt and have hurt for a long time but they just keep on trucking.

I was watching a story about ultra marathon runners, 100 km types, and the reported mentioned that most ultra marathon runners are over the age of 50. The reason why is that they know how to deal with the pain better than younger runners.

Basically as we get older we break down. That is a fact of life. Today it is your knee and the next day it is your back. I know a lot of people that use any small pain as en excuse to do nothing and just sit around while other just work thtough it. Obiously there are serious conditions that need attention and a doctor should always be consulted but eventually we all have to deal with the pain in some way.

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Wed Nov 14, 2007 2:21 am

I also have a bad back. I have to ride a seat harness. Looks like shit, but at least I can go out. Pain in my back is a daily pain...waking up at night because laying in a wrong position, standing for a while etc. Doesn't get better. My dad had a big operation, still doesn't get better...he is on pain killers, daily...cannot sit for a long time, so no flying possible for him.

Since I know the future of my back, I try to get as much kiting as possible NOW, therefore I decided to spend the German winter time in Brazil...since my back will not get better...I can stay in Germany when I cannot move anymore...and guess what: less pain in Brazil, since 30°C air and water do their job as well!

If you go out today, it might be your last session...but at least you had today...

Good luck! :thumb:

cdakiter
Medium Poster

Postby cdakiter » Wed Nov 14, 2007 2:31 am

Allright, how did you know my knee was already bad? Damn!
I appreciate these points of view, and you KNOW I'm bound to be on the water and snow again soon, I'm just a bit nervous, that's all.
I had been using a seat harness, but may be going back to a waist as it seems the top of my seat harness creates a pivot point when I lean backwards,(crashing) the waist just lays differently. Probably use a bit of both, actually.
Thanks for the "go get um's," It's just what I needed to hear!
Scott

PiaKite
Frequent Poster

Postby PiaKite » Wed Nov 14, 2007 3:55 am

I'm here to tell all of you younger guys that there is hope for you, if you are able to deal with some discomfort, i.e. learn to raise your threshold of pain.

I just turned 69 in October and have had the dubious pleasure of having 10 different surgeries (mostly sports related surgeries - torn knee cartilage, severed achilles tendon, back surgery, 2 sports hernias, etc.). In 1973, I had a lamenectomy on my L-5 (fifth lumbar vertebrae). Before the surgery, I could barely walk 10 feet. After the lamenectomy I remained active - played baseball, racquetball, windsurfed, and now kiteboard. Would I recommend back surgery? No, only as a last resort. The first thing I would recommend is working with a REALLY GOOD physical therapist who should be able to give you some excercises to strengthen not only your back muscles, but also your core/abs.

Now I'm finding out that I have lost 2 inches in height over the last 10 years, so I know the discs in my spine are definitely shrinking, but the GOOD news is that this shrinkage will stop, or maybe already has stopped. So my back hurts all the time (even at rest), BUT, I'm gonna keep kiting, jumping, rolling, etc. until a shark gets me. Funny thing, I switched from a seat harness to a waist harness and the waist harness seems to be easier on my back.

My advice - don't discount your doctors orders, but also don't baby yourself. Learn to live with the discomfort and keep working to get better at your sport - whatever it is. An active life is the key to staying young!

Kaito
Frequent Poster
Style: Surf, freeride & freeslide
Gear: Kites: Powered
Boards: Surf & homegrown
strapless kite surfboards

Postby Kaito » Wed Nov 14, 2007 5:48 am

Enough of us with the bad backs around here? :lol:
I'm in there too, with a bad disc in my lower-back for years now...but I usually don't even pay any attention to it!

In fact, I feel less pain when I can ride consistently & keep it conditioned.
If I go for a couple of weeks of not riding, it feels worse..

Accept, adapt, and keep on going! :thumb:
K.

kitermike
Rare Poster

Postby kitermike » Wed Nov 14, 2007 8:46 am

I've had lower back problems for the past 20 years. When I started kiting 1 1/2 years ago I figured my back would never take the stress. Interestingly, since I started, my back has gotten much better. Might be because it is good core excercise (especially jumping - kiting gave me back my six-pack :lol: ). I wear a waist harness - which is kind of like a big back brace. I do back exercises every morning, which helps, too. My back still stiffens up if i stand for any length of time, but i can kite a 3-4 hour session with no problem.

kitesurfwarehouse
Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: Blade , Griffin, 997 , Bang, Mystic , Skywalker

Postby kitesurfwarehouse » Wed Nov 14, 2007 3:18 pm

I didn;t read all the posts but i have been to a few doctors any physios ove rthe years. here is what i have found to help me most (apart form the physio's)

Back Balls - Great thing for stretching areas and correction sitting position. The have a webiste and basedin australia.

MBT trainers - They keep your posture riget and keep the strain off our lower back when walking . I noticed a difference when i first wore them. I swear by them now.

Mattress- I use a sprung mattress , with about 8cm of memory foam on top. I again notice a big difference every time i sleep on a differnent bed.

Return to “Kitesurfing”