Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

self landing a bow by------

Forum for kitesurfers
Bill
Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

self landing a bow by------

Postby Bill » Sun Dec 30, 2007 1:21 pm

bringing the kite down and pulling on a front line. Many people do this? Do you have problems holding the line without it slipping thru your hands? tried this and the line kept slipping. Did not want to wind round had for obvious reasons. How do you get over this problem. Also what sort of winds can you use this technique for?

Cheers...

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Sun Dec 30, 2007 3:50 pm

wouldn't it be better using a backline?

srrc
Medium Poster
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby srrc » Sun Dec 30, 2007 4:03 pm

Bill

Assuming we are talking bows........
Take it to the edge of the window, touching the sand. Pull in the front top line while walking towards the kite (to take any tension out of the other lines).
The kite will usually settle down into the "park" position.

CAUTION
Only do this in low/medium winds, still best to get someone to catch it.
Don't let the loose line get in a position where it can wrap you if the kite takes off.
Any doubt about it, pull the safety!

WANTSOME

Postby WANTSOME » Sun Dec 30, 2007 4:10 pm

Toby wrote:wouldn't it be better using a backline?
This results in the kite spinning a few time`s befor coming to rest.. :-?

aeberl
Very Frequent Poster

Postby aeberl » Sun Dec 30, 2007 4:41 pm

I have had some serious trouble selflanding my hybrids ('06 Waroo 12m, '07 Waroo 7m & 11m, '08 Havoc 10m) when in their upper wind range. No matter what you do, there is allways a chance of it going wrong and having the kite relaunch by itself. Specially the '07 7m Waroo tends to just bounce off the ground in winds above 25 knots.
I have come to the conclusion that it is best NOT to recommend any other selflandong method than pulling your safety in the water (close to shore) and disabeling your kite before getting onto dry land.
There are so any different kite designs today, that one method will not work for all kites and safety is a BIG isssue, even more so if you are alone (or sorrounded by people who are not familiar with power kites). Don't take any chances, go for the safest way: pull your safety (with the added benefit of practicing how to use your safety system for those unforseen and unwanted emergency situations)
The downside is that you will have to pack up a wet kite, but at least you will be certain to get home in one piece!
By the way.... how many of you actually practice the use of your safety system :?:

RichKite
Medium Poster

Postby RichKite » Sun Dec 30, 2007 4:56 pm

I had airush Halo's - I would aim the kite down to the side of the window I want it to land then when it is half a span of the ground I yank the top line really hard to throw it nose first into the ground then leg it (slight loop to windward to clear lines) to grab the kite before it takes off. If it so much as flutters I release the safety while still running .... good for 90% of time.

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Sun Dec 30, 2007 7:08 pm

Nope - I dont want to do this !!!

Too dangerous in any way...

Just let the kite down with a fixed point (dog schrew or other fixed carabin), maybe a little depowered on the trim - as this is the safest and most easy way :thumb:

Throwing the nose into the ground is difficult - and can only be used in light winds...

Kindly, Peter Frank

afflatus
Very Frequent Poster

Postby afflatus » Sun Dec 30, 2007 7:47 pm

Well,

There ya go...

Yeah, no f-en way can you prompt folks to do the front line spin to park move...

NO WAY it either works or it goes instantly bad...just too risky.

I'd suggest if there's anyone around just have them catch it, it's not rocket science---however:

You must talk to them first, gage their fear if any and proceed accordingly.

The best bet is dive the kite into a wind shadow...if that's not happening and the odd stranger seemings less than able, then just touch it down at windows edge and put it on the o' crap grapple.

Yeah it's messy; it's tough on the fabric; it's not my first choice, but hey, it works...

Another thing, be sure you are fully de-powered and out of the loop before you cut the bitch loose...

Self land ? any kite? a thing to be avoided, look for that wind shadow first...

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Sun Dec 30, 2007 7:53 pm

afflatus wrote:Well,

There ya go...

Yeah, no f-en way can you prompt folks to do the front line spin to park move...

NO WAY it either works or it goes instantly bad...just too risky.

I'd suggest if there's anyone around just have them catch it, it's not rocket science---however:

You must talk to them first, gage their fear if any and proceed accordingly.

The best bet is dive the kite into a wind shadow...if that's not happening and the odd stranger seemings less than able, then just touch it down at windows edge and put it on the o' crap grapple.

Yeah it's messy; it's tough on the fabric; it's not my first choice, but hey, it works...

Another thing, be sure you are fully de-powered and out of the loop before you cut the bitch loose...

Self land ? any kite? a thing to be avoided, look for that wind shadow first...
Dont agree at all here...

I self land very very often on the "dog leash schrew" system.

And it IS in´fact one of the safest ways to launch and land yourself, at all :thumb:

Even better than "half" knowledge" bystanders :roll:

Kindly, Peter Frank

sflinux
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2002
Gear: Joe Blair, L41, Meyerhoffer, Rusty, Tom Wegener, & Cloud IX

Postby sflinux » Sun Dec 30, 2007 8:33 pm

We've had good luck using anchors to self land bow/sle's at our beach. Having an experienced person catch the kite is ideal, but is not always an option.
Just depower the kite (pull in depower strap), bring the kite low and to the edge of the window, and attach your chicken loop to the carabiner on the anchor. Walk upwind of your lines and grab the kite. Works great if the wind direction is steady. While riding, just make sure you don't drift too far (upwind/downwind) from the anchor for when it is time to come in. If you do, self land the kite in the water by crashing it and do a self rescue 2 line lengths from shore. If things go sour, ditch the kite if nobody is downwind.
Check out this thread:
phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=2343641&start=20
Last edited by sflinux on Sun Dec 30, 2007 8:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Return to “Kitesurfing”