Local Beach: Sandy Hook
Favorite Beaches: Delray, Whale harbor, LBI, Boca Grande, Hatteras
Gear: Wainman/Mystic/RRD
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Jellyfish in Florida (ie. Man o' War) Question

Postby legrill83 » Tue Feb 26, 2008 9:19 pm

Heading down to Delray area and the Keys for a few days starting this weekend. Was curious about the jellyfish situation down there. Have there been alot around?? Forecast is lookin sweet with alot of eastern winds--does this usually blow in alot of Jellys?

Thanks 8)

RickI
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1998
Local Beach: SE Florida
Gear: Cabrinha
Brand Affiliation: Cabrinha

Re: Jellyfish in Florida (ie. Man o' War) Question

Postby RickI » Tue Feb 26, 2008 9:43 pm

Haven't seen a lot lately. Then again, easterly winds will often bring them in during the winter. We have been a bit light on wind recently. Best advice is to look over the beach when you first arrive. See if there are Portuguese, if so how many, how large and how regularly spaced. Then look in the water nearshore and see how many are floating around. If there are a lot, wearing a full wetsuit would make sense. It isn't that common to have that many around. Still, one good hit is all you need, right? Be in the habit of scanning for floats as you are riding along. Most guys really don't worry about them all that much. I don't, just keep my eyes open. A good dosing perhaps with anaphylactic shock is no picnic if you allow one to sneak up on you.

Went out tonight for a short while until the wind shifted side off. There were about 5 to 6, typically small Portuguese along a typical 50 ft. section of beach. They seem to have floated in within the last couple of hours. The wind is shifting offshore the SE coast for a few days and will blow the buggers offshore again. Once the wind clocks to NE again, a few hours later, Portuguese should start drifting in again. Just keep your eyes open, use a full suit and you should be fine.
Last edited by RickI on Wed Feb 27, 2008 3:43 am, edited 2 times in total.

Rustas
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2004
Local Beach: Salinelle, Capo Feto, Puzziteddu, Lo Stagnone, Agrigento
Favorite Beaches: Sicilia, Brasil, Venezuela
Style: ...trying to get one...
Gear: Torch 9, 10 and 12. Naish Sol, Aboards Z-series.
Brand Affiliation: I do believe in clean underwear.

Postby Rustas » Wed Feb 27, 2008 2:28 am

:o
And who am I...to be paranoid of normal horrible jellyfish in the meditearanian sea..?
Florida kind of ...became uninteresting.

I know...b...b...but it's my hangup. I swim a lot and, but when we get the jellyfishes here...i'm freked for some time.
The funny thing though, is that my girlfriend (who i'm sure used to be called "BillyBobJoe" in an other life gets pissed and want's to swim..!? Since she has a childhood problem with staying put, and check things out...
So anyway, we go out swimming...normally after 200 meters she get's burned... and i go to shore!
(Since i have been swimming after her i'm normally safe... :baby: :baby: :baby: )

Normally if i can get her to shout about "pussiness" she get's burned again... :cool2:

Sure our shit you clean with ammoniac (urin) and scraping it away with a knife, but i can not handle it...(I have put my foot on the "head" of one of those big ones in the surf more than once.)
They are to me what snakes and spiders are to others...

But these Portugese, the play in a totally different league, as far as i understand it...
What could really happen?
(Since i have only heard the ....you could die...story!)

Sorry to cut in ...but give me a jellyfish....and i give you my mother's.............car.....or something.
:kiss:

Cosmic
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Long Beach New York
Favorite Beaches: Everywhere the wind blows!
Brand Affiliation: We sell over 36 Brands!

Postby Cosmic » Wed Feb 27, 2008 3:25 am

You can wear panty hose like they do in Australia! haha seriously though, just got back from PR and got hit by a jelly. Stung pretty bad but went away in ten minutes. They were few and far between down there. So you should be fine in Florida if they are barely in warmer PR

airsurfer
Very Frequent Poster
Style: surf and hydrofoil big air and kiteloops
Gear: Ozone,Firewire, Moses, Zeeko,Levitaz, NP, ION

Postby airsurfer » Wed Feb 27, 2008 3:50 am

Like Rick said jump really high and scan for them below that way you can also do your rolls. If you see one make sure you land with your fins on the airbladder :lol: Seriously I wouldn't worry about it too much I've seen them around this season mostly smaller ones but they float and are blue so not that hard to spot. I always wear a rash guard mostly for sun protection but it works for jellies too.

RickI
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: SE Florida
Gear: Cabrinha
Brand Affiliation: Cabrinha

Postby RickI » Wed Feb 27, 2008 4:06 am

Ever have a Portuguese put you in the hospital with convulsions? Had that only once (with a boat load of German tourists I was running but that's another story) and have been nailed probably better than a hundred times over the last 35 years. Usually no big deal, hurts a bit and you ignore it, put Adolphs tenderizer on it or ammonia if you have it.

Had one guy in the race to Bimini from Ft. Lauderdale get a small hit to his bare ankle. He went into serious shock and had to be returned by his chase boat to Miami, aborting the race. So, they may not amount to much then again, sometimes they do. The Portuguese with larger floats, say approaching 10 inches plus can fire 1/2 inch into flesh with smaller floats firing to lesser penetrations. Saw some approaching that size on a free dive a couple of weeks ago. A wetsuit might stop that, don't think a light rash guard would do much at all.

Gfunk
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 0

Postby Gfunk » Wed Feb 27, 2008 4:10 am

I thought everyone was calling them "man whores". They are pretty easy to spot and avoid.
Last edited by Gfunk on Thu Feb 28, 2008 6:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

noel
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Brand Affiliation: none

Postby noel » Wed Feb 27, 2008 5:16 am

I wouldn't worry about the Man-O-Wars right now. It's shark migration season!

B-rad Lange
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 0

Postby B-rad Lange » Thu Feb 28, 2008 1:54 am

ha...you're right noel...it's amazing we all survive!!!

Return to “Kitesurfing”