Forum for kitesurfers
wytcap
Medium Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Eclipse Kites

Postby wytcap » Sat Feb 02, 2008 8:27 pm

Just got back from the La Ventana kite expo, I was down there with the Eclipse crew, I have to say Chris and Dimitri are doing a awesome job with Eclipse Kites, the attention to detail and the want to produce a bombproof product that totally works great and is safe to use is unreal. It is rare with a company that you can call or E-mail with a question or complaint and not only do you get a answer but you get it from Chris or Dimitri not a person at a desk reading a manual. The Nano and Thruster work great and the bar is fool proof.

Keep up the great work
wytcap
:D

Cavamondo
Medium Poster
Style: Wakestyle

Re: Eclipse Kites

Postby Cavamondo » Sat Feb 02, 2008 8:34 pm

100% trivial post.

wytcap
Medium Poster

Postby wytcap » Sun Feb 03, 2008 5:07 pm

Well sorry if my post was 100% trivial to you , my point is Eclipse kites are well built and perform great. The Thruster is fast, and jumps great, and the Nano pulls hard turns great and is rock solid stable.
But this is my opinion, the common response to the many people that tried the kites in the demo, was that the kites were unbelievable.
Like anything in life you need to try before you buy!
Once you try a Eclipse kite you will see it for your self :bye:
wytcap

TomW
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Local Beach: Vejbystrand, Lomma
Gear: TW Surfboards hydrofoil board 110
Gong Veloce M, 100cm carbon mast
Ozone Hyperlink V1 7m
Hyperlink V2 9m, 13m
Concept Air Wave 4,5m

Postby TomW » Sun Feb 03, 2008 8:14 pm

Was out for 1st time today on T12 for an hour, so keep that in mind.

My stats: 75+ kg, born ´59, kiting 5 years. Ride OR Mako 150x34.
Most recent and still owned quiver- 06 Waroo 7, 07 Waroo Pro 11, 07 Waroo 15.

Winds today 12-22 knots. Mostly around 18- the holes and gusts were limited but there. Typical winter conditions here- tail end of a low-pressure. Flat and choppy. Kite was well powered in these winds.

On a 45cm bar with 24m lines.

Coming from the WP as my main kite, i can say there is quite a difference in how i need to fly them.

Thruster turns fast and direct- but not without control- you can turn it slow and powered or flick-it and do fast turns.
During jumps i can leave it above to glide and redirect at last second to get soft landing. Both of these attributes are better than WP-W

Jumps with same lift and glide as WP. Easy to jump- less need to sheet in at jump but works that way too. Kite glides more if sheeted out- Waroos drop you fast if sheeted out.

I really like the feeling at the bar- i have a good sense where the kite is- bar pressure is not high, and it is constant- Some say a rear-front line link makes the kite mushy, but i can´t feel that- on this kite its the opposite.

Relaunch is easier- seems like strut connection which allows water to not catch at struts- lifted easily from LE down wind.

The bar is really nice- this is the best part of the package- really simple and well built- both flagging and hi-depower re-ride depower at same time and switchable on the water. Depower strap easy to reach with short arms- and short depower throw on CL line is good for us short people.

Now for what i feel may be the trade-offs, but not necessarily that negative:

- kite has about 70% depower- there is a lot of power left if depowered to a point where kite is still in "stable" condition with rear line tension.
- If kite is depowered to a point of 90% depower the kite starts to luff, loose form due to low rear line pressure and then pumps and surges a bit.
it seems this is due to the rear-front line link and the minimal bridles that do not support entire LE ( guessing).

(I´m so used to the WP- if you depower that kite to 90%- it is form stable and like a fixed wing- but i understand the trade-offs of such a stiff airframe)

If i concentrate on keeping the rear-line tension on, and use a more C-kite edging style the kite moves quickly to the edge of the wind window and behaves well. I´m sure my style will adjust.

Overall: had great fun today- A fast, fun kite that get back to the C kite feel. Nice to have power in the turns again- did jump transitions with far more ease.

