Do bigger fins improve upwind ability?

Forum for kitesurfers
CharlestonKiter
Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby CharlestonKiter » Fri Dec 28, 2007 5:12 pm

Yeah, I tried a friends 135 Flexi not too long ago. Was soooo much easier going upwind. I was going to go get one myself until I remembered I'm broke :-?

GhostDog
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Charleston South Carolina, USA
Favorite Beaches: Station 28, Sullivan's Island South Carolina. Katama Bay and Cape Pogue, Martha's Vineyard.
Style: Freeride, FreeStyle, some wave
Gear: Ocean Rodeo Rise Venturi, 8,10, 12
Underground FLX 135 x 41
OR Mako Wide

Postby GhostDog » Fri Dec 28, 2007 6:36 pm

Mattdog wrote:Ghost,

I use the JL only above 25 knots, but now with the larger fins on my aggression board, the JL is almost redundant. It is definitely awesome turning and smooth but I can barely make it upwind if there is any current and the chop worsens the situation.

Heres a photo of me yesterday doing a fast bottom turn. There's only one Nobile fin in the water but that gives plenty of hold.
Nice pic MattDog!

Yea I feel like a JL 133 with larger fins would be redundant as well. I might even try to sell the Jimmy Lewis.
Charleston Kiter wrote:
Yeah, I tried a friends 135 Flexi not too long ago. Was soooo much easier going upwind. I was going to go get one myself until I remembered I'm broke
Hey I ride in Charleston too, you on Sullivans/IOP or folly most often? Lot of purple flexis on the water these days :)

flyakite
Medium Poster

Postby flyakite » Sat Dec 29, 2007 7:34 am

I might like your jimmy. PM me if you want to sell it. :)

ed257
Very Frequent Poster

Postby ed257 » Sat Dec 29, 2007 3:21 pm

Mattdog wrote:Ghost,

I also have an aggression 128 x 39. I recently put the huge nobile fins on it and it makes it wonderful in the waves and chop. Not once have I lost an edge

I use the JL only above 25 knots, but now with the larger fins on my aggression board, the JL is almost redundant. It is definitely awesome turning and smooth but I can barely make it upwind if there is any current and the chop worsens the situation.

Maybe I should trade the 128 for a 138 and the extra size would help upwind. Otherwise it just isn't getting used.

Heres a photo of me yesterday doing a fast bottom turn. There's only one Nobile fin in the water but that gives plenty of hold.
Matt,

Which Nobile fins did you put on your Aggression - what size. I may try that too.

Ed

Return to “Kitesurfing”