Forum for kitesurfers
gottmoore
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Jupiter to ft Lauderdale- climbing Everest

Postby gottmoore » Tue Jan 22, 2008 10:08 pm

Did the race yeterday and am still feeling the rush (and aches)

Thanks so much to Neil Hutchinson for his vision. He held to his convictions, and waited out until the conditions were peak. We all reaped the reward of his patience and was it epic!

Winds proved nearly perfect for the couse and blowing hard! On shore at 25+ to start and never let up. As the race progresed, it turned into a broad reach for 30 miles plus. Seas were burly, well overhead and meaty sets to punish the unwary or weary. Rain squalls moved through in the morning adding challenge to an already hard core set of conditions.

With the camera crew (you guys rock) in a chopper documenting the entire event, it really made it unforgettable, at least for me. Those guys followed the leaders, then came back to get the mortals like me imortalized. I think they have footage of me in a "yard sale" after going through the rotor wash and losing kite control. I lost my board shorts(over wetsuit), but well worth the memory. If they wash up at 16th St. in Pompano, know they are donated to the race gods.

I crashed so many times I lost count, but I felt better after hearing every body crashed. I lost my board to the beach twice in 12' plus sets, did the "human ballyhoo" several times, and basically got worked for the 3-1/4 hours it took me to finish. I can honestly say without remorse I crawled onto the beach, cause I couldn't stand anymore. I dont think I was the only one, but no body else was telling 8)

When I hit the beach, I swore I would not do it again, but after gaining my senses, hanging at the afterparty, and living the afterglow I am sure I will be there again next year. The stoke is still so strong, I cant say enough!!!! Was it hard? Of course. Was it rewarding? Like climbing Everest, only this is my Everest

Remarkable facts:
It was a clean startfor 46? entrants.
Winning time 2 hours 14 minutes ( I think)
mens winner- first event entered??????

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Re: Jupiter to ft Lauderdale- climbing Everest

Postby Toby » Tue Jan 22, 2008 10:20 pm

thx for sharing the stoke. Be proud of yourself having done it!
After racing 25 min in a course race my body is dead...cannot imagine myself in 2+ hrs!

:thumb:

gottmoore
Very Frequent Poster

Postby gottmoore » Tue Jan 22, 2008 10:45 pm

Thanks Toby

60 miles is a LONG way. I was just really glad it wasn't 62!

Neil, Jeremy( Jupiter kitboarding) and all the sponsors and support staff deserve credit for setting up a great event. It sometimes seems these people dont get the recognition they deserve. It takes a lot to put on an event, and this was so much bigger for logistics. My hat is off to them ALL.

I'll be back next year with new shorts, a board leash, and a greater expectation of myself. I cant think of anything more I could ask from the race committee. They (and the event) were that good.

Cheers

Kalapana
Rare Poster

Postby Kalapana » Wed Jan 23, 2008 5:05 am

The winner's name is Jeremy Lung he is 21 very soft spoken on land but an animal on the water!
He would have to be to beat Billy Parker, Did I mention this is the 1st competition he's entered? I think he was the only person in the race on a royal kite.
Can you say sponsorship? :thumb:

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Wed Jan 23, 2008 5:10 am

as the old romans would say: veni, vidi, vici!

well done Jeremy! :thumb:

gottmoore
Very Frequent Poster

Postby gottmoore » Wed Jan 23, 2008 2:37 pm

Just an update

REAL race facts( sorry for mis info):
62 entered
48 finished
winning time 2hours 17 minutes

results officially posted

and some thoughts:
Whoever the guy with the prostetic leg is, you are the MAN. I saw him on the beach and was amazed. Later I heard through a friend he lost his leg and reattached with the help of a surfer who is a friend of this friend. Small world, big heart, bigger balls- its a mini series in real life

ANYONE who finished after I did- I am in awe of your tenacity. I barely made it, and to endure longer is a wonder to me. You inspire me!!!!

To the people who didnt get to finish- sorry for your bad luck. I know you know you can do it, and will.

Hope to see you all at the Invasion- look for the kite bike ( front row parking)
Attachments
jan 08 002.jpg
jan 08 002.jpg (1.53 MiB) Viewed 2028 times

suRff
Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: my lifestyle

Postby suRff » Wed Jan 23, 2008 4:55 pm

gottmoore wrote:Hope to see you all at the Invasion- look for the kite bike ( front row parking)

phuk hummers. that is one bad ass ride!!!

windshreder
Very Frequent Poster

Postby windshreder » Wed Jan 23, 2008 6:27 pm

Well done George, congrats! You have inspired me to enter next year.
Did you "train" for the race? What kite and board did you use?
Eric and I have talked about Ft Pierce to Stuart a few times. You interested?
Scott

RickI
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: SE Florida
Gear: Cabrinha
Brand Affiliation: Cabrinha

Postby RickI » Wed Jan 23, 2008 6:49 pm

Here's a clip of Mike Gebhardt relating part of his ride south. I have a ton of images including still and video that I'll have to whip into a few clips. This was my third time doing this run and it isn't getting any easier (or faster). Throw in a 27+10 mile run 48 hours before in Naples and you have the makings of some sore muscles!

More stories and images from the 60 mile run HERE.

gottmoore
Very Frequent Poster

Postby gottmoore » Thu Jan 24, 2008 6:03 pm

@ Shredder:

You will not be disappointed!!! I am still pumped up. To me, it wasn't really a race but a personal quest. I always am comptetitive, but really it was about me "just doing it". Will I try harder next year? Sure. Will I train, stop partying, drinking, get really fit and change? NO

Is free riding considered "training"? Then yes, I am really liking downwinders these days. Have done from Palm beach inlet to Jupiter (10 miles) a couple of times...and have a done a nice circuit (3 miles one leg) fom the Juno pier to the inlet in Jupiter as a natural course on east days a few times. I dont work out, run, and kite for fun, but I guess it all counts.

In the race:
07 11m Waroo
5.0 Rocketfish

Yeah, I talked to Eric and Steve about some downwinders, specifically sideshore days. I really want to enjoy the surf more than the marathon
Sideshore south
Jupiter to Stuart (20 miles)- really want to ride the reef line from Hobe Sound up to the St Lucie inlet
Stuart to Ft Pierce( 20 miles)- we can stop at Shuckers for lunch
opposite on north

lets do it!

Return to “Kitesurfing”