mz16
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 0
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Kiteloops?

Postby mz16 » Thu Mar 27, 2008 4:58 am

can anyone provide some instruction on how to kiteloop? I can backroll, frontroll, roll to revert, air jibe etc. I ride a waroo pro 9m most of the time, and it seems the when ever I want to loop it it is just HUGE f'ing power. Big ass loop through the window, even when i attempt to loop it over my head, i drags me like crazy and i crash hard as shit. I know that eventually it will be good to do powered loops, but for now its just too hellish. Anyone have any advice as the progression to doing a kiteloop? is it easier unhooked? is it easier to jump and loop on the way down, and then move along? should i do it with a roll? any advice/experience will be very appreciated

prep
Frequent Poster

Re: Kiteloops?

Postby prep » Thu Mar 27, 2008 5:20 am

basically your board speed, loop speed and wind strength will determine how big you go.

so go out on a underpowered day, dont go into it with to much board speed and loop the kite hard and keep pulling all the way through

wondamic
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2007
Local Beach: Leadbetter and C-Street
Style: Freestyle & Waves
Gear: Wainman all the way!
Brand Affiliation: Airborne Kiteboarding

Postby wondamic » Thu Mar 27, 2008 6:16 am

It sounds like you are looping it too early which makes the kite pull hard and fast and gives you loads of speed.....Have you tried it on a 11/12M hooked in? I know it's big and slow but at least it will be less of a hard pull in lighter winds. I would also recommend doing it right as you feel yourself at the apex of your jump, then pull super hard and hold. This way, you are now controling the kite's loop with your weight vs you being at the mercy of the kite. When it's ligther winds you will need to pull throughout the loop until it completes it's turn. You may be on the water at this point but that's ok. Also, if you pull the bar towards your front hip, that will allow you to point the board down wind.....

Ssoooo...Jump normal, bring kite behind you, wait until apex, pull on the back hand, bring bar to hip, and point board down wind. Ride away stoked....

Hope me 2-cents means something. Good luck and don't stop until you kill it. :bye:

raoul
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2004
Local Beach: Belmont Shore, Long Beach CA
Huntington Beach, CA
Sunset Beach, CA
Favorite Beaches: Zichron + Kinneret, Israel
Quaipe, Brazil
Paros, Greece
Style: Free Style
Gear: Board: Underground
Kite: Naish Torch, Fone Tribal, Blade Trigger

Postby raoul » Thu Mar 27, 2008 8:33 am

mz16 wrote:can anyone provide some instruction on how to kiteloop? I can backroll, frontroll, roll to revert, air jibe etc. I ride a waroo pro 9m most of the time, and it seems the when ever I want to loop it it is just HUGE f'ing power. Big ass loop through the window, even when i attempt to loop it over my head, i drags me like crazy and i crash hard as shit. I know that eventually it will be good to do powered loops, but for now its just too hellish. Anyone have any advice as the progression to doing a kiteloop? is it easier unhooked? is it easier to jump and loop on the way down, and then move along? should i do it with a roll? any advice/experience will be very appreciated
I understand you are doing you kiteloops hooked in. Well, thats how I started too. I thought that first doing it hooked in and only then proggressing to unhooked is the way to go.
I was wrong ! Unhooked is so much easier and natural. The angle and balance of your body is wrong when you are hooked in, specially when landing. I am guessing you landing are real hard, like a smash onto the water and sometimes after the hard landing there is no power to continue.

My suggestion...
First practice some unhook (jumps, raily, etc...)
Then attemp a kiteloop unhooked without the backroll.
When you perfect this, advance to a full kiteloop, unhooked, with the back roll.

Goodluck.

Sakellaropoulos
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2005
Local Beach: BigBay, Cape Town - S.A.
Favorite Beaches: BigBay, Cape Town - SA
WindChasers, Langebaan - SA
Local Lagoon, Hermanus - SA
Breede Mouth, Witsands - SA
Style: FreeStyle / WakeStyle
Gear: 09 SS Fuel 5m
08 SS Fuel 7m
08 SS Fuel 9m
08 Mystic Firestarter
08 SS Len10 Lunacy 129
08 Airtool Torsion 125

Postby Sakellaropoulos » Thu Mar 27, 2008 9:45 am

Kiteloops can be scary as hell... but the golden rule to any powered insane trick is COMMIT!!!!
If u hesitate for one second in a powered loop, you WILL HURT yourself... i dislocated my pinky toe last week just hesitating on a downloop...

I find practicing loops are easiest throwing a backroll into it as well...
Ride, slow down, bring kite up to 12, throw a backroll, and as u turn your head over shoulder to spot landing, pull hard with both hands on back of bar, and the kite loops, whips you round, and you ride away downwind.
From there, you can start pushing it a little faster, higher backroll, harder loop etc...

Another easy way to loop kite, which actually looks really awesome (but u'll have to have your railey down)... is the following :
Ride, start bringing kite to about 11, unhook, and pull hard with both hands on back of bar, and attempt your railey at the same time...
As you start throwing your board out for the railey ,the kite will loop, and pull you a few meters high, and straighten you out... pull bar to hip, and land downwind.. .really awesome Loop!!

