Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Naish Smart Loop Optional Leash Attachment Point

Postby Toby » Thu Mar 06, 2008 7:19 pm

Naish News:

Naish recommends the use of the front line ring leash attachment to ensure that the kite fully depowers when the safety release system is activated. Naish absolutely does not recommend using any other leash attachment point. Kiteboarding is an inherently dangerous sport and riders need to maintain safe kiting practices in regards to both assessing conditions and equipment usage.

Naish also realizes that advanced riders may desire a fully spinning leash option, and the
following optional leash attachment point is explained. Use of this leashing method may not allow the kite to always fully depower one hundred percent of the time, and its use is fully up to the discretion of the individual rider. Naish does not recommend this leash attachment point and users that do use this leashing option need to understand that it may greatly inhibit the kite from reaching its full depower range, and that they take full responsibility of the possible consequences.

1) Attach the leash between the black balls at the end of the trim line. This will allow the kite to be dramatically depowered without having the bar run up the lines. Pictured is the Freestyle Leash, and the SLE Leash may also be attached with a larks head similarly to how you attach your flying lines to the kite.
Smart Loop 2008 Trim 1.jpg
Smart Loop 2008 Trim 1.jpg (84.5 KiB) Viewed 5758 times
2) After the release system is activated, the bar will slide up to the metal pulley and the kite will depower. When you are ready to restart, pull the bar to yourself with the trim line until you can reach the Smart Loop.
Smart Loop 2008 Trim 2.jpg
Smart Loop 2008 Trim 2.jpg (91.5 KiB) Viewed 3852 times
3) When you reach the bar, the Smart Loop needs to be reloaded. Sometimes the stopper will be tightly jammed and some line might need to be let through the cleat to give you the necessary slack to reload the Smart Loop. Keep the line cleated during the process of reloading the Smart Loop to ensure that the kite remains depowered.
Smart Loop 2008 Trim 3.jpg
Smart Loop 2008 Trim 3.jpg (95.52 KiB) Viewed 3847 times
4) Once the Smart Loop is successfully reloaded, hook in and reset the chicken finger through the spreader bar. At this point uncleat the trim line and slowly feed the rest of the trim link through the Smart Loop. As the kite starts to repower it will naturally pull the rest of the line until the kite is back to normal power and ready to be relaunched. Watch your fingers as the line will sometimes snap aggressively back into place.
Smart Loop 2008 Trim 4.jpg
Smart Loop 2008 Trim 4.jpg (92.37 KiB) Viewed 3843 times

dksurfer
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Lake Nipissing, North Bay, ON, Canada
Favorite Beaches: Ontario Canada, PEI Canada
Hatteras, North Carolina
Cuba
Style: TT, SB and HF
Gear: 12, 9, 7 North Dice 2016
12 OR Flite 2016
12, 9 North Evo 2014
MHL Lift Foil
Brand Affiliation: None
Been thanked: 0

Re: Naish Smart Loop Optional Leash Attachment Point

Postby dksurfer » Fri Mar 07, 2008 3:14 am

How long is going to take before functinoal and safe system is desinged! This is pathetic for a brand new 2008 desing!

Ludmil
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Ludmil » Fri Mar 07, 2008 9:28 am

dksurfer wrote:How long is going to take before functinoal and safe system is desinged! This is pathetic for a brand new 2008 desing!
You don`t get it do you?
L.
Last edited by Ludmil on Fri Mar 07, 2008 10:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

Gerard79
Medium Poster

Postby Gerard79 » Fri Mar 07, 2008 9:32 am

What happened to the mini fifth line?

I made one myself for my Cult. I made a line from the front lines, through the bar and connected that line to my leash.
This also gives you a good safety and when your depower line breaks you are still connected to your kite.

