Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Torch 4 5th line lengths???

Forum for kitesurfers
Ludmil
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Torch 4 5th line lengths???

Postby Ludmil » Tue Jan 29, 2008 5:03 pm

Chuckster wrote: but im not sure about changing length ABOVE the Y - they're the same on DD and shift system i believe?
Maybe I`m wrong /hadn`t measure them/. I did it because when riding in at close to the top end of the kite cond./actually my top end/ with almost fully pulled trim strap if I push the bar to the knot the kite had tendency to loose shape. By loosing shape I mean the kite have had became more of U shape and the tips for a moment bended inwards.
Then realized that in order to keep tension the stopper at the Y maybe is set with few more centimeters below the position of the standard. I think that on the DD the whole 5th supports the kite shape being under constant tension when on standart shift just the part above the Y...
Btw shortening the depower rope could also help to avoid the extra tension below.

Regards,
L.

foggy UK
Medium Poster
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby foggy UK » Tue Jan 29, 2008 5:30 pm

Ive had a look and spoken to James From Naish UK.

Its a bit clearer now.... the stopper ball about 2/3 of the way up towards the kite is on the fifth line to stop it from gettin any closer to the kite ,,, ie, it keeps the fifth line bridle tought compared to the front lines in a pwered up situation and so there for stops the kite becoming too U shaped....

So as i see it the relation ship between the front flying lines and the fifth line is faily critical....

Below the ball doesnt realy matter much as long as there is some slack,,, but there has to be the right amount of front line compared to the fifth or else the shift sytemn doesnt work properly....

Worth checking JGTR as yours will be the same as mine ,,,, which is wrong...

:cool2:

R Soul
Very Frequent Poster
Location: Str8 From The Horses Mouth... Ravens and Shinns... Love 'em.
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby R Soul » Tue Jan 29, 2008 7:21 pm

Yeah, you got it now... It's the distance from the kite to the ball that is important, as the ball locks the shape.
What's going on under it is irrelevant really.

With the kite in the air and nicely trimmed, the red ball should be no more than about 2 inches from the "Y" joint. So when the kite gets overpowered it locks in.

The bungy is only there to take up some slack when the depower strap is pulled in.

Return to “Kitesurfing”