Unhooked wave riding

Forum for kitesurfers
Walshy
Rare Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby Walshy » Wed Dec 12, 2007 11:21 am

How's the claim by SWK - "The great thing about learning to ride switch is that you can still ride backside if you want. You already have that skill in the bag."

You are off you head buddy - have you read your noncense, first you claim backside riding can't be done properly and now your saying if you learn switch you already have it in the bag - your a jerk! Since your a photog and obviously know it all and have shot it all, post a sequence of one of your groupie switch riders nailing a proper turn on there backhand - thats right don't bother cause you ain't got shit, except a mouth full of it.

BTW - I 100% agree with Assmaster (what ever the hell that means)! He smokes you in every reply to your lamb ass shit! Who cares, it's all good and who the hell is to say what's right or wrong at this stage of the sport, when different things suit different people and conditions.

I might just get back on my twintip, less shit to deal with on that side of the sport.

QUOTE: you can do great airs backside with a kite. Guilly is the obvious example. Backside riding with kites is getting better. It's just that the frontside riding is staying a step ahead.

The great thing about learning to ride switch is that you can still ride backside if you want. You already have that skill in the bag. You can ride strapless and switch on the wave sort of like the skating example you give. The riders who never master switching stance are the ones who are going to be limited.

Someone who is really good switching could have two extra options. switch and backside switch.

In-a-Tube
Rare Poster

Postby In-a-Tube » Wed Dec 12, 2007 11:36 am

Backside kiters ride so ugly with their fat bums sticking up like they are begging for analingus.
haha

assmaster
Very Frequent Poster

Postby assmaster » Wed Dec 12, 2007 11:48 am

begging for cunilingus? who knows, maybe, maybe not, but what i do know is at least they are not self inducing an enama everytime they do a strapped in wanna be air on their super switch frontside.

suRff
Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: my lifestyle

Postby suRff » Wed Dec 12, 2007 11:55 am

and here i was thinking this forum had become more civil compared to years past.

leb304
Rare Poster

Postby leb304 » Wed Dec 12, 2007 4:04 pm

I rarely post on this forum as I don't get time to read it at work, but in a quick flick this post really caught my eye...

I agree with the sentiment of what some of you guys are saying regarding backside, but I really can't understand where the hell some of you guys are coming from.

I live on the South coast of the UK and all our waveriding spots, (including, before you say there aren't any, a nice mixture of reef and beach breaks) are starboard tack which is frontside for me. I ride that 90% of the time when I wave ride. I occasionally make a venture to devon or cornwalls north coast and in the summer I was at a nice little spot in Portugal, all of these places are port tack, and hence backside, or switch for me.

After riding frontside in my local spots for 2 years when I travel to other spots, if some of you guys are to be believed, then I should learn to ride switch rather than ride backside. When should I do that? because obviously I might offend more of you by having a shit wave switch than a decent enough backside wave?

I honestly think some people really miss the point of wave kiting and take themselves far too seriously, its fun....

If backside works for you then enjoy it, if you think backside riders are dangerous because when you follow them in they turn out into your lines... don't follow them in. If you wanna emulate surfing, go surf. I think we're endanger of alienating each other over minor differences in style. Me personally I love riding a ckite unhooked for the speed and feel of the kite and strapped on the board just to get some nice aerials... if that ain't your cup of tea... don't fkin drink it.

Rant over

Luke

suRff
Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: my lifestyle

Postby suRff » Wed Dec 12, 2007 5:38 pm

leb304 wrote: I honestly think some people really miss the point of wave kiting and take themselves far too seriously, its fun....

Luke
Luke,, phuk man if we all had attitudes like that no one would be posting anymore. :wink:

i get your point,, surfing for most of us is all about the fun. period.

i do think there is a legitimate discussion to be had about style at the top end of our sport . great surfing, for better or for worse is meant to look good/rad/smooth etc. its about getting into the critical section of the wave and connecting turns and doing moves. the best surfers in the world do their moves with a special style. i can feel it when im in a flow and my style comes together for a session or a wave. it feels good (not comparing myself with the best.. im average!). surfing with a kite is all new. we are very early days. some of the stuff you see on current commercial 'kite surf' dvds or youtube vids is pretty ugly. is that the end of the world..? no. do these videos represent all aspects of our sport...? hell no. but me thinks it is worth a (continuous) discussion to figure out what works and what does not. do we need to take sides and draw lines and get a all aggro? not really my style these days.. but that is the nature of the beast for some. surf passion is a very good thing in my book.

also,, it's winter here and i need something to help get me through!..

surfingwithkites
Very Frequent Poster

Postby surfingwithkites » Wed Dec 12, 2007 6:07 pm

Look it's not my fault that backside kiting is hard to do well and no one is really pulling it off. I'm just stating the obvious you can cry about it all you want but until someone makes it work it will continue to be noticed.

