Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Ocean Rodeo's 2008 Mako Carve Series

Postby Toby » Wed Feb 06, 2008 12:58 am

Ocean Rodeo is proud to introduce the 2008 Mako Carve kiteboard series. Built with Ocean Rodeo's legendary attention to detail the 2008 Mako series is designed for durability, control and Carve!
Mako 2008 Logo 2.jpg
Mako 2008 Logo 2.jpg (158.54 KiB) Viewed 5505 times
The 2008 Mako line up is Ocean Rodeo's deepest line of heavy concave carving boards ever. Featuring 4 shapes with up to 18mm of concave the 2008 line up of Mako boards smooths choppy waters, carves up wind with ease and bites into every turn you make.

134 x 35 Freestyle
Mako 2008 134 1.jpg
Mako 2008 134 1.jpg (6.28 KiB) Viewed 3638 times
150 x 34 Freeride
Mako 2008 150x34 1.jpg
Mako 2008 150x34 1.jpg (5.56 KiB) Viewed 3634 times
150 x 40 Freeride Wide
Mako 2008 150 1.jpg
Mako 2008 150 1.jpg (6.31 KiB) Viewed 3636 times
170 x 42 Surf Directional
Mako 2008 170 1.jpg
Mako 2008 170 1.jpg (6.27 KiB) Viewed 3634 times
The 2008 Mako has bite!
Visit OceanRodeo.com to learn more!

http://www.oceanrodeo.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - 888-544-4969 - sales@oceanrodeo.com

tommeltot
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2002
Gear: .
Been thanked: 0

Re: Ocean Rodeo's 2008 Mako Carve Series

Postby tommeltot » Thu Feb 07, 2008 10:35 pm

I've demo'd the 134 Freestyle and it's truly a super board. Really cuts through the chop like a hot knife through butter and it's a nice board in the waves too. The concave on this board is wicked. Seriously tempted but have to save as my recent purchase has been the Ocean Rodeo Zen 129 Freestyle board. The surf directional will be a serious contender when I decide to upgrade my current directional :mosh:

ed257
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0

Postby ed257 » Fri Feb 08, 2008 1:22 am

I find the regular Freeride to be fast, forgiving and comfortable. It really eats chop for breakfast, holds a great edge - but is loose as soon as you flatten it out. It feels like I am riding my snowboard.

I am wondering how much more low end the Freeride Wide would give me? I am 185 lbs and current my large kite is a waroo 14.

Ed

ed257
Very Frequent Poster

Postby ed257 » Wed Feb 13, 2008 6:19 pm

ed257 wrote:I find the regular Freeride to be fast, forgiving and comfortable. It really eats chop for breakfast, holds a great edge - but is loose as soon as you flatten it out. It feels like I am riding my snowboard.

I am wondering how much more low end the Freeride Wide would give me? I am 185 lbs and current my large kite is a waroo 14.

Ed
OR, Evan - anyone?

Ed

EvanOR
Very Frequent Poster
Location: California, US Sales Ocean Rodeo Kiteboarding/Hyperflex Wetsuits

Postby EvanOR » Wed Feb 13, 2008 7:20 pm

ed257 wrote:
ed257 wrote:I find the regular Freeride to be fast, forgiving and comfortable. It really eats chop for breakfast, holds a great edge - but is loose as soon as you flatten it out. It feels like I am riding my snowboard.

Ed
OR, Evan - anyone?

Ed
Hi Ed,

In my opinion the Mako Wide gives a significantly better low end than the " original " 150 x 34 Freeride. I just spent three weeks in Mexico (Ventana and Cozumel) riding and demoing our 08 gear and the Mako Wide was by far the most popular board, especially in Cozumel where we were typically on bigger kites. The Wide turns and carves just like the original but it can be ridden with a lot less power. You can stand straight up on it with a big kite and cruise upwind effortlessly with very little power. At 150 lbs I can go upwind on the 14m Rise and the Wide in about 3 knots less than the narrow 150 and the Wide is much easier on the body....it has a much softer flex and eats chop like you would not believe. The board was tested back to back against " door " style boards and proved to just as effective, without all of the inherent downsides to these.... As a bonus, it's a bit lighter than the narrow 150 too! The odd thing is that I also rode the Wide lit up on an 8m, and it never felt big or like I needed to downsize.....I see it as the ultimate " one board " quiver.

Sorry about the rant, but I can't say enough about this board....so far it is proving to be far more popular than the original 150, and in the past I'd share my girlfriend before giving that one up.....

There is a thread re the Cozumel trip. viewtopic.php?f=83&t=2345704" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

You could post your inquiries there - perhaps one of the testers or guys who ordered post trip will see it and chime in.

Cheers,

Evan

Ocean Rodeo

Converting the World one rider at a time.

ed257
Very Frequent Poster

Postby ed257 » Wed Feb 13, 2008 9:48 pm

Evan,

I am surprised it is lighter. Did you use a different construction method?

How is the pop on the wide? While the regular surf is fast and is great in chop, I find it could use a bit more pop.

Ed

EvanOR
Very Frequent Poster
Location: California, US Sales Ocean Rodeo Kiteboarding/Hyperflex Wetsuits

Postby EvanOR » Wed Feb 13, 2008 10:19 pm

Hi Ed,

Construction is the same, but the Wide board appears to be a little thinner. I haven't taken any measurements etc but I believe this is the reason for the subtle difference. Regarding pop, tough to measure objectively but I would say the Wide is better. It does require you to pop from the rail rather than with the board flat - otherwise it tends to " stick " to the water. It is definitely easier to land tricks on the Wide - it is a much more stable platform and the extra flex makes a huge difference.

Cheers,

Evan

Ocean Rodeo

Converting the World one rider at a time.

Bfay
Rare Poster

Postby Bfay » Wed Feb 13, 2008 11:00 pm

The Mako boards are just top of the line...end of story. I'm always shocked...absolutely shocked that more people don't ride them. Although I am seeing more and more these days.

It is such an original, innovative design...nothing like in the world.

The guys at OR have really hit a home run with this board.

ORSales
Very Frequent Poster

Postby ORSales » Thu Feb 14, 2008 6:54 pm

EvanOR wrote:Construction is the same, but the Wide board appears to be a little thinner.
Yup. When we released this year's line of Mako boards the new Mako Wide was designed on the planform of the Original Mako 150 but was a fresh start. We tweaked the flex and the rocker in addition to adding the extra width. At the time the logic was simple, as Bfay says above, the Original Mako was so perfect we did not want to change a thing about it so we left the mold the same for the 150 narrow but tweaked with things for the new Mako Wide.

The result is a board with a massive wind range that you can do a ton of stuff with. In really high winds you can carve it as hard or harder than any other board on the market. In really light stuff it has a huge running surface to keep you on a plane and the added flex makes it a dream to ride in choppy waters.

If you have not had an opportunity to ride this board get in touch with your local shop and have them bring in a demo model for you to try. I am not at all exaggerating when I tell you that we have not had one board returned to us after people have had an opportunity to try the board for themselves.

Evan and I will be at the 2008 Pismo event with a couple of these boards there for demo, we will be in the Gorge around the beginning of May, intend to be in SC to do an event with Aircompany and will possibly be in South Padre as well in the coming months. If you can get to any of these events we would be happy to get you out on one of our boards or the new 08 Rise!

John Z

yosh
Medium Poster

Postby yosh » Sat Feb 16, 2008 6:50 pm

hey guys boards look great... hoping the OR rep will have some of these out this spring.... wondering about the stance width? some other 08 boards have adopted a wider stance for binding riding...wondering if the mako has??? thanks
peace!!!

Return to “Kitesurfing”