Dimitri M
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: I travel all over the world.
Favorite Beaches: So many to list....
Style: MY OWN STYLE :-)
Gear: SCREAMER 7/9/12/14 for Free Style. Not to forget the SCREAMER 10 LTD for my one go kite.
SURF 8 & 12 for the waves. RENEGADE 6.5 and 9 for all around kiting. And some times I use my son's JUNIOR PRO 4 when it blows 45+ for the waves.
Just try the EPICKITES and you will see for yourself.
Brand Affiliation: Owner of EPIC KITES

Postby Dimitri M » Mon Feb 04, 2008 3:14 pm

Thank you very much for your feed back on the THRUSTER TomW.
Now the kite will depower 90% if you pull the Depower Strap. Now if it is very gusty and it is blowing 12 to 20 knots then you might have to be careful because the Window of the Wind will be changing all the time so the kite won't be as stable and might loft if you depower 90%. Any way if it is blowing nicely and the gusts are not that far a part then if you depower 90% you won't have any problem.
Also if you hook your Leash on the Kill Switch then automatically you will depower the kite 100% but that is if you pull on the Safety Pull of the CL or if you unhook.

On an other note, I was very happy to see the faces of different customers that was testing the kites in Baja due to their expression on their faces. They were all amazed about the kites and how they performed. That is why we encourage you to test the kites before you buy one because we know you will be very impressed.

marina
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Central Coast, California
Favorite Beaches: Central Coast, California
Cabarete, Dominican Republic
Ventana, Mexico
Oregon Coast
Baja Pacific Side
Peru
Style: waves, jumping and wiggling
Gear: mixed
Brand Affiliation: mixed

Re: Eclipse Kites: podcast with the boyz this Thursday!

Postby marina » Tue Feb 05, 2008 7:03 pm

Image[

PODCAST #102:

Every Thursday evening, The Kiteboarder Magazine and the ASNews.net crew gives you the chance to ask questions and interact directly with guests from pro riders to designers and more!

Just back from a successful demo at the first annual La Ventana Classic and KiteXpo in Baja California Sur, Mexico, our guests this week are the founders of Eclipse Kites, Chris Cousins and Dimitri Maramenides. We will also have a special cameo appearance with Dimitri's 5-year old son, Cameron.

Got a question for Eclipse about their new 2008 gear, Skywalker boards, riding or teaching your kids to kite? You can either join the live podcast this Thursday and talk directly to Chris, Dimitri and Cameron or post your questions here no later than this Thursday 3p PST and we will ask your questions for you.

LIVE PODCAST:

* When: Thursday, February 7, 2008
* Time: 6p PST, 8p Central, 9p EST
* Where: http://www.fubar.com/new_lounge.php?lid=50075" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

RECORDED POSTCAST:

You can download the podcast starting Friday Feb 8 at the following sites:

* http://208.101.52.53/wordpress/?page_id=9" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; (feedburner and Itunes links)
* http://www.asnews.net" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
* http://www.kiteforum.tv" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

surfboy1968
Frequent Poster

Postby surfboy1968 » Tue Feb 05, 2008 7:58 pm

Dimitri....
Is there a dealer in South Texas :?: :bye:

HJ11
Frequent Poster

Postby HJ11 » Tue Feb 05, 2008 11:53 pm

Sent him a e-mail on the Eclipsesite or personal message on the forum :bye:

ascendkiteboarding
Frequent Poster

Re: Eclipse Kites'

Postby ascendkiteboarding » Wed Feb 06, 2008 12:04 am

I just got the new '08 16m the other day and my Nano 12 should get there Friday and I can't wait... I sold my board and have a Dimitri Lite Wind on the way as well as a new harness. I'm hoping that at least the harness gets here by Friday so I can try out the Nano with my 7' surfboard... Now I just gotta figure out how to get up on it... I've never went strapless nor kiting on a surfboard, I can see this being a ton of fun!

Dimitri M
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: I travel all over the world.
Favorite Beaches: So many to list....
Style: MY OWN STYLE :-)
Gear: SCREAMER 7/9/12/14 for Free Style. Not to forget the SCREAMER 10 LTD for my one go kite.
SURF 8 & 12 for the waves. RENEGADE 6.5 and 9 for all around kiting. And some times I use my son's JUNIOR PRO 4 when it blows 45+ for the waves.
Just try the EPICKITES and you will see for yourself.
Brand Affiliation: Owner of EPIC KITES

Postby Dimitri M » Wed Feb 06, 2008 12:16 am

Jeff Howard who owns PROKITESURF is an ECLIPSE dealer in TEXAS.
But if you need more info please contact us at dimitri@eclipsekites.com or visit our web site: http://www.eclipsekites.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Thank you.

Return to “Kitesurfing”