Henrikite
Rare Poster
Local Beach: La Franqui, Coussoules, Lacanau, Pere Pescador
Favorite Beaches: Lacanau, Pere Pescador
Style: Wake / Wave
Gear: Naish Cults 6,9,12 and LF Element 129
Has thanked: 0

Postby Henrikite » Fri Mar 07, 2008 10:57 am

Hi there,

Has anyone else actually even tried this before commenting that its crap. I've flown my Cult attached this way since the beginning and it works really well. Although I prefer flying it attached directly to the chicken loop suicide stylie as it's faster to sort the kite out after an unhooked move goes tits up.

:)

Puetz
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2003
Local Beach: Casuarina Beach
Rapic Creek
Lee Point
Buffallo Creek
Favorite Beaches: Old Woman Rock, Darwin
Oka Point, Sanuar, Bali
Phan Rang, Vietnam
Cemetary's, Mui Ne, Vietnam
Point Moore, Hells Gates, Geraldton, Western Australia
Rapid Creek, Darwin, Australia
Lee Point, Darwin, Australia (my local spot)
Nugas/Lakey Peak, Sumbawa
Marion Bay, Tasmania
Long Beach, Robe, South Australia
Style: Foil/Wave/Freeride
Gear: Duotone 13m Juice 2020
Duotone Neo 9m
North Rebel 2014 7m
Duotone Pace 4'10 Foilboard with Carve 950 + GT 90cm mast
North Nugget 5'3" Surfboard
Cyclone Surfboard 6'0"

Postby Puetz » Fri Mar 07, 2008 11:24 am

Can you guys not see it is Naish arse (ass) covering. Protecting from mistakes because the kite doesn't fully depower with the smart loop option.

JFB
Frequent Poster
Has thanked: 0

Postby JFB » Fri Mar 07, 2008 1:26 pm

Puetz wrote:Can you guys not see it is Naish arse (ass) covering. Protecting from mistakes because the kite doesn't fully depower with the smart loop option.
The kite does fully depower if u use the system as intended, it is like any other SLE, a leash to one of the front lines. But the discussion here is that if you want to use an alternative solution cause u don't like a leash coming in your way.
I have tried the above mentioned technique and it works great....

marlboroughman
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Oldschool
Gear: Naish
Brand Affiliation: Make Kiting Great Again!

Postby marlboroughman » Fri Mar 07, 2008 4:11 pm

Amazingly enough there is not one company that can get it right. This system is one of the best. All it needs is a stopper with three holes instead of two. The third hole is for guiding the front or fifth line safety leader to the bar just like SS or NHP, those ones have their own issues. Do what I do and that is make your own and put all those "designers" out there to shame.

dksurfer
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Lake Nipissing, North Bay, ON, Canada
Favorite Beaches: Ontario Canada, PEI Canada
Hatteras, North Carolina
Cuba
Style: TT, SB and HF
Gear: 12, 9, 7 North Dice 2016
12 OR Flite 2016
12, 9 North Evo 2014
MHL Lift Foil

Postby dksurfer » Fri Mar 07, 2008 4:26 pm

marlboroughman, I agree with you, it is shame that only a few manufacturers are thinking of safety and then designing a system that works! I think that you can make a 4 line kite as safe as a 5th line kite with out the issues that the 5th have...
Do you like to share your ideas with us?

marlboroughman
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Oldschool
Gear: Naish
Brand Affiliation: Make Kiting Great Again!

Postby marlboroughman » Fri Mar 07, 2008 5:20 pm

To make a perfect system you have to mix SLE and Shift systems and get a different stopper with 3 holes funny isn't it. From Shift you need CL with that little ring on it to sort the safety leader after it goes through the bar. From SLE you need that version of the block with the ring for front line flag or even better buy a 29mm Harken carbo block and put triple ring on it. Now see the ring at the bottom of the red tie ball on the SLE(front line)? you have to remove it and use just a knot so it will stop the line from going up but it will allow it to go through the bar on the way down. So at the end you have a spinable front line safety without resorting to ride suicide. I have a system like that with the sheeting still above the bar on my Ozone but I am getting Smart Loop upgrade kit to make it even better. It's hard to find that SL kit alone not to mention that CL has to have that little ring on it.

Return to “Kitesurfing”