Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Knee Operation:Will it ever be the same kiting?

Forum for kitesurfers
B-MAN
Medium Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Knee Operation:Will it ever be the same kiting?

Postby B-MAN » Sat Apr 05, 2008 2:38 pm

Hi People,

A brief history of my right knee:

Had no problems and no injuries until I did a snowboard season in a few years back. Tweaked my knee when i spaded the nose into the pow on a jump and my body carried on and according to the physio......tweaked my acl. However, with minimal swelling and 3 weeks rest and a 'terminator' style knee brace I was able to snowboard all season no probs. Even hiked lots for fresh lines. However, It did ache when there was no fresh for a while and the hill became to mogully. Then I learnt to kite. All fine, maybe just ached a bit doing the walk of shame to much through being keen.
On my return home, knee was fine. Doing a more sedate job and probs only kiting weekends in winter and more in summer....no probs. Maybe a heavy sess when i got better, it would ache.

Anyways, now doing a more active job where i'm on my feet and kiting more as i have early starts and early finishes :0) my knee has played up to the point where i am limping so i have had keyhole surgery. The surgeon said he made a small repair and cleaned up my cartillage but said theres not any major problems.

2 months on, being on my feet at work, it aches a bit sometimes. Also going for a cruise kiting, doing nothing major........just easing myself in, it feels fine riding but aches afterwards but not like a painful ache where i will limp.This will settle very quickly. Also, say for example i put my knee down on the matress of my bed and lean on it, you can feel it still but its not painful. Will this ever go away? (This is hindering doggy style ha ha)

It also looks like i'm going to need the same op on my left leg now which sucks big time!!!
Should i go back to a more sedate job and save the legs for the good times?
Is going unhooked and pushing it out of the question and perhaps wave riding is gonna be the go from now?

Just wandered if anyonelse had experience of keyhole ops and getting back into it? Or any physio advice? I mean, you see people with alot worse knee injuries that are back pushing it again and then theres footballers that are back after ligament reconstruction/cartillage work.

I'm only 29 and need to be able to kite, but also walk around when i'm 50 ha ha

Cheers

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 98 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Re: Knee Operation:Will it ever be the same kiting?

Postby Toby » Sat Apr 05, 2008 5:12 pm

sorry to hear this.

Forget about wakestyle, since this style has very hard landings (keep the kite low for more power...).
At at 29 you are already "old".

Don't make the mistake to follow the "trend" of wakestyle and f*** up your knees for lifetime...not worth it!

You see all the kids busting their knees, and they are young! e.g. Youri Zoon. He has many problems with his knees, but he is trying to be back strong. And always has problems again, because I also think he doesn't give himself enough rest to cure it completely.

Waveriding can be a problem for your knee, e.g. if I want to hit a wave and do a big spray, I have lots of power on my leg and knee, so it has to hold a lot. But if you do more the surfing style and surf it, it shouldn't be any problem. Just look out, when you want to go over a wave and it breaks right in front of you, that you get out of teh straps quickly and don't hit the wave with your feet in the straps and your legs stretched...search for "Neil Hutchinson knee" and you will see what I mean...

In general, if you feel you miss a landing and will hit hard, get rid of the board, so your legs/knees stay out of trouble.

I had a small problem with my knees as well. Played tennis, and knee became always thick, and couldn't really walk. Kiting caused less problems. Took it easy with my knee, played less tennis, and then with a knee support (bandage). Funny thing is, now I don't feel anything on the water, kiting quiet a lot with lots of pressure on my legs. Good, that I didn't do any surgery on my knee. Always better to not do anything, if possible.

Good luck for all! :thumb:

Pike
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Pike » Sat Apr 05, 2008 5:47 pm

Funny things knees..

I bust (total rupture) my right acl and two tears in the meniscus (cartilages) 4 weeks ago, skiing. I am now kiting fairly hard (both wakestyle & surf but only intermediate standard) with no operation but with a brace. I saw one of the top surgeons in the UK who said to go ahead but take it as easy as I comfortable with, see how the summer goes and only operate if necessary. He doubts research on long term problems. But then I do not run or play any sport that needs stop & turn actions.

The knee has never been unstable, swollen badly or hurt (apart from the accident itself) and movement is improving everyday. I am now seeing physio who are the most important people in these situations. Personaly I would prefer not to have any invasive operation unless absolutely necessary (ie knee start to give way etc).

There's a guy at our beach who has not had an acl in his knee for 10 years, kitesurfing, surfing no probs at all.

Just gotta keep the right muscles active and the hamstrings nice and tight/warm.

Don't jump into operations unless you really need to bud..

PS I'm 44 years old

North_Wind
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Rhosneigr
Big Bay, Cape Town
Style: cruising and jumping
Gear: Duotone

Postby North_Wind » Sat Apr 05, 2008 5:58 pm

Another reason to avoid surgery is the risk of infection with a drug-resistant bacterium such as MRSA or Clostridium Difficile. We have a particular problem in the UK but hospitals around the world are contaminated with these bugs. It is really bad news if it ends up in a joint during orthopaedic surgery.

I had a weak right knee from a skiing accident but regular exercise (but avoiding the short sharp stop and turn stuff e.g. squash) has greatly improved it.

