Forum for kitesurfers
oceanplay
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: What the hell, kitemare.

Postby oceanplay » Wed Feb 13, 2008 3:25 pm

Well it hit around 4:00 and if anything the wind was stronger than the meters, just the sound, it was like a train.

I did a lot of things wrong, and right because I am here, but if I had lost my composer or control at any time it would have been over.

If it was someone new, or if not totally comfortable in the water, they would be dead, hell I should be!

It was a eye opener, never would I had thought I could be dragged 360 degrees around 3 times, the wind was over 40 and I don’t now how strong but it sounded like a freight train.

The kite was a 10 bularo and handled like a champ, but was fully powered, depowered!

Ryan, it was ED, Nick and I, the later is from the west cost you would know him by face.

We all have tons of experience kiting and a lifetime of water sports, that helps allot.

I'M DONE ROLLING DICE IN WEATHER LIKE THAT, I hope.

Clew In
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Clew In » Wed Feb 13, 2008 3:34 pm

Hey,

The last thing that I would be thinking about is the wind. What about the chance of lightning? A kite is the last thing I want to be holding when a storm is approaching. I may miss some good wind; however, I do not want to be the main course of the BBQ.

Clew In

RickI
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: SE Florida
Gear: Cabrinha
Brand Affiliation: Cabrinha

Postby RickI » Wed Feb 13, 2008 5:15 pm

tautologies wrote:Good to hear you were okay. Squalls like that can be very scary for sure. We have spots that has pretty crazy. wind...Wind changing direction, going off shore, sometimes being super squally so I am not entirely unfamiliar with what you are talking about although your situation sounds pretty extreme...I think the it is scary when you jump, and the wind changes direction on you while in the air...especially since there about a foot of water then reef.

Anyhow, I noted you saying that the other riders were on 5 line kites and therefore just released their kite and therefore were safe.
I have three points here that I am thinking of.
1. makes me think about what would happen only a few years ago when kites had a way smaller wind range. C-kites were crazy in winds like that...but you could still release them.
2. Flat kites bow / SLE should be releasable like that too. I've ready about kites doing crazy loops upon release. I don't think that is acceptable.
3. If not released flat(ter) kites has bigger wind range, but needs a little technique riding in winds like that. I found two ways to ride out nuclear squalls. One is to put the kite in the water on its side, which I don't really like..the second is to ride it like you did, but always remember to keep some tension on the backlines. Of course different kites does react different to different conditions and I have my latest experience on the shockwaves and helix which seem to handle it quite well.

I also basically think that in many case looking at wind charts in squalls will many times only ba a weak indication as small local circumstances are wildly different in terms of strength and behavior, and most charts are averages over a time period. Maybe you were caught in something that was a lot lighter only a few hundred feet away..even in the same squall. There is no way to know though. :-)
I posted a post a few weeks ago about how to ride through crazy squalls, (where the squall hit so hard it ripped the bar out of my hands)...and think there were some good suggestions there. :-) I really think that we absolutely have to think through what we are going to do in a situation like that BEFORE it happens. What about if you had not been as experienced as you are? It probably could have gone way worse than it actually did.

Anyhow good to hear it went well...
A.
What happens if you release your flat kite to the leash in high winds? Say on the o'shit handle vs. one of the leading lines? Does it spin but very little power, spin with power, risk tangling and redeveloping power? What should you do? Manufacturer input on this would be very welcome.

droptine
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Anse,Valois,Kb,AdV
Gear: Cab,Cf
Brand Affiliation: CCamp.

Postby droptine » Wed Feb 13, 2008 7:31 pm

What I personally have experienced while doing a few rehearsal of emergency eject is that it spins and pulls with between low and medium power, and of course all ines gets twisted. Ideally is to bring the kite very low, force it to land on it's leading edge and then eject while attached to the "ohshit" line. And/Or if possible grab and put tension on one of the front lines, this keeps the leading edge down and avoids spins.
That is how I usually self land my kite also.
What happens if you release your flat kite to the leash in high winds? Say on the o'shit handle vs. one of the leading lines? Does it spin but very little power, spin with power, risk tangling and redeveloping power? What should you do? Manufacturer input on this would be very welcome.[/quote]

tautologies
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tautologies » Wed Feb 13, 2008 8:24 pm

oceanplay wrote: I'M DONE ROLLING DICE IN WEATHER LIKE THAT, I hope.
after reading Ricks write up...combined with what you are writing.. :o :o :o :o

lost for words...

a.

pch
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Rugen

Postby pch » Wed Feb 13, 2008 8:31 pm

f... scary

no comments

if you drink some should have a bier with your pals tonight

ryansurf1
Very Frequent Poster

Postby ryansurf1 » Thu Feb 14, 2008 6:37 am

Tommy...noaa states se10-15 ramping up to 15-20 knts sunday night....who knows the season has been marginal and the forecasts the same...

that said we have had wind for several days...ask Lloyd.

Return to “Kitesurfing”