Forum for kitesurfers
pancho
Rare Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

I want to start practicing and need some advice

Postby pancho » Fri Jan 11, 2008 2:04 am

I'd like to start doing kiteboarding but I have no idea of what kind of kite to buy or size, anything. So I'd like to get some advice about those things. Thanks

tautologies
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tautologies » Fri Jan 11, 2008 2:13 am

Hi welcome, you'll hear this a lot; Take a lesson. It cannot be stated enough times. You'll save time, gear, health and ultimately money.

This is the best advice you can take right now. Kiteboarding is not hard, but it is so easy to get in trouble if you learn on your own.

When you have taken your lesson, you can start thinking about gear (you can of course get a trainer kite before)...most new kites are pretty good. Some are better than others, and some are better for beginners than others. Make sure you get a lot of information about the different kites before you decide.

SLE kites like the Cult from Naish is a good place to start looking IMO (a good quality, high depower stable kite without any bad habits), but before you buy, take a lesson. Learn about the gear there. As a bonus you get to thrash your instructors gear instead of your own. If you decide to buy used, be very careful and don't get gear that is more than 2 years old.

be careful..have fun
A.

Greg7
Medium Poster

Re: I want to start practicing and need some advice

Postby Greg7 » Fri Jan 11, 2008 3:50 am

Take the lessons, once you are riding, then buy the gear.

No matter how much you research, you will have a different opinion of what you want by the time you get done with your lessons.

toyletbowl
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Olbrich, Governor Nelson, Tenney, Burrows and McDaniels.
Favorite Beaches: Olbrich on SW and McDaniels on a SSW.
Sheboygan when it blows hard on a NE.
Style: Waves, Twin tip and Foilboards.
Gear: Whatever is available.
Brand Affiliation: Cabrinha, Slingshot, Core, Armstrong, Axis, NP Surf, Ride engine, Mystic. www.kiteridersllc.com

Postby toyletbowl » Fri Jan 11, 2008 6:25 am

yep. lessons are pretty much mandatory and this way you don't trash your own kites. I have found though that those who buy their own gear soon after will make sure they get used and tend to progress faster just due to the desire to learn and ride.

It's super important though to understand all the variables in this sport and then figure out what gear works best. please keep off ebay unless you get 2 or 3 guys to confirm that a kite is a good purchase. $150 kites may well be a ticket to the emergency room.

a good dealer, etc will ask the right questions.

weight?
ability?
riding conditions?
what are your goals? there's different rider styles, etc and certain kites will work better depending on the above.

ask greg about ferraris and cadillacs.

good luck and welcome to the addiction.

bob
http://www.kiteridersllc.com

Windrider
Very Frequent Poster
Location: Kailua, Hawaii, currently riding EH and OR kites (2013 Razor rocks!)

Postby Windrider » Fri Jan 11, 2008 7:14 am

Think of learning to hang glide...... learning to sky dive...... learning to bungie jump.... you don't just try it....

... you need to take lessons or you are very likely to get seriously injured or injure someone else. After lessons, you will have a better idea of what equipment to buy that fits your ability.

panchito
Very Frequent Poster

Postby panchito » Fri Jan 11, 2008 8:16 am

Hey Pancho !! welcome :thumb:

First : get in contact with your local kite school and take lessons , your teacher will be the best suited to advice you which kite size board etc is better for you .

You will save lots of headaches , time and at the end money

Then whatever questions you may have you are always welcome to ask around but don´t forget to mention your weight / local spot / level . why ?

Weight : kite / board size you may need depends mostly on your weight
Local Spot: wind & water conditions are also important
Level: Some kites / boards are better suited for beginners

Just a tip : material starting year 2007 and up can be considered very good ( since most of the kites are so called 2nd generation SLE / BOW kites ) .

Saludos

Windrider
Very Frequent Poster
Location: Kailua, Hawaii, currently riding EH and OR kites (2013 Razor rocks!)

Postby Windrider » Fri Jan 11, 2008 8:30 am

Yeah... sorry... didn't mean to come off as too heavy and granny-ish.... Welcome to the sport! It is, without a doubt, one of the most fun things that I have done in life. It is an outrageous rush of outdoor excitement. And, it doesn't get old. You always find yourself looking forward to the next time you can go out.

Find a good instructor and GO FOR IT! You might be the next pro in the making.
:thumb:

pancho
Rare Poster

thank you all

Postby pancho » Fri Jan 11, 2008 10:19 pm

Thank you people for answering. I will take your advice. I already booked some lessons for next week, so I hope it to be as good as it looks. I'll post some pictures of me drinking some salt water hahaha. Take care.

Return to “Kitesurfing”