Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

The Safety Topic: please post your experience and advice!

Forum for kitesurfers
pmaggie
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Gera Lario, Como Lake, Italy
Favorite Beaches: Lo Stagnone (Marsala, Sicily - Italy) - Soma Bay (Egipt) - Cabarete (Dom Rep.) - Kite beach (Maui)
Style: Freeride
Gear: Core Riot XR4 11, Core Riot XR 7, Core Riot XR2 15, Flysurfer Speed 5 21, Shinn Bronq 136x42, Shinn Bronq XL
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: The Safety Topic: please post your experience and advice!

Postby pmaggie » Wed Oct 09, 2019 1:56 pm

I think that sometimes light wind can lead to big problems, due to the fact that the rider is less concerned about what's happening since the wind is not strong. Some years ago, in Marsa Alam, winter time, the wind died and my 15 felt in the water. Since it was quite gusty, I simply waited for the next gust and relaunched full power with the front lines (wind was really light, no way to relaunch with a back line). Once my kite was in the air, it immediately began to loop pulling me downwind. To make a long story short, while I was waiting for the gust I didn't notice that a steering line was wrapped at one end of the bar. Nothing happened, the wind was very light, I'm experienced and I set the line free in a second but the lesson is: never underestimate the situations, also a super light wind day can become a kitemare if you don't pay enough attention.

podiatanapraia
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2014
Local Beach: Barra da Tijuca, Rio de Janeiro
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Cabrinha Switchblade 2013 12m
Cabrinha Apollo 2017 14m
North Jaime board 133cm
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: The Safety Topic: please post your experience and advice!

Postby podiatanapraia » Wed Oct 09, 2019 4:58 pm

Well, like you said, nothing happened BECAUSE the wind was very light, and while it's no excuse to be off your guard, we do generally understand light wind conditions as safer. I can, however, think of at least 3 exceptions where light winds are more dangerous than strong winds: offshore winds, big waves and unsupported downwinders. All situations where, if you can't relaunch your kite, you might be in trouble. Then again, if you don't have a plan B for when things go wrong, you probably shouldn't have gone out in the first place.

Return to “Kitesurfing”