6'2" regular surfboard vs a fish for low end

Forum for kitesurfers
Dan Glyaire
Frequent Poster
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

6'2" regular surfboard vs a fish for low end

Postby Dan Glyaire » Fri Feb 08, 2008 4:05 am

im hoping to gain a few knots on the low end, so would going from my regular surfboard to fish surfboard really be much of a difference? and what size fish would be good? and is there any kite specific fish boards out there that anyone would recomend, are they much different than a regular fish shape? i just want to use it in 10-15knots with the smallest kite i can get away with.. i weigh in around 80 kilos.
cheers

surfingwithkites
Very Frequent Poster

Re: 6'2" regular surfboard vs a fish for low end

Postby surfingwithkites » Fri Feb 08, 2008 6:29 am

You will go in lighter wind or with a smaller kite if the fish has more surface area and volume than your current board. Most fish do. Another benefit of traditional fish shapes for light wind is the parallel outline and low rocker. Combine that with the width and thickness and you have a slab. Still fun to surf in small stuff and only a longboard will out do one for light winds.

Although I weigh almost as much as you (77 kilos) and I can easily ride around on a 6'0" by 18 1/4" shortboard in those conditions on a 9m reactor and pretty much the same on a 7.5 generator.

Get a 5'10" by 20 fish for riding waves. Get a 6'2" by 20 by 2 1/2" fish and you should be cruising. Or just go nuts and get a 6'6" or 6'8" and you should be able to tie a napkin to some thread and fly upwind in a duck fart.

Dan Glyaire
Frequent Poster

Postby Dan Glyaire » Fri Feb 08, 2008 10:02 pm

actually my big board is a 7'4'' by 18 1/2" and i suppose i can get going in slightly less wind than the 6'2", but not as much difference as i wouldve thought. so what makes the biggest difference for lightwind and surfboards then, the length or the width?
at any rate, im sure the fish would be a lot faster turning. the condtions i would mainly be using it are onshore wind driven sloppy 3-4' waves.

Kilokite
Medium Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Kilokite » Fri Feb 08, 2008 10:33 pm

Never tried the board but it seems like such a good deal that some must be wrong with it.
http://shop.surftech.com/s.nl/it.A/id.1 ... egory=-113" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

func
Frequent Poster
Gear: Ocean Rodeo

Postby func » Sat Feb 09, 2008 1:04 am

My 5'11" by 21 and 3/8" fish beats the pants off my 6'4" fattie shortboard, and even my 7'2" funboard in light winds. It's a Hynson Black Knight quad fin, and it in higher winds with an 8m kite it points upwind like mad. I'll have to take out the GPS next time and see exactly how high it goes, but it's crazy. It is a little wide for really aggressive turns, but it works fine for most surf. I spent today on my little directional kite surfboard cause the wind was up, but I hated it after spending a week on the fish - it felt like it was too slow, and it took forever to get back upwind.

I put some Surftech pads and straps on it for the bigger days, but end up riding it strapless more often than not, and the pads help prevent heel dents. My old shortboard looks like it's been stomped to death, but it hasn't snapped yet.

Try the fish if you can, you'll like it!

MonkeyAir
Very Frequent Poster

Postby MonkeyAir » Sat Feb 09, 2008 1:59 am

Had the Hynson board from boardworks about three years ago and was a great light wind ride but the construction is very week relative to the surtech tuflight. The Xanadu 5'10"is an amazing all around surf and kite board with the additions of some pads with inserts. These boards are not built to be jumping on them, though sometimes it is hard to avoid. Still have managed to collapse the deck a few times but if all in all it has held up well and works to a darn high top end wind range. You can just turn off the kite and surf. Both boards above have very little rocker, wide tails and rails as previously mentioned with large old school hatchet fins that don't collect sea grass but fly up wind. A becker old school fish in poly is a cheap option though more entrance rocker would be nice if you can pick one up at a garage sale for a hundred bones. Have had to relam the deck on my three year old one a few times but it has done hundreds of strapless days and still chuging along. The most duro by far old school fish are the ones that Underground produced for us with measurements sent to them. They did a phenom job and have been out for over a couple of years now with great reviews from us all. Droped rails allow a much higher top end and decent nose rocker allows vert re-entry and floaters over the marshmallow close out sections. Typical great UG build but the droped volume will not suit those who get a small one and want to surf and kite it. In winds this light, volume addition does make a difference in schlog transitions and surfing between hits of wind in the kite. I'm around 195 usually.

Dan Glyaire
Frequent Poster

Postby Dan Glyaire » Sat Feb 09, 2008 4:02 am

thanks for the info guys,sounds like what im looking for, definately going to pick one up. just not sure what kind yet, but it seems as though something 5'10" - 6' by 21" ?
so what is the advantages of quad, three or two fin setup?

tautologies
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tautologies » Sat Feb 09, 2008 4:18 am

Fish board are super nice on twin fin setups. They feel really loose and when you put your foot all the back, kick down and dig in the fish tail, it acts as an extra fin (so to speak) to increase tracktion. This how it feels. If you kick the tail out more flat you can easily slide it out which is fun in smaller waves :-)

I think I got more low end from the Naish 5'5'' Fish I had than the regular 6'1'' I now have. It would be interesting to see how a large fish perform compared to a foil board since they are supposed to have very good light wind qualities.

Anyways for the boards the width really seems to matter while riding light wind.

A.

func
Frequent Poster
Gear: Ocean Rodeo

Postby func » Sat Feb 09, 2008 4:24 am

From my limited experience, I'd say 3 fin thrusters turn better, but quads are better upwind as long as there isn't much toe in on the fins. All my thruster boards have the thruster fins toed in to where they point right at the nose of the board, where as the quad has the fins much closer to parallel to the rails. Haven't tried a two fin fish, but when I run my thrusters without the center fin, they don't seem to have enough bite to turn or go upwind nicely.

These days, whenever I ride a thruster it feels like I'm plowing through the water, too much drag, but they do stay in the pocket better because of that. I'm thinking a 19 or 20" wide quad fish with little rocker and not much toe in would be just about right for me. Your mileage may vary.

That said, it's still hard to beat a big old flat piece of plywood upwind. :)

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Sun Feb 10, 2008 12:44 am

I use a 6'6 Fish for really light wind (I am 72kg) !

(something like this)

Goes so much earlier because it has a wider tail, and more straight edges near the tail :thumb:

So you WILL gain a lot in low end.

But the price is, no doubt, that you have to move your rear foot VERY close to the tail (use a very wide stance in order to keep it gliding in ultra light wind if the wave dont carry you) if you want to ride waves and make a cutback with pressure and power !

Feels a bit awkward IMO, but is possible.

With your "regular" surfboard I am sure you will have a much more natural ride in the waves.

Just my view on things - you gain some and you lose some...

Kindly, Peter Frank

Return to “Kitesurfing”