Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Who are the current top wave riders on our planet?

Forum for kitesurfers
dakitemon
Rare Poster
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Who are the current top wave riders on our planet?

Postby dakitemon » Sun May 04, 2008 9:20 pm

Anyone which Naish kite and what size Ian is flying in the movie

Thanks

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Peter_Frank » Sun May 04, 2008 9:51 pm

Alan wrote:SWK, you may not have actually said "right" or "wrong", but you certainly implied it over and over, loud and clear, articulating surfing at a higher level as reasoning. But really you are coming from a "coolness" standpoint rather than performance. Just admit it.

My opinion is that strapless does not allow surfing at a higher level, its just more fun for some (myself included in certain conditions). On a bigger board, it allows more foot movement, which is necessary. On a smaller board, no advantage, just the fun factor.

As for unhooked, I've done it, I rode fixed for years. Its fun and at first feels like it frees up my lower and mid body. But it is limiting. For example, is there anyone in the world who can do a round house cutback upwind unhooked (side shore wind)? Nope. Not even on a super small C kite. On a modern high depower kite hooked in this is no problem.

I actually think that unhooked is the reason good surfers think we look like crap in the waves (they are right). Unhooked riders are often out of position on the wave, either too far ahead of the peak, or too far out in the flats. And once they are out of position, they can't get back against the pull of the kite.

Also, holding the bar restricts arm movement. All good surfers pre-rotate or swing their arms and whole upper body in advance of a powerful turn. This is impossible holding the bar and to me compared to surfing without the bar, feels like counter rotation (in other words, it feels awkward - even more awkward than I am naturally :lol: ).

So SWK, how do you propose to get higher performance with those two limiting factors unhooked: Lack of depower and restricted arm movement? Hook back in with a modern kite and see what it feels like to free your WHOLE body and stay in the sweet spot on the wave. Turn as hard as you want when ever the wave dictates, even up wind.

Please don't say to edge hard against the kite to force it to the edge of the window for depower. Edge against the kite while on the wave and you can't feel the wave. I guess its fine if thats your style, just don't call it surfing with a kite. More like wake boarding with a surf board in the waves, slamming into the peak once in a while, spending most of your time edging out in the flats. Thats what I see when I watch videos of unhooked "surfing".

Alan
Very very good points, and I agree !

You get so limited when unhooked, even while it at first feels more free maybe...

But upper body freedom and movement means a lot to me, no doubt.

As it does for many surfriders too :thumb:

Some like one it one way, others like it another way 8)
No "right or wrong", or even general "trends" here IMO.

Kindly, Peter Frank

MonkeyAir
Very Frequent Poster

Postby MonkeyAir » Sun May 04, 2008 10:12 pm

Hi Dakitmon.
Ian was on a Cult. He is a very light guy and it was a relatively small one. I tried the helix and did not think it turned well however my buds say the cult turns better. If you are light enough in weight to use a small enough flat kite like the cult. (basically a bow with two points) even in lighter winds, you have the advantage of maintaing resonable turning speed while maximizing power when you need it. Personally like the fastest turning sle for my lard arse or the new synergy kites in surf dependent on wind direction, etc. JMHO and everyone has one. Just have fun in the waves and ride what your local conditions and your body proportions and local conditions dictate. We have another light rider who uses nothing but a Cabi 9 meter strapless or straped for everything and rips up the waves with a very smooth style as well. Amazing what you can make work. Make what you have work for you and then when you do buy " the ultimate wave kite", you will be that much better on it and learned from the dynamic flying and board skills your less high performance kite demanded of you.

surfingwithkites
Very Frequent Poster

Postby surfingwithkites » Mon May 05, 2008 8:09 am

"SWK, you may not have actually said "right" or "wrong", but you certainly implied it over and over, loud and clear, articulating surfing at a higher level as reasoning. But really you are coming from a "coolness" standpoint rather than performance. Just admit it."

Wrong again. Sorry but what I am saying is exactly what I said. 1.strapless riding will get more popular especially among the top riders. 2. the next generation of waveriders will be more interested in strapless riding than in strapped riding. 3. increased influence from skating and surfing vs. windsurfing and wakeboarding.

I am just noticing the way it's going. I do think riding is improving and a think a big part of that improvement is due to strapless riding. And it is purely based on performance. There is nothing "cool" about kiting in any form. It's just fun to do and ride however you like but I think the next generation is going to laugh at foot straps and take the sport in new directions to new levels.

