Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Are you heading to Varadero, Cuba - Kite Beach?

Forum for kitesurfers
Kanaris
Rare Poster
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Are you heading to Varadero, Cuba - Kite Beach?

Postby Kanaris » Fri Jan 11, 2008 2:50 am

Hi there

Just returned from a trip to Varedero, Cuba - really fun scene down there. Alex (owner/operator) of the local kiteschool at kite beach is in need of a 12M Cabrinha Omega bladder. If anyone is heading in that direction over the next little while, he would be sincerely grateful if you could bring a bladder with you. Alex is more than willing to pay the going rate for the bladder, and you'll have made a friend for life! Kite equipment is incredibly hard to come by in Cuba.

Please post if you're heading there, and intend to take a bladder with you - I'd hate for him to receive more bladders than he needs (or can afford). Regrettably, I've lost his email address, so I figured kiteforum would be the next best thing. If by chance anyone has Alex's email address, kindly PM his his info.

Having said that, if you have any old wetsuits, boardies, kite gear, etc collecting dust in your garage/basement, the kids down there would go crazy for it. The skill level is progressing fast with really old equipment - in some cases guys are having to come in every 20 mins to re-inflate their 2001 kites. Would love to see what they could do with some newer stuff.

Thanks for taking the time.

Cvaradero
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Varadero Town
Pond Road beach NL, Canada
Favorite Beaches: Varadero, Cuba
Pond Road Beach, NL, Canada,
Style: Wake-style/Freestyle/Surf
Gear: OR

Re: Are you heading to Varadero, Cuba - Kite Beach?

Postby Cvaradero » Wed Jan 16, 2008 2:05 pm

Hi there Canaris ,

i am glad that someone cares for my friends in Varadero. Is glad to know that alex is in front of the school now, i will give him a call on friday (best day for calling cuba) and get his email address. i usse to have it but i dont know if he changed or not. Oh by the way i am cuban too from Varadero, Alex is a good friend of mine, i was one of the kitesurfing founder, i am leaving in Canada now. i wont be going home till April so i wi ll check on him to see what he needs and the rest of the boys.

thanks again for caring, is hard to find people who wants todo a good faith action like yourself.

Charlito.

Kanaris
Rare Poster

Postby Kanaris » Sat Jan 19, 2008 11:46 pm

Charlito - thanks for the reply.

Fortunately a friend of mine who runs Silent Sports in Thornhill, Ontario, Canada is heading to Varadero in early Feb. He'll take a bladder with him - please pass the word onto Alex.

Cheers

skiku5
Rare Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby skiku5 » Sun Dec 28, 2008 10:56 pm

Hello

I will probably visit Varadero This Feb. (2009), Never been in Cuba so far. I am beginer. Do you know Some kite scholll or spots for beginners ?

Thank you

Pavel

alexeyga
Very Frequent Poster
Favorite Beaches: Ocean shore!
Style: Freeride dongling
Gear: No brand affiliation

Postby alexeyga » Mon Dec 29, 2008 12:27 am

Pavel, where are you from bud? Sound like Russian to me... If you are, PM me, i'll expain you everything in Russian...

Anyways, If you're going to Cuba just for kiting, try to avoid Varadero and go directly to Cayo Largo, it's THE spot for kitesurfing... Great for beginners as well.

As far as Varadero goes... all depends on where you'll be staying, but chances are you'll have to take a bus or rent a car to get to the kiting spot, unless you'll catch a good day right in from of your hotel with on-shore winds...

I've been in Varadero last February.. next time i'm going back to Caya Largo... nothing compares!!!

But if you'll end up in Varadero, it's a good idea to bring some cheap used gear and sell it to locals at the end. Like older c-kites and older boards... there is a huge shortage of equipment there... just make sure to sell it for cash and not trade for cigars.

Cheers...

Cvaradero
Medium Poster

Postby Cvaradero » Mon Dec 29, 2008 12:49 am

Cayo Guillermo better than Varadero? you have to be kidding, there is not place in Cuba like Varadero for kiteboarding. the key (Guillermo) is nice and quiet, is just a key. Varadero has 25 km of white sand beach which is a plus for learning, also is very easy and inexpensive to change the spot if the wind changes direction.

if you are going down to Varadero contact me again and i will hook you up with a professional instructor and he will give you the best deal you can find out there.

ch

alexeyga
Very Frequent Poster

Postby alexeyga » Mon Dec 29, 2008 1:24 am

Cvaradero wrote:Cayo Guillermo better than Varadero? you have to be kidding, there is not place in Cuba like Varadero for kiteboarding. the key (Guillermo) is nice and quiet, is just a key. Varadero has 25 km of white sand beach which is a plus for learning, also is very easy and inexpensive to change the spot if the wind changes direction.
:jump: Who said anything about Cayo Gillermo? Bro, what have you been smoking with don Juan? :D Listen, I was in Sol Sirenas for a week... out of 7 days we've got 2 days of bamboo smoking cose there was no wind.... only 2 ridable days in front of the hotel, and that because of the storm in Florida... and 2 days we had to travel all the way to the tip of peninsula to get some decent winds. And to be perfectly honest, I didn't exactly found the spot where the kiteschool is located "total-beginner friendly"... Bottom is kinda harsh if one spends more time walking than riding.... So c'mon... I understand that you want to attract some people, but let's try to be honest...

As far as Cayo Largo goes, last time i've been there got 7/7 on a 8 and 10m kites... plenty of space for advanced and total noobs... not many instructors though....

Chees...

Cvaradero
Medium Poster

Postby Cvaradero » Mon Dec 29, 2008 12:51 pm

i ment cayo largo, not cayo guillermo, but again : the same, yeah you got a bad week there, i dont need to attract anyone, is just facts. varadero is the place with more wind in Cuba, you can ride with any direction and you can go to other places apart from there. just because you had a bad week don't jump to conclusions.

i lived 20 years there, i started kitesurfing there too, i have travel all cuba and i think i may know a bit more than the rest. Cayo Largo is beautiful, no doubt about it, but in relation to wind it will never compare with (Varadero Peninsula).

anyway, Feb. is a god month for winds from 17 to 25 knots. whatever you choose you will be ok. if you need help with gear or lessons i will hook you up with some friends.

cheers
ch

alexeyga
Very Frequent Poster

Postby alexeyga » Mon Dec 29, 2008 4:50 pm

Well, the only conclusion that i drew so far is that if I want to get some quality kitesurfing, i'd rater hit one of the islands...

That being said, I still like Varadero... :bye: I was actually planning to pay it a visit, cose my g/f needed a lesson... but I've just got dumped... :jump: So at this point I only need wind... lots of it... :angryfire:

Ch, aren't you the guy whom i've met in Oka sometime in September? It was cold and you were looking for the cable park...

Gaston
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Kite Beach
Style: como salga
Gear: t2
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Gaston » Mon Dec 29, 2008 7:12 pm

Hi everyone. i'll be stay in varadero and cayo largo next march (2009). I'm a beginner in this, what do you think about bring a Rev 11. I weight 68 kg.
And exactly where is the kite school in varadero. I'll be stay in Melia Trip Varadero.
About the goods that the need i don't have any dust at home to carry on but i glad to help cuban kiters in anythings they needs.

Saludos.
Gaston.

Return to “Kitesurfing”