Good luck,

North Wind

EvanOR
Very Frequent Poster
Location: California, US Sales Ocean Rodeo Kiteboarding/Hyperflex Wetsuits

Postby EvanOR » Sat Apr 05, 2008 8:51 pm

My situation was very similar to yours ten years ago (age 25). For me, I think it was years of skiing bumps that set it off. I had surgery to " clean it up " and nothing significant was found. The surgery made little difference, and months later when my other knee started acting up I decided to make some adjustments and just deal with it and move on. I switched to snowboarding so I stayed away from the bumps.....these days wakestyle is out and I ride a very forgiving board that really eats the chop and smooths the ride. My knees always ache a bit and are stiff on and off the water (if I make a conscious effort to think about it), but it does not bother me anymore. Your mind will learn to " normalize " this and you won't give it a second thought......took me about two years form the onset of the pain to sort this out.....train your mind and the body will follow...drugs and surgery will not help with long term issues, and as much as we like to believe it, not all of use can ride forever the way we did in our early twenties - those who can are the lucky exceptions! Or maybe they just never went hard enough at a young age.... :D You'll be fine, just ease back into things with a positive frame of mind.

Cheers,

Evan

Ocean Rodeo

Choose Performance over Hype

prayfawind27
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Blu hill, Coral harbour(in front of the little key) Go Slow, Club Med
Favorite Beaches: kite beach Cabarete , Crondon Park Miami
Style: Free style

Postby prayfawind27 » Sat Apr 05, 2008 10:06 pm

the human body is a very amazing machine and only time will tell people heal differently, I'm 30 and i just had surgery for a broke ankle and got a plate with 7 screws into it, that's about a month ago. The dr said forget about kiting or any thing extreme for 6 months to a year. I'm riding, throwing airs, board offs, toe side riding, surfus passing and transitions. I google it and did my own physio , hot and cold massages. The crew can't believe i'm riding so soon. I'm not 100 % but i'm sure i will be So just do the physio, the hot and cold massages, take vitis that help with bone growth and let time and your own body tell you if you're going to be the same.

macca
Very Frequent Poster

Postby macca » Sat Apr 05, 2008 10:28 pm

I snapped ACLs in each knee about 15 years ago, not replaced, had 2 Key hole opps, knees are now F*****, due to wear and tear with out having stability of ACLs. I should of had them reconstructed at the time, but it was a fairly new opp then (talk of using pigs tendons!) so consultant thought better to wait.

I kite with a brace, can feel it after a good session, resulting in stiff knees.

I would recommend a really good doctor takes a look, and repair any damage.
My knee gives way only if sudden change of direction, which is not a problem. The problem is the wear has been more rapid with out the ACL.

I'm 44, and do not want new knees for a long time, so prevention better than cure.
Loads of good phyiso, keep legs really strong and dont play games which but side ways stress on knees.

Hope it works out for you, 29 is to young to be knackered.

ed257
Very Frequent Poster

Postby ed257 » Sat Apr 05, 2008 11:54 pm

I am already well past 50 but often forget that fact. When you are young you think you are invincable and you will never get older - or maybe you think you will die before you do. Trust me, you will get older and you will not heal as quickly when you do. If you want to be in great shape even when you are 50+, here are my suggestions:

1. Skip the wake style stuff. Your knees, back and shoulders will thank you
2. Get a bow/sle kite that has lots of hang and soft landings (many to choose from)
3. Get a forgiving board with good pads (Mako wide, UG Flx, Crazyfly). The mako really rides through the chop like its on an air cushion and lets you ride in a neutral stance so you don't have to load up your back leg.
4. Consider taking glucosamine sulfate, msm, HA to help your body repair your joints.
5. Routinely do some stretching (eg yoga) 2-3 times per week
6. Routinely do some strengthening exercises (single leg squats, dead lifts, stiff leg deadlift). You need no equipment. Be careful to balance the strength in quads, hams, and glutes.
http://www.bullz-eye.com/furci/2003/exe ... anuary.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

You can recover from this injury.

Ed

MeafordBoarder
Frequent Poster

Postby MeafordBoarder » Sun Apr 06, 2008 12:03 am

What did the doctor "clean up"? The actual ACL or underside of patella or what?

I had a very serious injury in my right knee 5 years ago while competing Mountain Biking, Shattered the kneecap, numerous sugerys, plate, temporary and permanent screws, MRIs, all that jazz, not quite a year since my last surgery (6 times I think in the last 5 before that)

Anyways, I also fractured my left kneecap while biking at a different time, this was a small fracture, In order to diagnose they did the scope surgery twice, and "cleaned up" the underside of the patella tons of X-rays...this didnt do it, so 4 years later after constant complaining about my knee and having the same sort of problems you were having post-op, they finally MRI'd it and discovered the fracture. A screw put it right. I guess the moral of this is dont be sure it isnt healed and if it keeps bugging you try to get it looked at again.

I do have a pressure/weird feeling in both knees when kneeling or crouching, and although its uncomfortable I have never found it harmful, and I do wakestyle and kiteloops.

MeafordBoarder
Frequent Poster

Postby MeafordBoarder » Sun Apr 06, 2008 12:04 am

What I find helps with my knee injury is doing Yoga and strength training. Be sure to balance muscles in all limbs though (as said before me)

Return to “Kitesurfing”