Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

quad vs thruster kitesurfboards

Forum for kitesurfers
ptraykovski
Very Frequent Poster
Has thanked: 0

quad vs thruster kitesurfboards

Postby ptraykovski » Thu Dec 27, 2007 9:45 pm

So there seems to be a lot of knowledge on surfboard design on this group these days and in production boards quads seem to be making more and more appearances (e.g naish, GK, LF etc)

What is the difference in riding feel between a quad and a thruster. Not talking about super wide light air fish quads but "normal ~18 wide 5'8" to 6'2" boards.

I know it is hard to generalize but are quads better for small waves/tight turns?

surfingwithkites
Very Frequent Poster
Been thanked: 0

Postby surfingwithkites » Fri Dec 28, 2007 3:45 am

It is hard to generalize. Some of the quad kiteboards, Cabrinha for example, are based off of tow board style boards which means flatter tail rockers and more parallel toe in on fins. Generally this suits more powered up, in the straps, longer turn, back strap further up, or bigger wave riding. Some quads are more small wave designs and looser. Neither is worse or better, just different combinations of riding characteristics. You can't generalize based on number of fins unless you hold other variables constant. I can make a quad super loose for small waves or super stiff with tons of drive for big waves or whatever in between. Same goes for thrusters. Don't get obsessed with fin set ups. Just get a board and go out and ride and try as many boards as possible.

No one board is best for every rider or every style but some have more range and universal appeal than others.

Nico
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: private kitebeach on my doorstep,
Le Morne.
Style: wave
Gear: Drifter kites, wave boards
Brand Affiliation: Cabrinha, naish

Postby Nico » Fri Dec 28, 2007 4:53 am

Hi .
i have found quads to give a more snappy turn than the thruster. This is particularly noticeable when speed has been drained through a long bottom turn for exempole.
The thruster seems to have a more "carve" feel giving the impression of more drive on bigger faces.
Rocker and scoop of the board will have a lot of influence on this too, but fins setup does modify the feel of the board in MO.
Nico

tautologies
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby tautologies » Fri Dec 28, 2007 11:38 am

...just to emphsize SWK's point. Some shapers build in a thruster imitation to slow down the board (angeling the fins). Look at the boards and give it a go if you can.

I have most experience with the Naish 5'4'' Quad, and it is really a fast and driving board. It does give long drawn out turns, unless you give an extra push...if you do it will certainly be pretty snappy. Can hold SO MUCH POWER

It does generally speaking have more hold in the water than a thruster for riding, but for wave riding, I'd say many are desinged as a litle faster riding, than the thrusters (the center fins create some extra drag). As far as I've read quads is used more in surfing now when the need for speed increases (to get air)....
Last edited by tautologies on Fri Dec 28, 2007 12:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BullsShit.com
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Moks', Kailua, Town
Favorite Beaches: Town
Style: old school
Gear: Eclipse Thruster 8, 12. Nano 6
Underground 128 /39 (custom) 07(08)
Mystic harness, Blue Planet shorts, Off Da Lip rash guard
Victoria Secret under wear
Brand Affiliation: being a good friend

Postby BullsShit.com » Fri Dec 28, 2007 11:59 am

If you have the choice or are getting a custom board, get one made with the option to switch from 4 to 3 to 2 to 1 fin(s) just to see what you like.

But all boards (usually) have the setup which works the best for that particular board.(and for what the board is made for)
Some surf style boards might just work to their optimum in big waves and not in small waves or just cruising.

Same old story: if you got the $, you have the right gear for all situations.
me, NOT!

Dwight
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Florida
Gear: Any

Re: quad vs thruster kitesurfboards

Postby Dwight » Fri Dec 28, 2007 5:59 pm

ptraykovski wrote: I know it is hard to generalize but are quads better for small waves/tight turns?
YES, at least the one I ride is anyway.

I am blown away by how much fun it is in small waves. It is a must have ride for small surf.

I'd recommend trying the 5'8 or 5'10 Stretch quad in TL2 construction mated with NSIs "2008" stick on pads with inserts. The 2008 pads rock.

I own the 5'8 Stretch. I think 5'10 would be fun too. Way different from our Amundsons, and super fun. Also super easy to ride. Good first board, although I know it wouldn't be your first.

OffDaLip
Rare Poster

Postby OffDaLip » Fri Dec 28, 2007 6:02 pm

ptraykovski,

The first couple boards in the URL below are quads developed in Hawaii specifically for waveriding. You can see it in action in the attached photos. The 5-8 has an option for thruster also. We've found the 5-8 to be able to make more turns per wave and its also able to make turns mid face. This allows for spontaniety. It can also handle large surf, double overhead or bigger. Like everyone says above, to each his own but the quad is super fun to ride and it does rip.

http://www.offdalip.com/listing.cfm?typ ... Kiteboards
Attachments
Denton-on-Quad.jpg
Denton-on-Quad.jpg (113.72 KiB) Viewed 3528 times

OffDaLip
Rare Poster

Postby OffDaLip » Fri Dec 28, 2007 6:12 pm

Top half of proof sheet cut off last message, so here are more photos. The 5-8 is similar to a Stretch but has a wing swallow tail and flatter rocker.

Jeff
Attachments
Denton-on-Quad1.jpg
Denton-on-Quad1.jpg (109.36 KiB) Viewed 3511 times

stefaans
Very Frequent Poster

Postby stefaans » Fri Dec 28, 2007 6:35 pm

Just got mine yesterday. very excited. 6'0" low rocker, carbon fiber rails. Quad or Tri.
Attachments
kw5.jpg
kw5.jpg (133.64 KiB) Viewed 3495 times

xlkiter121
Rare Poster

Postby xlkiter121 » Fri Dec 28, 2007 6:50 pm

anyone have any feedback on FCS vs futures vs the lightwave one bolt thru the top style of fin boxes? i was also wondering if anyone has had any problems with FCS boxes coming loose or giving too much fin vibration, i have never expeienced this but have heard of others

Return to “Kitesurfing”