TheCuban
Medium Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Deputies recover Illinois kitesurfer's body

Postby TheCuban » Tue Nov 20, 2007 9:38 pm

Deputies recover Illinois kitesurfer's body from Wisconsin lake

JEFFERSON, Wis. (AP) An Illinois man was found dead Tuesday after kitesurfing on Lake Koshkonong.

Deputies found the body of Jeffrey S. Meissner, 40, of Huntley, Ill., early Tuesday morning. He had been reported missing about 8 p.m. Monday by someone who said he might be kitesurfing on the lake, according to a news release from the Jefferson County Sheriff's Office.

Deputies found Meissner's car parked on the lake's north shore and a sail and surfboard on the southeast side of the lake. Rock County deputies and Milton firefighters, who were helping in the search, found Meissner's body about 2 a.m.

The Jefferson County coroner pronounced Meissner dead at the scene. An autopsy will be done to determine how he died.

http://wcco.com/wisconsinwire/22.0.html ... gFatal.xml

Greg7
Medium Poster

Postby Greg7 » Tue Nov 20, 2007 9:47 pm

Condolences to family and friends.

Rick is right, this is becoming a nasty month.

RickI
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: SE Florida
Gear: Cabrinha
Brand Affiliation: Cabrinha

Postby RickI » Tue Nov 20, 2007 10:32 pm

My condolences to family and friends of the lost kiter.

November has been a rough month for kiteboarding losses for many years, some years more than others. We're up to three in about a week with a third of the month remaining. The causes may have been widely varying from current limited information. I would still be extra cautious using good technique, appropriate gear, etc. particularly in temperate areas and with inbound powerful frontal systems.

FKA, Inc.

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi

A little additional information appears below:

A missing kite surfer from Illinois was found dead on the southeast side of Lake Koshkonong early today.

Jeffrey S. Meissner, 40, of Huntley, Ill., was pronounced dead at the scene by Jefferson County Coroner Pat Theder.

The Rock County Sheriff’s Department described the death as a drowning, but an autopsy is planned.

Authorities received a call at 8:12 p.m. Monday reporting Meissner missing.

Using coordinates provided by the victim’s cell phone provider, the Jefferson County Sheriff’s Department found the victim’s vehicle about 30 minutes later. Meissner’s green Saturn was parked near W8717 White Crow Road, east of Caracajou Road, on the north central part of Lake Koshkonong.

A witness reported that he last saw the kite surfer on the lake off Carcajou Point about 4:30 p.m., according to the Rock County Sheriff’s Department.

The Lake Mills, Fort Atkinson and Milton fire departments responded with boats, equipment and search teams. The Jefferson County and Rock County boat patrols were also activated.

At 11:15 p.m., teams using thermal imaging devices and spotlights began searching the lake. At 1:25 a.m., they found the sail and board on the southeast side of the lake.

Meissner’s body was found an estimated 30 minutes later in the water near Koshkonong Mounds Golf Course.

http://gazettextra.com/news/2007/nov/20 ... oshkonong/

Rorke
Frequent Poster

Postby Rorke » Tue Nov 20, 2007 11:32 pm

This is so sad.

Although I didn’t know Jeff, it was evident he had spirit. It is awful to hear such sad news about someone who you can imagine was so full of life.

From his posts on ChicagoKitesurfing.com, he sounded stoked to always make the most of his day. He also seemed just as stoked to share this with us on the forum.

Hopefully we will be able to learn from this tragedy; whether it be kiting related or simply related to appreciating the gift of life.

RIP

Klaus (c:E
Very Frequent Poster
Style: lousy
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Klaus (c:E » Tue Nov 20, 2007 11:53 pm

Hai,

my condolence for the friends and relatives of Jefferson.

Most of the headlines and news articles read like a windsurfing accident rather than a kitesurfing accident:
Body Of Windsurfer Recovered
Body Of Windsurfer Recovered
Qualified witness are much appreciated.

Sea You: Klaus (c:E

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Wed Nov 21, 2007 2:46 am

my condolences as well.

I wonder how that happened? Why was he alone on the water?
Please learn from this accident...never go alone! Even if you think you will miss a great day!

Greg7
Medium Poster

Postby Greg7 » Wed Nov 21, 2007 3:57 am

Toby wrote: Why was he alone on the water?
Please learn from this accident...never go alone! Even if you think you will miss a great day!
I will be alone on the water the majority of the time because people work during the weekday and I can kite on the flats right out my back door, and the nearest beach is 15 miles away.

RickI
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: SE Florida
Gear: Cabrinha
Brand Affiliation: Cabrinha

Postby RickI » Wed Nov 21, 2007 4:01 am

Some weather information and speculation about what may have happened in this sad accident appear in the local forum, Chicago Kiteboarding. The lost kiter had been posting updates about his experience recently with mounting excitement with the sport, tragic.

More at: http://www.chicagokitesurfing.com/kiteb ... php?t=5999

Rorke
Frequent Poster

Postby Rorke » Wed Nov 21, 2007 4:12 am

Thanks for the contribution, Greg7.
Toby may have meant "'don't go out alone' - in marginal conditions where there is a substantially increased opportunity for something bad to happen."
I'll put on my thinking cap and see what differences there are between your midafternoon, Florida Keys, flats, solo sessions and a sunset, afterwork, mid November, 7-10 ft deep, Wisconsin lake session.
Let me noodle on this one, idiot! :evil:

Greg7
Medium Poster

Postby Greg7 » Wed Nov 21, 2007 4:28 am

Rorke wrote:Thanks for the contribution, Greg7.
Toby may have meant "'don't go out alone' - in marginal conditions where there is a substantially increased opportunity for something bad to happen."
I'll put on my thinking cap and see what differences there are between your midafternoon, Florida Keys, flats, solo sessions and a sunset, afterwork, mid November, 7-10 ft deep, Wisconsin lake session.
Let me noodle on this one, idiot! :evil:
At the time of my post nothing was mentioned about the water temp factor. I was not trying to be a pompous ass, I am not a veteran braggart but a beginning kiter.

If you read my post carefully, I said I "will" be kiting, not I "am" kiting.

My statement was more to get comments about kiting alone, so thanks for clearing everything up, now I know my only concern is water temp.

Regarding your interpretation of Toby's intentions, I have read several times, not in reference to cold water outings, that it is best not to kite alone. So maybe you should let Toby define what he meant.

Regarding your 7-10 ft deep comment, the flats aren't always 18 inches deep. A large portion is much deeper, the flats are shallow spots amongst deeper water areas...

Finally, the reports stated he was last seen at 4:30, which is not sunset, unless you live in Alaska...

Return to “Kitesurfing”