Riding switch gives you a whole new set of skills to play with. It's fun to learn all over again. Yeah none of the switch guys ride backside now but if kites get better and make backside riding feel, look, and perform like backside surfing they would be able to adapt to it on both tacks in a very short time and once again be way ahead of the pack.

Ride however you like. I continue to play with backside riding as well as switching. It's all fun but some things work better than others in my ever so humble opinion. I just happen to notice and don't care if it upsets people to point out the obvious.

powerkiteaddict
Very Frequent Poster

Postby powerkiteaddict » Thu Dec 13, 2007 1:20 pm

surfingwithkites wrote:Look it's not my fault that backside kiting is hard to do well and no one is really pulling it off. I'm just stating the obvious you can cry about it all you want but until someone makes it work it will continue to be noticed.

Riding switch gives you a whole new set of skills to play with. It's fun to learn all over again. Yeah none of the switch guys ride backside now but if kites get better and make backside riding feel, look, and perform like backside surfing they would be able to adapt to it on both tacks in a very short time and once again be way ahead of the pack.

Ride however you like. I continue to play with backside riding as well as switching. It's all fun but some things work better than others in my ever so humble opinion. I just happen to notice and don't care if it upsets people to point out the obvious.
Like I said in another post-you're a goose.

You keep comparing kiteSURFING to surfing and dogging kiteSURFING and talking up surfing-mate NO surfers-at least none of the CT or QS surfers-surf forehand (frontside) on each wave-they surf their stance-forehand at Jeffreys backside at Pipe for say Andy or Mick or Slater-forehand at Cloudbreak backhand at the Superbank for CJ or Bobby or Mick Campbell etc. etc.

This backhand/forehand comparison is just a fucking JOKE-get over it-just kite and have a blast and enjoy-it's fucking great fun-get off the computer-go do it-ENJOY!

PeterP
Medium Poster
Gear: Airush
Brand Affiliation: Sales Manager Airush Kiteboarding

Postby PeterP » Thu Dec 13, 2007 3:23 pm

Surfers are not restricted by a kite - that's all SWK is saying.

Being attached to a kite and having to control it with one or two hands limits your body movements, more so when riding backhand than forehand, it's that simple. Windsurfers are restricted by their rig and they also ride switch. Nobody is saying a surfer should ride switch, why should he, he is not restricted

That a lot of riders are choosing to ride backhand and work around the limitations is great, cause that way at least the approach is well tested.

I agree with a previous poster who found Ben Wilsons forehand more explosive than his backhand, for Guilly it's perhaps the opposite. Guilly has a very interesting backhand approach, it's impressive what he does, but I don't find it appealing. And here in CT alot of riders don't find my switch approach that sexy either and so it goes, but thats not going to stop me from having an opinion about it.

powerkiteaddict
Very Frequent Poster

Postby powerkiteaddict » Thu Dec 13, 2007 11:53 pm

PeterP wrote:Surfers are not restricted by a kite - that's all SWK is saying.

Being attached to a kite and having to control it with one or two hands limits your body movements, more so when riding backhand than forehand, it's that simple. Windsurfers are restricted by their rig and they also ride switch. Nobody is saying a surfer should ride switch, why should he, he is not restricted

That a lot of riders are choosing to ride backhand and work around the limitations is great, cause that way at least the approach is well tested.

I agree with a previous poster who found Ben Wilsons forehand more explosive than his backhand, for Guilly it's perhaps the opposite. Guilly has a very interesting backhand approach, it's impressive what he does, but I don't find it appealing. And here in CT alot of riders don't find my switch approach that sexy either and so it goes, but thats not going to stop me from having an opinion about it.
I'm just fed up with his divisive pompous pontificating-I'm a surfer (like I've said before an ex pro surfer) and I'm NOT trying to ride the wave like a surfer when kiteSURFING, just as when I surf I'm not trying to surf the wave the same as I kite-backhand v forehand bullshit is just a diversion-it's all about having a blast-whatever stokes you, who gives a f*** whether it's forehand or backhand-like I said surfing NEVER got caught up with this crap-it's all about the difference in approach not the difference in stance-AND I don't think kiteSURFING a wave backhand is at ALL restrictive-maybe for those that weren't surfers before hand-I smack the lip equally well either way-not an issue.

I wouldn't be surprised if surfingwithkites is a bloody hopeless armchair critic of a surfer/kiteSURFER-sounds like he's a board designer/shaper/repairer.........................

Return to “Kitesurfing”