As for the comments about unhooked riding, Alan writes, "I actually think that unhooked is the reason good surfers think we look like crap in the waves (they are right). Unhooked riders are often out of position on the wave, either too far ahead of the peak, or too far out in the flats. And once they are out of position, they can't get back against the pull of the kite.

Also, holding the bar restricts arm movement. All good surfers pre-rotate or swing their arms and whole upper body in advance of a powerful turn. This is impossible holding the bar and to me compared to surfing without the bar, feels like counter rotation (in other words, it feels awkward - even more awkward than I am naturally ).

So SWK, how do you propose to get higher performance with those two limiting factors unhooked: Lack of depower and restricted arm movement? Hook back in with a modern kite and see what it feels like to free your WHOLE body and stay in the sweet spot on the wave. Turn as hard as you want when ever the wave dictates, even up wind.

Please don't say to edge hard against the kite to force it to the edge of the window for depower. Edge against the kite while on the wave and you can't feel the wave. I guess its fine if thats your style, just don't call it surfing with a kite. More like wake boarding with a surf board in the waves, slamming into the peak once in a while, spending most of your time edging out in the flats. Thats what I see when I watch videos of unhooked "surfing"."

I think your are completely wrong. Maybe your kites are too big? Maybe your kites are too grunty? The best riding I see is being done by guys like Hat, Felix, Reo, Skip Wunderlich, Bertrand Fleury, etc. All Unhooked. How do you explain their success? Why aren't all the top waveriders jumping on bows and riding hooked in? Please don't give me the old "they don't know how to fly them" crap. Any of these guys can get max performance from any kite in about half an hour.

As for the "For example, is there anyone in the world who can do a round house cutback upwind unhooked (side shore wind)? Nope. Not even on a super small C kite. On a modern high depower kite hooked in this is no problem." Could you please post a bit of video of someone doing one of these "no problem" cutbacks? I have never seen a good one. Not one. Just ass dragging laybacks and weak tail slides hanging from the chicken loop. The best I have seen have been done on C kites.

surfingwithkites
Very Frequent Poster

Postby surfingwithkites » Mon May 05, 2008 8:20 am

Before you go flapping your jaws anymore here's an example of an unhooked snap. Reo, sideshore wind. Now you can post one of those awesome hooked in cutback sequences for us.
Attachments
ZU3A7755.jpg
ZU3A7757.jpg
ZU3A7758 - Version 2.jpg
ZU3A7759.jpg

surfingwithkites
Very Frequent Poster

Postby surfingwithkites » Mon May 05, 2008 8:32 am

here's one of felix in side offshore wind, pretty fricken offshore actually and not a bad wrap around snap with a bucket or two of spray. Unhooked on one of those nasty little C kites as usual. Don't be deceived by the chop out the back. It is sideshore outside but very offshore in the surf. Notice the little sprays lifting off the wall in front of him.
Attachments
LF7W0373 - Version 2.jpg

surfingwithkites
Very Frequent Poster

Postby surfingwithkites » Mon May 05, 2008 8:36 am

Oh, yeah, forgot to add on the reo shots, notice that he did not "come from the flats edging against his kite" but was just riding normally down the line like someone paddle surfing or riding unhooked correctly would do. Look at his track. The track never lies.

blowhard
Very Frequent Poster

Postby blowhard » Mon May 05, 2008 5:05 pm

I still don't get it

Kiting in the waves
remains a very personal feeling for me
and if no one ever does it like me or me like them
thats fine.
Linking turns with authority and grace with a flow that matches the wave,
is what I aspire to

I used to promote turning the kite every time I turn my board
which is often .
But i've seen folks rip it up when riding thier kite in "park"
and they were having just as much fun
so who's to say
not me
I'll leave that to the experts

surfingwithkites
Very Frequent Poster

Postby surfingwithkites » Mon May 05, 2008 5:31 pm

yep, for about the thousandth time, personal riding is just for fun, anything goes, who cares. But this thread was never about that. When you look at the top level and the sport as a whole different styles and trends are noticeable and some techniques and equipment choices work more effectively and come to be generally accepted. Like surfboards in the surf for example. Are there any top riders still on twin tips? I think a lot of people take this type of discussion personally. I do not and just call it like I see it. This seems to upset a lot of people.

blowhard
Very Frequent Poster

Postby blowhard » Mon May 05, 2008 5:54 pm

can you blame them?
it's a very subjective topic
and without any parameters
or precedence
because the "Top riders"
never win contests
because there are no contests
so it's just a matter of opionion
like everything in this world
therefore an exercise in futility

Return to “Kitesurfing”