Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Kiting with back injuries? How bad is your back?

Forum for kitesurfers
iriejohn
Very Frequent Poster
Weight: 80kg, 1.78m
Local Beach: West & East Wittering (UK South Coast)
Style: Make it up as I go along
Gear: Bars, Kites
Twintips, Directional
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Kiting with back injuries? How bad is your back?

Postby iriejohn » Mon Jun 14, 2021 3:28 pm

matth wrote:
Mon Jun 14, 2021 1:16 pm
iriejohn wrote:
Mon Jun 14, 2021 11:35 am
OzBungy wrote:
Mon Jun 14, 2021 2:19 am
Similar to an earlier poster, I found that seat harnesses aggravated my chronic lower back problems. All that torsion from the harness locked onto my hips was a bad thing.

I switched to a waist harness, and now a hard shell waist harness. The constant flexing and twisting has worked as perfect physiotherapy for my back and I have not had a significant problem in years.
Same for me. After decades of using seat harnesses and trying waist harnesses that wouldn't work for me, I tried a Mystic Majestic X hardshell waist harness. No more sore back when kiting, exactly the opposite of what I had been expecting.

viewtopic.php?t=2408437
I think maybe like shoes it's good to mix it up...Even the best orthopedic shoes will become uncomfortable if you wear them every day. You need to mix up the pressure points.
If you had read the linked thread I doubt you would have made, how shall I put it, such a half baked comment.

madworld
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Never never land
Style: Cruising
Gear: Rich peoples throw aways.

Postby madworld » Mon Jun 14, 2021 6:53 pm

Listen to your body. :D

sflinux
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2002
Gear: Joe Blair, L41, Meyerhoffer, Rusty, Tom Wegener, & Cloud IX

Postby sflinux » Tue Jun 15, 2021 3:24 pm

I had a couple of falls (non-kiting) which led to lower back pain and severe sciatica with numbness in my pinky toe. I had leg weakness in my dominant leg. Jump rope was helpful to train the nerve to fire again and build up strength. Riding skateboards or bikes is also good for building leg strength. It was a year-long recovery.
Numbness is irritation of the nerve, where the location of the numbness may hint where the path of the nerve is damaged/irritated in/to the spine.
I've experienced finger numbness. Be aware of carpal tunnel and educate yourself on proper movement. The nerves in your fingers go through the wrist, elbow, shoulder, neck. Improper movement/posture in any of these areas can lead to symptoms.
Things that helped me were:
https://www.amazon.com/Back-Mechanic-St ... 65&sr=8-1
#This book teaches movement tests where the results will guide you to movements you should avoid. My Dr. referred me to physical therapy which made my numbness worse, so I listened to my body and stopped going to a physical therapist.
https://www.amazon.com/Healing-Back-Pai ... 598&sr=8-2
#After getting checked out and getting a diagnosis, this book teaches you how to deal with the pain. Before this book I was maxed out on painkillers and miserable. After this book, I was off painkillers and the pain progressively got better. Stay mobile as motion is lotion.
https://www.amazon.com/True-Form-Founda ... 700&sr=8-4
Foundation training teaches you how to use your core muscles throughout the day to protect your back. I used to get lower back pain while kiting, but now I use my core muscles properly.

The other thing that has helped me is SUP. It tones up your core (shoulders, abs, glutes, legs). After taking up SUP my hips don't feel as stiff. Perfect for windless days.

The path I have taken with kitesurfing is smaller kites, more efficient boards. I find that when I am on a kite that is too big for the conditions, I can start feeling stress in my back.

I stretch and try to avoid movements that put me out of alignment (hips). I am lucky to have found an amazing chiropractor.

I am now of the opinion that strong legs are good for the back. It has been my new year's resolution to improve my leg work.

kct
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2039
Local Beach: Long Beach
Gear: Switchblade

Postby kct » Tue Jun 15, 2021 6:02 pm

Frickin kite pumps inflating on the down AND up motion have pinged my back more than once

iriejohn
Very Frequent Poster
Weight: 80kg, 1.78m
Local Beach: West & East Wittering (UK South Coast)
Style: Make it up as I go along
Gear: Bars, Kites
Twintips, Directional

Postby iriejohn » Tue Jun 15, 2021 9:08 pm

kct wrote:
Tue Jun 15, 2021 6:02 pm
Frickin kite pumps inflating on the down AND up motion have pinged my back more than once
You should pump with a static back and by moving only your arms and legs. Just saying.

Edit: corrected.
Last edited by iriejohn on Wed Jun 16, 2021 9:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

jumptheshark
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Shhhhh
Favorite Beaches: Nude
Gear: The good stuff

Postby jumptheshark » Tue Jun 15, 2021 10:33 pm

iriejohn wrote:
Tue Jun 15, 2021 9:08 pm
kct wrote:
Tue Jun 15, 2021 6:02 pm
You should pump with a static back and by moving only your arms. Just saying.
You mean only moving your legs and arms. All about the hip hinge.
These users thanked the author jumptheshark for the post:
iriejohn (Wed Jun 16, 2021 9:15 am)
Rating: 3.03%

petato2
Medium Poster
Local Beach: la manga
Favorite Beaches: la manga
Style: freeride
Gear: airush, evo,
Has thanked: 0

Postby petato2 » Tue Jun 22, 2021 8:45 pm

Swiming pool.

It may not work for you, who knows, but it does for me.

I am 46 and suffer from back pain since 20s. I do kitesurf (use to windsurf before), ride motorbikes, and used to play golf. Also working at an office which does not help. All bad for the back.

I swimm 3 to 4 times per week, and strecht well after each session.

If I swimm by back is great. But if I miss 2-3 sessions in a row I start suffering back pain.

Besides having a good swimming practise may be of help at the sea, it keeps you in good shape, is good for your heart, and not bad for your joints.

That is my experience, I do recomend swimming unless your doctor says you should not do ir.
hope it helps.
Saludos

Return to “Kitesurfing”