Other than that, as mentioned before by other users, jump, at apex of jump, pull hard either downloop or kiteloop, but remember to COMMIT!!!!... and ride away smiling!!

Good luck, and AGAIN... remember to COMMIT!!!

tautologies
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tautologies » Thu Mar 27, 2008 9:55 am

lots of different advice here...I still also keep on crashing the bigger ones.

For the smaller ones...I'd start by doing surface non-powered loops...go go normal to slow speed, put the kite high and pull the trigger..the closer the kite is to 12 the less pull it will have...this will only pull you off the surface slightly..and give you some speed down wind...remember to not edge while pulling the trigger..then work your way towards more speed more power, pulling the trigger earlier...

If you are slightly underpowered..still going upwind, do your back rolls with a kiteloop...enter into it like you would normally...go as normal throw your head..send your kite slowly back, once you are half way around, pull the trigger...the kite will loop and pull you the rest of the way..whenever I do these too powered I end up over rotating...so i anyone has some advice that would be great...
I am thinking I should pull the trigger earlier...

a.

paulie
Frequent Poster

Postby paulie » Thu Mar 27, 2008 10:02 am

I started simply by doing a downloop after a striaght jump, you naturally pull on your front hand to redirect the kite so I just started pulling harder and downlooped the kite coming into to land. It gets you used to the pull.

Then I started doing them earlier and earlier before switching to my back hand and doing kiteloops...

prep
Frequent Poster

Postby prep » Thu Mar 27, 2008 10:11 am

I started learning loops by doing them as I would a transition...slow board speed.

if you want big loops and soft landings you need a small kite and lots and lots of wind.

Cavamondo
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2006
Style: Wakestyle

Postby Cavamondo » Thu Mar 27, 2008 11:08 am

I disagree with the small kites - max wind, for practicing kiteloops - and any tricks in general.
I would say big kites with low wind. This gives you a controlable kites, enabling you to correct your kite stearing even as it gos. Smaller kites are like little satans, once you send it away commincing your trick, there is no way back, and if you f*** up, u risk the little kites continues to loop, og flies super fast in opposit direction etc ripping your puny lillte body to pieces. A well powered size 10' looped in the powerzone will kick your sorry lilly ass so bad if you f*** up. So, bigger kites - lower wind is the way to go for practicing & introducing tricks for beginners. As soon as you know what your doing, its no problem practicing with smaller / faster kites - but they require that you know how to perform the manouvers fast without having to think after commincing to the trick - small kites are so fast when powered.

About practicing unhooked kiteloops. (sailing to the right direction).
It's important to have enough power in the kite, to pull your body throuh the motion. Use a kite size that will give you 90% power of its sweetspot, and just go steady moderate tempo with the kite at 13 (1 o'clock).

Ok, steady you go, center your hands on the bar on each side of the center. Fall a bit downwind as you unhooked, but the kite must stay powered, (lines stretched) its important to have power in the kite all the time. Ok now you are unhooked - as you edge up to build up power for the power, you switch both hands to the very end of the left side of the bar. This will send the kite from 1 o'clock up to zen, and down 10 'oclock and so forth looping. You will feel the power build up from your edging and from the kite commincing its loop, just keep edging and leaning back grapping only the very end of one side of the bar. Once the power reaches its max, it will automaticly pull you out from the water and give you a natural flow landing relative softly. In the beginning you will ned a few try before you know when to remove the right hand from the left side of the bar to stop the kite from looping. But its no danger if you overloop the kite.

OzBungy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby OzBungy » Thu Mar 27, 2008 11:28 am

I have recently masterd kiteloops and they are actually one of the easiest moves in kiteboarding.

The trick to learning to kite loop is to cheat. :)

First piece of advice is to forget about doing a back roll during the loop. It's almost certain you will get slammed in on your back. It hurts. Just do jumps with kite loops. It's easier and you can get to enjoy the view and the feeling of looping.

Start off by practicing looping the kite as you ride along. Ride and put the kite high then ride past the kite so it is a little behind you. From this position the kite is super depowered and you almost have to loop it to bring it forward again. The kite loops more beside you than in front of you.

The next step is loop transitions. Do a small vertical jump, position the board to ride in the opposite direction then downturn the kite through the window to send yourself in the opposite direction. You can start by cheating by waiting until the board hits the water before sending the kite through the downturn.

Once you get the hang of jumping and looping and doing it all together, you can start on working on straight kite loops.

Do a fairly small vertical jump. Allow yourself to dangle and swing a little under the kite so that the kite is a bit behind you (like your earlier practice). Loop the kite to bring it forward through the power. Again you can finish the loop with the board on the water.

When you get comfortable with these little dangley loops, start going higher and earlier. You will find it is easier to do a huge jump with a loop than doing ordinary jumps. It won't be long until you can do a full power redirection in the air with a big powered loop. It's surreal to be high in the air with the kite out beside you then for the kite to catch you before you fall.

Return to “Kitesurfing”