forum for kitesurfers
MonkeyAir
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 0
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby MonkeyAir » Sat Dec 29, 2007 2:10 am

We were teaching a great lady, Ruth was her name and she arived to her lesson in a self resored flat bed model t truck. No kidding, she was a paragliding pilot and lived at the Santa Monica Airport in a converted hangar. Her deceased husband had set all kinds of aircraft records back in the early aviation days. She had droped out of lessons do to a little car problem she had to repair herself and an exciting paragliding schedule dragging her all over but vowed to return to get more lessons. She was 80 years young. When she showed up at her lesson "she is wearing a bloody Marry Poppins dress Mate" is what my teaching partner Aaron Jarmon said over the pay phone.. "What should I do? She must be a hundred years old and the truck she is driving, you would not bloody believe" This was his intial evaluation from a bit of a distance.. He was waiting for her to put on her wetsuit in the restrooms next to the phone booth and suddenly spluttered out "Good God ! She is built like freaking Wonder Woman in that wetstuit... No worries mate, she is hard as a rock. WOW!! I drove over to check it out and laughed my ass off. Ruth was fun, in great shape, mentally and physically and easily up for the challenge of learning to kitesurf.. We probably have more over 80 year young kiters out there than you would imagine as they look to be sixty or younger... Local hero is Don Wildman 80?? (used to own Bali Health spas) who is Laird's sidekick and routinely kicks everyones arse up the hill while we are mountainbiking.. Mind over and daily training dicipline is where it is at..Cut the booze/spleef(lungs don't like suit) and be a veggie with daily cardio and weght bearing training. Excuses and excess just puts you back in the carbon cycle early. Thanks for the inspiration all you 80 year youngsters!!

patrickr1
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2017
Local Beach: belizd
Favorite Beaches: nabq
Style: basic
Gear: cabrhina
Has thanked: 0

Re: Who are the oldest female kite surfer?

Postby patrickr1 » Sat Mar 09, 2019 5:06 am

I am 66 and my wife is 64 in 2 weeks. We learned to kiteboard over the last 2 years by intermittently going to different places around the world. We are currently in Belize for 4 months then will go to South Padre Island in September and October. We then plan to go to Maui and French Polynesia in November. Belize again next year. We are hoping for 5 more good years of kiting.

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Sat Mar 09, 2019 5:19 am

Only 5? It will be more 👍🏻

flipper231
Frequent Poster

Postby flipper231 » Sat Mar 09, 2019 2:29 pm

@Patrick...i know a few people, men and women, well in their 70’s

Flyboy
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000

Postby Flyboy » Sat Mar 09, 2019 6:40 pm

Is the key going to be foiling? A bitch to get started, but after that really low impact/stress on the body (in moderate conditions).

JakeFarley
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Local Beach: Florida Left Coast, USA
Favorite Beaches: Any that are not crowded.
Style: Old fart style
Gear: Kites: Flysurfer Speed5 21m, Cabrinha 16m Xbow, 11m Xbow, Best 14m HP Nemesis, 9m Yarga C Hybrid
Boards: Crazyfly 135 x 46 Pro, Cabrinha Spoiler 140, 6' custom surfboard, 122 x 46 custom twintip, custom 140 x 50 strapless twintip/skim

Postby JakeFarley » Sun Mar 10, 2019 12:16 am

About a month ago I kited with a lady who just turned 72. And a good friend that I kite with is 80.

Return to “Kitesurfing”