Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Barbados

Forum for kitesurfers
Bill
Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Barbados

Postby Bill » Tue Apr 15, 2008 1:17 pm

Going to Barbados on 1st November. Will be staying at the south of the Island not too far from the airport (Almond Casuarina Beach Resort - anyone know if its open yet as it was being refurbished!).

What are the best beaches to visit for wind/waves? Where is the best place to hire a cheap car to get us around? Is November a good time of the year for wind/waves/sun?

Cheers...Bill

Dwight
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Florida
Gear: Any

Re: Barbados

Postby Dwight » Tue Apr 15, 2008 6:04 pm

That place is maybe a 15 minute drive from the kiting beaches. You are staying in the fun part of town for vacationers, not kiting.

Kiting is on the SE beaches of Silver Sands and Silver Rock.

cyberdog1899
Rare Poster
Style: f*** knows
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby cyberdog1899 » Tue Apr 15, 2008 6:57 pm

I'm afraid November is not the best time of a year to go there. Good chance of rain and not very good chance for good winds, might be lucky though but I'd anything to go 2 or at least 1 month later as winter months are far better.
Not sure if You need a car as the island is quite small and roads shite. Local buses are very reliable and cheap. Can use one of the two kite-wind-surfing schools to store Your gear (I paid 2.5$/day for it) in Silver Sands (South East coast). This is the place to kite as well. There are normally some decent waves on the reef when the wind picks up but be carefull coz currents can be fairly strong as well.

Sanja
Rare Poster
Brand Affiliation: Ozone Distributor Germany

Postby Sanja » Wed Apr 16, 2008 8:48 am

hi there,

I think november isn't the perfect time for barbados wind and weather-wise. However, maybe you have some luck. for sure it is a great place if it works. we just came back from a three week trip. stayed close to silver rock. have a look at our pics to get an impression:
http://www.famousfrank.com/fotos" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

sanja

Mr_Weetabix
Frequent Poster

Postby Mr_Weetabix » Wed Apr 16, 2008 4:04 pm

I was on the Almond Casuarina site on Monday... definitely not finished yet, but they "should" be OK for November. Looks like it'll be nice.

Kiting is mostly at SIlver Sands/Rock and Long Beach. If you make it to Long Beach, I'm the novice getting the shit kicked out of him by the shore break!

Robsw6
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Local Beach: Hayling Island
Favorite Beaches: One eye, Sidi Kaouki, Big Bay, Gwithian & Hayling
Style: Powered
Gear: Reedins, Orbit2s & Surfboards (Cabrinha's & Naish), Nomad/TAD Mutants, Flash 4'10 & Naish Pro 4'10, Moses Hydrofoil & North Atmos

Postby Robsw6 » Thu Apr 17, 2008 1:42 pm

my favourite spot is between surfer's point on the southern side of long beach and silver rock (head out from silver rock & go upwind) - waveriding can be superb - just be careful as there is no real beach to speak of and it's a long swim from the south of surfer's to silver rock!

Also, if the wind is light; go snorkelling off the reef at silver sands - we caught four big lobsters there or go surfing either the lighthouse - or my favourites are Bathsheba (if your surfing is average - go just go slightly to the south of the soup bowl) or in a big swell Maycocks nr the cement factory on the NW side can be very sweet

Go to Oistins on a Fri night & find chicken Rita's in the south

Bill
Frequent Poster

Postby Bill » Thu Apr 17, 2008 7:02 pm

Thanks for all the usefull tips guys!!

Will I need a wetsuit?

Cheers..Bill

Frank Rosin
Very Frequent Poster
Style: wave & hydrofoil
Gear: Moses hydrofoils, Ozone kites, Dynabar sliding hook + a lot of other gear for fun and testing, e.g. Levitaz, Zeeko, AXIS, HB ....
Brand Affiliation: www.famousfrank.com

Postby Frank Rosin » Thu Apr 17, 2008 8:34 pm

Leave your wetsuit at home, just shorts are perfect! Plus maybe a shirt as sun protection.

Frank
http://www.famousfrank.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
UNDERGROUNDkiteboards

rspinto
Rare Poster

Postby rspinto » Thu Apr 17, 2008 10:10 pm

How about March,April or May? Anyone knows how is the weather?

I'm planning a caribean trip in 2009... but still looking for the best islands to kite... any suggestions?

:jump:

Eduardo
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2003
Favorite Beaches: Anywhere with a left break
Style: waves and foiling (X big-air junkie)
Gear: Ocean Rodeo and Cabrinha kites. North and Slingshot boards. Lift foils.

Postby Eduardo » Fri Apr 18, 2008 3:05 am

spring is prime time for wind for the Caribbean. so it's more about what else you want - waves, flat water, party atmosphere, scuba, ...

windfinder.com has a lot of wind data, but not accurate on every island (only if the airport gets a clean wind reading). a few major places are also overviewed including wind data on sites like http://www.skyriders.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Return to “Kitesurfing”