Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Ozone Design

Forum for kitesurfers
marlboroughman
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Oldschool
Gear: Naish
Brand Affiliation: Make Kiting Great Again!

Ozone Design

Postby marlboroughman » Wed Jan 23, 2008 5:10 pm

Thanks but no thanks. I think they overkilled with thinning of the leading edge. You can tell from the pictures that ripstop is bulking up behind leading edge. I do not know what that does to the performance, maybe nothing but it has poor visual effect. On the other hand front line leaders with velcro (someone should really hide Velcro from those guys) are designed purely for visual effect, solid feel to justify high price sort of thing. My problem with those leaders is that we had two incidents at our beach where the safety didn't release because the leaders were twisted. I am not going to advise people what to do with those leaders because Ozone should be doing that but I'll give you a hint: spare parts.

Bagels9000
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: White sands, Napeague, anywhere eastern long island
Style: freestyle
Gear: 9m,12m Naish Torch 07', Nobile 666, mystic warrior.
Brand Affiliation: We teach for Ozone only
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: New Ozone Instinct Range 2008

Postby Bagels9000 » Wed Jan 23, 2008 5:35 pm

werd, be in mui ne in 20 days

danie178
Medium Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: New Instinct Range 2008

Postby danie178 » Thu Jan 24, 2008 10:46 am

marlboroughman wrote:Thanks but no thanks. I think they overkilled with thinning of the leading edge.

There are several advantages to having thinner tubes :
a) less material so lighter kite
b) lighter kite means takes less wind to keep it flying
c) lighter kite also means it takes less energy to turn it
d) thinner tubes also mean less air inside them. Although this doesn’t really make it lighter (warning : physics content ahead) it does mean that the kite has less ‘mass’ and hence less inertia, so when you want to change direction of the kite, i.e. turn it, there is less inertia to this change and it turns faster.thinner tubes also mean less drag from the kite, less drag means more speed is retained and the kite flies better as a result.
directly form the designer notes on the ozone website

You can tell from the pictures that ripstop is bulking up behind leading edge. I do not know what that does to the performance, maybe nothing but it has poor visual effect. On the other hand front line leaders with velcro (someone should really hide Velcro from those guys) are designed purely for visual effect,
can you tell me who makes kites that dont use velcro to hold the lines up?

solid feel to justify high price sort of thing. My problem with those leaders is that we had two incidents at our beach where the safety didn't release because the leaders were twisted.
Whats that got to do with the velcro??
I am not going to advise people what to do with those leaders because Ozone should be doing that but I'll give you a hint: spare parts.
Get a waroo! :D then it will release on the back line, now thats fun! sorry dude your aguments dont make much sence??

marlboroughman
Very Frequent Poster

Postby marlboroughman » Thu Jan 24, 2008 4:06 pm

Give me one example of a company that uses front line leaders above the trimmer and back line leaders being that long. Answer: none because it is bloody dangerous. Ozone is pretty good at kite design but controls is another story. They should not try to invent anything just go with what's proven. There should be a recall on 06 controls, instructions on how to remove the leaders on 07's and you would think they got the massage for 08 but no this is Ozone they think they know better. :thumb: I mean the other finger

marlboroughman
Very Frequent Poster

Postby marlboroughman » Thu Jan 24, 2008 4:30 pm

danie178 wrote: Get a waroo! :D then it will release on the back line, now thats fun! sorry dude your aguments dont make much sence??
Whats that got to do with the velcro??
Front line flag is better than back line flag only when it works. Take out ozone bar twist the leaders and see how easy it is to pull safety. Yes Velcro makes it even more impossible. Now look at the controls of any new five line kite, an old C kite I mean any system that flags on a fifth from a ring which is the same as flagging on the front from a design point of view. None of those systems have a leader and a Velcro on a safety line.
danie178 wrote: Get a waroo!
I am staying with my 07 Ozone's on custom controls and if I destroy it I'll buy Nobile NHP's.

YngvaiMalmsteve
Medium Poster

Postby YngvaiMalmsteve » Thu Jan 24, 2008 6:10 pm

marlboroughman wrote:Give me one example of a company that uses front line leaders above the trimmer and back line leaders being that long. Answer: none because it is bloody dangerous. Ozone is pretty good at kite design but controls is another story. They should not try to invent anything just go with what's proven. There should be a recall on 06 controls, instructions on how to remove the leaders on 07's and you would think they got the massage for 08 but no this is Ozone they think they know better. :thumb: I mean the other finger
Alright dude, we all pretty much know that you hate the Ozone control system. You've made that very clear by hijacking pretty much every Ozone thread on this board. We get your point. It's getting pretty old.

In regards to twisted line leaders, the new Megatron should allow people to untwist the front/center lines while riding.

marlboroughman
Very Frequent Poster

Postby marlboroughman » Thu Jan 24, 2008 6:19 pm

YngvaiMalmsteve wrote:
In regards to twisted line leaders, the new Megatron should allow people to untwist the front/center lines while riding.
Are you kidding me. I like you to show me this stunt in an emergency.

YngvaiMalmsteve
Medium Poster

Postby YngvaiMalmsteve » Thu Jan 24, 2008 6:39 pm

marlboroughman wrote:
YngvaiMalmsteve wrote:
Are you kidding me. I like you to show me this stunt in an emergency.
Ummm...the point is you don't wait for an emergency. If you're riding and you noticed your lines starting to get twisted, then stop and untwist them....you don't just keep riding with them twisted.

It's like oil in your car. If you notice the oil getting low, then you stop and fill it up. You don't wait for your engine to freeze up and then complain that your engine can't handle low oil pressure...

marlboroughman
Very Frequent Poster

Postby marlboroughman » Thu Jan 24, 2008 6:40 pm

danie178 wrote:
There are several advantages to having thinner tubes :
a) less material so lighter kite
b) lighter kite means takes less wind to keep it flying
c) lighter kite also means it takes less energy to turn it
d) thinner tubes also mean less air inside them.
There are several disadvantages of having anorexic tubes:
a) going trough a lot of broken pumps
b) noodly soft frame, not suitable for waves
c) after landing in cold water too soft for re-launch
d) small puncture in a leading edge bladder becomes a big problem really fast
The industry already tried it and backed off a little because there is thin and there is too thin.
I am no expert in aerodynamics but it seams to me anorexic thin doesn't support the shape of the front of the wing unless in power zone exposed to the wind.

YngvaiMalmsteve
Medium Poster

Postby YngvaiMalmsteve » Thu Jan 24, 2008 6:42 pm

marlboroughman wrote:
I am no expert in aerodynamics
Exactly. So why are you telling a guy with a PhD in aerodynamics how to design his kites?

Return to “Kitesurfing”